Marijuana penalties
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:15:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Marijuana penalties
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Assuming marijuana is illegal, what should be the punishment for possessing marijuana?
Confiscation

Pay a Fine

Community Service

Jail Time

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Marijuana penalties  (Read 5513 times)
Bdub
Brandon W
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2006, 01:53:18 PM »

Since its illegal I would say a fine and confiscation are sufficient.  Really it should be legal.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2006, 08:47:34 PM »

It should be legal with a sin tax on it.

But if it has to be illegal I'll take a fine of $1 over confiscation because confiscation will always cost more than $1. =)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2006, 10:36:40 PM »

None, but if there must be a penalty, a fine would be the most appropriate.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2006, 10:37:44 PM »

Unless it's not, and in this case, it shouldn't be, in my opinion.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2006, 01:35:16 AM »

A fine of $500 per half ounce, and jail time if more than 10 oz.

That filth has no place among decent people.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2006, 01:48:02 AM »

No one cares about your subjective preference, prude. 

Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2006, 01:52:48 AM »

It was my opinion, and I gave it, brain-damaged degenerate
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2006, 01:57:43 AM »

Your opinion is hardly 'yours', worker - it is formed by your working-class experience.  You see drugs as a threat because you come from a poor community, where it is normal for drugs to be taken to emeliorate the miseries of oppression.  Conversely, drugs are used freely by your betters, with no ill effect.  Please, in future, Storebought, try to be more self-aware about the sources of your limited, simpleminded, intolerant, bourgeois morality.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2006, 02:05:02 AM »

Your opinion is hardly 'yours', worker - it is formed by your working-class experience.  You see drugs as a threat because you come from a poor community, where it is normal for drugs to be taken to emeliorate the miseries of oppression.  Conversely, drugs are used freely by your betters, with no ill effect.  Please, in future, Storebought, try to be more self-aware about the sources of your limited, simpleminded, intolerant, bourgeois morality.

Not that you are even worth wasting words upon, you hyena, but for the benefit of other people:

The San Francisco Chronicle ran an entire series of articles on the destructiveness that drugs played on profiled Bay Area residents, including, yes, rich people, who suffer as badly, physically, from the aftereffects as any other person. The worst drug of the lot was certainly crystal meth, but even that wasn't taken in isolation to others, including weed and alcohol.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2006, 08:26:24 AM »

Not that you are even worth wasting words upon, you hyena, but for the benefit of other people:

The San Francisco Chronicle ran an entire series of articles on the destructiveness that drugs played on profiled Bay Area residents, including, yes, rich people, who suffer as badly, physically, from the aftereffects as any other person. The worst drug of the lot was certainly crystal meth, but even that wasn't taken in isolation to others, including weed and alcohol.

I'm with you, Storebought.  Drugs are highly destructive to both rich and poor people.  Of course, richer people have more of a margin for error, and can afford better treatment, etc., so drug use sometimes doesn't end up affecting them as badly as poor people.  OTOH, it sometimes takes them from rich or comfortable to poor.  Drugs ruin many lives, and I applaud you for saying so.  Many people who think they don't do any damage are highly naive, or in the case of the previous poster, malicious.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2006, 05:03:40 PM »

confiscation, very small fine, it really  should be legal

Since its illegal I would say a fine and confiscation are sufficient.  Really it should be legal.

^^^^^^^
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2006, 07:09:36 PM »

I take it you don't drink either?
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2006, 07:12:46 PM »

I get embarrassed when I look at what I wrote just yesterday.

I think all drugs should be legalized.  Who are we to judge whether it's wrong to abandon your children, or steal from others to support a drug habit.  Most of the people that do these things are victims, and in any case, they steal mainly from the owning class.  If we had the type of redistribution that we should, there would be no need for them to steal.  So I can't really think that it's wrong.

And as far as parenting goes, there are only subjective ideas of what good parenting is.  The worst kind of family in any case is the highly repressive and sexist nuclear family.  Any alternative is better, so to the extent that drug use degrades the nuclear family, it is positive.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2006, 11:56:33 PM »

Assuming marijuana is illegal, what should be the punishment for possessing marijuana?

What they do in Singapore.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2006, 12:01:19 AM »

Assuming marijuana is illegal, what should be the punishment for possessing marijuana?

Caning?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2006, 12:03:28 AM »

Caning?

I think murder.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2006, 12:05:35 AM »

Ah.  Well, that is an example of a true police state, opebo; the USA is simply police state-lite.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2006, 12:06:40 AM »

Ah.  Well, that is an example of a true police state, opebo; the USA is simply police state-lite.

Well, at least they don't have hordes or repressive Christian fundamentalists there, as they have in the Bad Place.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2006, 12:07:24 AM »

No, overall Singapore is slightly more free - their oppression of drug-related freedom is about as bad as the US, but they tolerate prostitution.

Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2006, 12:07:37 AM »

I get embarrassed when I look at what I wrote just yesterday.

I think all drugs should be legalized.  Who are we to judge whether it's wrong to abandon your children, or steal from others to support a drug habit.  Most of the people that do these things are victims, and in any case, they steal mainly from the owning class.  If we had the type of redistribution that we should, there would be no need for them to steal.  So I can't really think that it's wrong.

That's not true. Drug addicts steal from among their own cadre of society, mostly other poors.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2006, 12:09:10 AM »

No, overall Singapore is slightly more free - their oppression of drug-related freedom is about as bad as the US, but they tolerate prostitution.

Due to poverty, opebo.  The bad place has a larger owning class than singapore, therefore, more prostitues run the streets of sinapore.  It is harder to control, and even undesirable to do so.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2006, 12:13:06 AM »

Due to poverty, opebo.  The bad place has a larger owning class than singapore, therefore, more prostitues run the streets of sinapore.  It is harder to control, and even undesirable to do so.

No, Singapore has a similar standard of living to that of the Bad Place, Tweed.  Certainly nearly every prostitute I encountered there was a foreigner from Indonesia, mainland China, the Philipines, or Thailand, working temporarily, and allowed in for that positive social purpose.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2006, 12:15:24 AM »

No, Singapore has a similar standard of living to that of the Bad Place, Tweed.  Certainly nearly every prostitute I encountered there was a foreigner from Indonesia, mainland China, the Philipines, or Thailand, working temporarily, and allowed in for that positive social purpose.

I will bow to your expertise on SE Asia.  I was simply making inferences.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies