AL-SEN: It’s Tuberville (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 09:11:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  AL-SEN: It’s Tuberville (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will Doug Jones get a higher or lower vote share than Heidi Heitkamp did in 2018?
Higher

Lower

About the same

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 273

Author Topic: AL-SEN: It’s Tuberville  (Read 55767 times)
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« on: February 20, 2019, 03:28:19 PM »

It's possible. This is Alabama after all, and Maddox lost by 19 to Ivey just last November. I could easily see Jones losing by the same margin, especially if Byrne is the nominee.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 09:05:00 PM »

Another Confederate monument goes down.

This much is true. Wasn't Sessions named after Jefferson Davis and Confederate General P.G.T. Beauregard? It's ironic that such a racist man named after Confederate traitors proved to be "out of step" with Trump, all because he recused himself from the Mueller investigation. At any rate, I'm glad that Sessions lost. His attempts to re-ingratiate himself with Trump were humiliating, and his time in politics was for too long. Hopefully, we will never hear about him again until he dies.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 10:19:29 PM »
« Edited: July 15, 2020, 05:33:05 AM by Brittain33 »

Embarrassing for Sessions that he won only three counties-Madison, Wilcox, and Mobile. Although his loss was expected, it's still astounding to me that a four-term Senator, who represented the state for 20 years, could not do better than this.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 10:41:21 PM »

Can someone please explain to me what Sessions has done (or not done) to become the "liberal" candidate in this run-off, and lose badly?

By "recusing" himself from the Mueller investigation and thereby earning Trump's unending hatred. Trump endorsed Tuberville in the primary, and has repeatedly made clear his negative views about Sessions. Many in Alabama's Republican electorate, moreover, believe that Sessions is part of the "swamp" and that he betrayed Trump through his recusal.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 01:43:14 PM »

Rip Jones not all heroes wear capes

I commend Jones for sticking to his principles and voting his conscience. He knows he has no chance at winning reelection, and is obviously looking beyond his time in the Senate. It's a shame, really, because his successor (Tuberville) will be a considerable downgrade. There's also something interesting about Jones I found out recently which I didn't know before: he worked as a staffer for the last Democratic Senator of Alabama before him, the late Howell Heflin. And Heflin, as I recall, blocked his ultimate successor in the Senate, Jeff Sessions, from getting a seat on the federal judiciary because of the racism allegations against him.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 03:53:48 PM »

Who is this woman?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 04:52:14 PM »

Who is this woman?
It's Doug Jones' wife. It's a good strategy to use her to tell people he's a moderate on abortion. They need to get that across or else some people will never vote for him but it makes it an easier pill to swallow for pro-choice people if a woman is the one explaining his position. Safe R race but thought I would share this ad.

I see. To think that if Alabama were still as inclined to vote for downballot Democrats as it was in 1990, the year when Jones' mentor and former boss, Howell Heflin, won his last term in the Senate, Jones would be on his way to a landslide reelection against the undistinguished Tuberville. But instead, he's going to lose, for no other offense but that he has a D next to his name.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies