Pennsylvania SSM ban struck down (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 01:17:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Pennsylvania SSM ban struck down (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pennsylvania SSM ban struck down  (Read 4241 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: May 20, 2014, 08:07:36 PM »

Yeah, good ruling. PA joins the rest of the N.E.

Ha, if Corbett would appeal I would laugh. It would be viewed as a colossal waste of time and money. I'm sure he'd love to appeal it, though.

An appeal could be denied for lack of standing of the appellant.

As governor, he likely has standing.  Not 100% certain, but he likely does since unlike in Oregon, there was a defense presented in this case.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 11:34:14 AM »

It doesn't get mentioned a lot, but the Eighth Circuit upheld Nebraska's gay marriage ban in 2006. I think that court's an even bigger possibility for a circuit split (if that case didn't already establish a split).
I can't see where any pre-Windsor circuit decisions on the issue could be used to justify the existence of a circuit split.  Indeed, it's fairly clear that the Eighth Circuit ruling then was in line with the precedents available, plus the only reason the Eighth even took the case was because Judge Bataillon of the Nebraska District is an overreaching activist idiot.  Two of his three arguments for overturning it were of such bogosity, its hard to believe someone who wasn't suffering from advanced dementia would think they had any soundness so I hope Bataillon included them solely in hopes that when appealed, the circuit court would be satisfied to throw out his two totally bogus justifications while leaving his third intact.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies