Erasing the Confederacy -How Far Would you Go?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 11:13:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Erasing the Confederacy -How Far Would you Go?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8
Poll
Question: Which of the following do you sanction?
Removing the Confederate flag from public grounds and license plates

Removing Confederate monuments from public grounds

Removing Confederate names from roads, bridges, highways, schools, etc

Getting rid of Confederate History Month

Getting rid of Confederate holidays

Forbidding private homeowners from flying the Confederate flag on their property

Other (please specify, in case I missed anything)

NOTA

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 277

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Erasing the Confederacy -How Far Would you Go?  (Read 23712 times)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: June 15, 2018, 04:01:27 PM »

I was informed someone is gonna errect a 20 ft tall confederate monument near one of the main bridges in my town. Unfortunately for them they are gonna need a special use permit which requires city council.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #126 on: June 17, 2018, 12:54:59 PM »

The rebel flag is not only a symbol of hatred and racism (and not heritage), but it's also a symbol of an armed, organized insurrection against the United States of America. As a patriot, I think flying it, even on private property, should be banned. I also would support all the other choices in the poll.

This "Southern pride" flag thing should have been nipped in the bud over a century ago, and now we're paying the price for tolerating treason and rebellion
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #127 on: June 17, 2018, 01:28:51 PM »

As a patriot, I think flying it, even on private property, should be banned.

Claims to be a patriot ... opposes the bill of rights.
Wink
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #128 on: June 17, 2018, 03:47:08 PM »

Wink

Article III Section 3 Clause 1
You must be logged in to read this quote.

The CSA was an enemy of the USA during its entire existence, and the principles for which it stood continue to be antithetical to the USA.  The Bill of Rights does not include the right to engage in treasonous speech.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #129 on: June 17, 2018, 05:09:15 PM »

Wink

The CSA was an enemy of the USA during its entire existence, and the principles for which it stood continue to be antithetical to the USA.  The Bill of Rights does not include the right to engage in treasonous speech.

Yes it does. Not that flying a flag whose meaning is subjective from person to person is treasonous speech. Plus in this specific case, we are not at war with anyone who uses that flag, and flying it is in to way giving aid or comfort to the enemy.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #130 on: June 17, 2018, 07:26:11 PM »

Wink

Yes it does. Not that flying a flag whose meaning is subjective from person to person is treasonous speech. Plus in this specific case, we are not at war with anyone who uses that flag, and flying it is in to way giving aid or comfort to the enemy.

We never had a peace treaty with the Traitorous government.  We did give pardon to those who abjured their treason, but clearly if you are wanting to fly a banner, you aren't abjuring them.  You're embracing their causes, and the whole reason the Confederacy came to be was the preservation and advancement of racial slavery.  Being Southern doesn't mean you have to be Confederate, which is mistake made all too often by those on all sides of the issues of Southern identity.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #131 on: June 17, 2018, 07:34:49 PM »

There is precisely nothing treasonous about a private citizen flying the Stars and Bars in Anno Domini 2018. I'd rather support an individual's right to free expression, than back the wrong-headed, alarmist position of someone who is ignorant of broader historical realities.

When I see this kind of stupidity being pushed, it's usually from Yankees North of the Mason-Dixon Line.

Flying the Stars and Bars is not something I would ever do but I respect the right of a law-abiding citizen to disagree with that.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #132 on: June 17, 2018, 07:41:18 PM »

And for the record I am not disagreeing with Ernest on the nature of the Confederacy itself - but I do think that the fact is that there's a massive difference between, say, being on the level of Jesse Bright, and flying the Stars and Bars today.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #133 on: June 17, 2018, 07:43:56 PM »

When I see this kind of stupidity being pushed, it's usually from Yankees North of the Mason-Dixon Line.

Of course. We won, and are thus divorced from anachronistic sympathies for a despotic, ill-fated slaveocracy.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #134 on: June 17, 2018, 07:48:36 PM »

Of course. We won, and are thus divorced from anachronistic sympathies for a despotic, ill-fated slaveocracy.
Well the Confederacy was a bunch of Southern states that spent years in mental asylum (with their problems getting worse every minute) thanks to problems inherent in protecting and supporting the institution on which they had staked their society and economy.

The North won the war for much the same reason why the Bolsheviks won the Russian Civil War - they had the factories, and most of the population.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #135 on: June 17, 2018, 09:37:07 PM »

I remember seeing a listing on a dumb twitter posts at one time, and some idiot bought a Confederate Flag, and posted "I hope this is the UK Flag, because if not, then I just wasted my money".
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #136 on: June 17, 2018, 10:36:37 PM »

And for the record I am not disagreeing with Ernest on the nature of the Confederacy itself - but I do think that the fact is that there's a massive difference between, say, being on the level of Jesse Bright, and flying the Stars and Bars today.

And for the record, I think such a ban wouldn't be a good policy, tho flying that flag in anything other than very limited historical contexts can't reasonably interpreted as anything other than an endorsement of white supremacy.

The South is not the Confederacy and those who both oppose and support white supremacy who try to equate the two are simultaneously insulting the South and praising the Confederacy.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #137 on: June 30, 2018, 06:57:05 PM »

I have a Confederate flag sticker on my car right now.  It's all about loving the old ways of doing things

The “old way” being the suppression of women, African-Americans, and other minority groups?
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #138 on: July 01, 2018, 12:11:37 AM »

And for the record, I think such a ban wouldn't be a good policy, tho flying that flag in anything other than very limited historical contexts can't reasonably interpreted as anything other than an endorsement of white supremacy.

