Pennsylvania SSM ban struck down
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:48:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Pennsylvania SSM ban struck down
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Pennsylvania SSM ban struck down  (Read 4238 times)
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2014, 10:29:57 PM »

If the trend continues and the Federal judges keep overturning bans and appellate courts back them up, this may never get to the SCOTUS (who tend to take cases where there is disagreement between lower courts). That being said, I suspect at least one Fed. Appellate court is going to hold up a SSM and my money is on the 5th Circuit (TX,LA,MS) which is heavily balanced to GOP nominees
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2014, 12:21:06 AM »

If the trend continues and the Federal judges keep overturning bans and appellate courts back them up, this may never get to the SCOTUS (who tend to take cases where there is disagreement between lower courts). That being said, I suspect at least one Fed. Appellate court is going to hold up a SSM and my money is on the 5th Circuit (TX,LA,MS) which is heavily balanced to GOP nominees

Also, the gray and green states have no federal case. The Wyoming Supreme Court could strike down the statute ban though. Not sure about Arkansas.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2014, 08:12:50 AM »

What do the asterisks mean?
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2014, 09:07:38 AM »

I'd assume it's where the states AG aren't fighting it.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2014, 11:46:09 AM »
« Edited: May 21, 2014, 11:51:10 AM by angus »

Meanwhile, at the Lancaster County Courthouse, Nathan Lewandowski and Daniel Potts celebrate receiving their marriage license this morning.  

Read all about Lancaster County's first same sex couple here.

That's how we roll in Dutch Country, boys.  

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2014, 12:01:08 PM »
« Edited: May 21, 2014, 12:10:46 PM by Grumps »

Meanwhile, at the Lancaster County Courthouse, Nathan Lewandowski and Daniel Potts celebrate receiving their marriage license this morning.  

Read all about Lancaster County's first same sex couple here.

That's how we roll in Dutch Country, boys.  

hot (normal)

Allegheny County was busy too  http://www.post-gazette.com/local/city/2014/05/21/Same-sex-couples/stories/201405210151
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2014, 12:47:55 PM »

Is Corbett delusional enough to attempt to appeal?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2014, 12:48:27 PM »

Is Corbett delusional enough to attempt to appeal?

Yes.
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2014, 01:05:10 PM »

Not surprising. I don't expect him to get far though.

BTW, Grumps, I remember your own prediction on this:
Surprised?Wink
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2014, 01:38:33 PM »

BTW, Grumps, I remember your own prediction on this:
Surprised?Wink

Uh, click that quote, bro.  The title of that thread was "Which states will fully legalize ........"  PA didn't legalize it, a federal judge did.  Don't question your Uncle Grumps.  Tongue
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2014, 02:18:12 PM »

Corbett isn't appealing.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2014, 02:26:27 PM »

he's quite the opposite imo.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2014, 02:32:58 PM »

Now this is irony. Tongue

"As BuzzFeed notes, however, Pennsylvania has become the first state where same-sex couples can legally marry, but can still be legally fired from their jobs simply for displaying their wedding photos on their desks at work."

Amazing how in the course of only two days, the number of US states allowing same-sex marriages has increased from 17 to 19. Smiley
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2014, 10:13:50 PM »

Now this is irony. Tongue

"As BuzzFeed notes, however, Pennsylvania has become the first state where same-sex couples can legally marry, but can still be legally fired from their jobs simply for displaying their wedding photos on their desks at work."

Amazing how in the course of only two days, the number of US states allowing same-sex marriages has increased from 17 to 19. Smiley
Yet more evidence that even more basic gay rights issues have yet to be resolved, and that marriage, while important, is far less important than other stuff that hasn't been pushed through in many states yet.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2014, 08:03:28 AM »

It doesn't get mentioned a lot, but the Eighth Circuit upheld Nebraska's gay marriage ban in 2006. I think that court's an even bigger possibility for a circuit split (if that case didn't already establish a split).
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2014, 11:30:21 AM »

It doesn't get mentioned a lot, but the Eighth Circuit upheld Nebraska's gay marriage ban in 2006. I think that court's an even bigger possibility for a circuit split (if that case didn't already establish a split).

Sure, but the Eighth Circuit will still have to decide if that's still good law post-Windsor. They were relying on Baker v. Nelson before, the case from the 70s where the Supreme Court refused to hear the case "for want of a substantial federal question." The Court obviously no longer thinks there's no federal question there. That being said, I certainly don't expect every circuit court to come out the same way on this. It's going to the Supreme Court.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2014, 11:34:14 AM »

I can't see where any pre-Windsor circuit decisions on the issue could be used to justify the existence of a circuit split.  Indeed, it's fairly clear that the Eighth Circuit ruling then was in line with the precedents available, plus the only reason the Eighth even took the case was because Judge Bataillon of the Nebraska District is an overreaching activist idiot.  Two of his three arguments for overturning it were of such bogosity, its hard to believe someone who wasn't suffering from advanced dementia would think they had any soundness so I hope Bataillon included them solely in hopes that when appealed, the circuit court would be satisfied to throw out his two totally bogus justifications while leaving his third intact.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2014, 12:19:20 PM »

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2014, 10:04:03 PM »

The Winfield legacy lives on.