The South is not the Confederacy and those who both oppose and support white supremacy who try to equate the two are simultaneously insulting the South and praising the Confederacy.
Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #139 on: July 03, 2018, 02:08:37 PM »

I definitely believe that the confederate flag should not appear on public grounds, at that confederate liscense plates should not be issues.  While many of the rest are gray areas, I wouldn't oppose a community taking down confederate monuments.  To be honest, I didn't really realize there were confederate holidays, so I doubt many people would miss them if they were gone.  As for renaming everything, I guess I don't really see the point. Every other street in the south is named after a confederate, and this one could get out of hand fairly quickly as we begin to view historical figures differently.  Private citizens should have the right to fly the flag though, even though it's pretty despicable. 
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #140 on: July 04, 2018, 10:05:38 PM »

Only option 1.

People need to experience history in order to not repeat it.

Because Germans drive up and down Adolf Hitler Parkway in Berlin, or else they might do another Holocaust.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #141 on: July 05, 2018, 05:42:33 AM »

Well the Confederacy was a bunch of Southern states that spent years in mental asylum (with their problems getting worse every minute) thanks to problems inherent in protecting and supporting the institution on which they had staked their society and economy.

The North won the war for much the same reason why the Bolsheviks won the Russian Civil War - they had the factories, and most of the population.

Gee, you almost make it sound like erecting a treasonous government to defend slavery was actually a bad idea, and hurt the common Southerner in the long run! So curious then that people seem to think the CSA was on their side.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #142 on: July 05, 2018, 09:15:46 PM »

A panel of historians have sent a report to the Richmond City Council recommending pulling down the statue of Jefferson Davis, but leaving the others up along Monument Avenue, though not without adding appropriate context to them:

Monument Avenue Commission: Remove Jefferson Davis monument, reinterpret others honoring Confederacy

Thoughts?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #143 on: July 05, 2018, 09:29:53 PM »

A panel of historians have sent a report to the Richmond City Council recommending pulling down the statue of Jefferson Davis, but leaving the others up along Monument Avenue, though not without adding appropriate context to them:

Monument Avenue Commission: Remove Jefferson Davis monument, reinterpret others honoring Confederacy

Thoughts?

Davis is the only non-Virginian monument there.
American_Aristocracy
Rookie

« Reply #144 on: July 07, 2018, 06:14:11 PM »

Fun fact: the official "confederate" flag is acctually the Virginia battle flag used by the confederacy. It ticks me off so much that I wish schools would use the actual flag that the confederate states of America used to declare their independence and not Virginia's battle flag.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #145 on: July 07, 2018, 07:59:50 PM »

Fun fact: the official "confederate" flag is actually the Virginia battle flag used by the confederacy. It ticks me off so much that I wish schools would use the actual flag that the confederate states of America used to declare their independence and not Virginia's battle flag.

The CSA never declared independence.  Rather each state that seceded declared independence and then the first seven to do so got together to form the CSA.  Fairly easy for them to do as they used the Federal Constitution and laws as their blueprint.  Of course, they made a few tweaks such as being honest about calling slaves "slaves" instead of "other Persons".  Unlike their descendants, those who seceded were proud about the fact they did so to ensure the right of white men to own African slaves would not be impaired.
Higgins
« Reply #146 on: April 25, 2019, 03:08:44 PM »

Removing memorials from public grounds, removing Confederate History Month, things along that line.

I would not remove street or base names because some of the names are rather cool. I would not want to rename Fort Hood or Fort Benning for example. Their names are just too cool and have too much history behind them besides the Confederacy. If a state votes to include the Confederate flag somewhere in a license, that is their right. If an idiot wants to display it publicly, that is also their right.
Wazza [INACTIVE]
Wazza1901
« Reply #147 on: April 26, 2019, 03:21:30 AM »

I think these are issues that should be left to the states with the exception of 6 which is a blatant violation of the 1st amendment. If I was a politician on the state level I'd support option 1 though.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #148 on: April 30, 2019, 06:18:04 PM »
« Edited: April 30, 2019, 06:25:43 PM by Blind Jaunting »

Neither of the option presented counts as "erasing". Erasing the confederacy would mean suppressing the knowledge and memory of its existence. What we're discussing is repudiating it, just like (Godwin alert) removing all Nazi symbolic after the WWII was to repudiate that system, not to pretend it never existed.

And yes, it should go all the way down to prohibiting confederage rag being flown on private properties. A guy flowing a Nazi flag on his own backyard in German would have a prosecutor on his ass and rightly so.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #149 on: May 01, 2019, 05:15:27 PM »

Neither of the option presented counts as "erasing". Erasing the confederacy would mean suppressing the knowledge and memory of its existence. What we're discussing is repudiating it, just like (Godwin alert) removing all Nazi symbolic after the WWII was to repudiate that system, not to pretend it never existed.

This is the most annoying aspect of confederate monument defenders who scream "LIBS ARE ERASING HISTORY." Monuments are not vessels of historical knowledge so much as they are vessels of historical narratives. If you want to learn about the Confederacy, you can pick up a book about it anytime. It's a stupid argument for stupid people who only understand history through the lens of what society glorifies most publicly, which is exactly why people want the monuments to come down; they romanticize an atrocious cause completely disconnected from today's values and distort peoples' understanding of their own country's history.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies