NYC approves apartment building with separate entrance for poor people (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 12:23:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NYC approves apartment building with separate entrance for poor people (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NYC approves apartment building with separate entrance for poor people  (Read 5582 times)
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« on: July 21, 2014, 02:14:10 PM »

They own the building at the end of the day.

Someone owned the lunch counters at Woolworths as well.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 03:49:25 PM »

They own the building at the end of the day.

Someone owned the lunch counters at Woolworths as well.
Yes, they did. And the Civil Rights movement suceeded in tainting Woolworth's in the eyes of history as well.

What about those who were oppressed before we were able to see what the "eyes of history" saw?
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 08:37:37 AM »
« Edited: July 23, 2014, 08:40:29 AM by Paul Kemp »

If this is as horrible as some people are making it out to be, than future generations will look back at it and shake their heads while my opinion remains in the shadowy corners of my own mind (and this internet forum).

Right, but why wait, if it is something legitimately terrible i.e. the Woolworth's counters? To simply wait and let history decide what was terrible does nothing for people who are being affected by such issues at the moment. We're supposed to let them be martyrs so that history can look back in 20 years and say "oh yea, that's wrong" or we can do something to address the issue as it arises?

I don't necessarily think that this is the case with the issue at hand (although the mentality that some don't want to interact with "poor people" or whatever coded language you want to use is despicable yet hardly unsurprising and sets a bad precedent, for sure)  and seems to just be stirring a big pot of internet outrage but the argument that "they own the building, let them do as they please" is incredible dangerous as history itself (!) has shown. If we're supposed to learn from history, why wait again to see what "history decides" or whatever?

Important issues, like segregation, need real action - not a prolonged public relations campaign.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 08:56:37 AM »
« Edited: July 23, 2014, 08:59:38 AM by Paul Kemp »

Paul Kemp's surprising comparison with the Woolworth's counter is quite off. It's as if I was to insist upon access to the gym because my neighbor has access. It's not at all the same. I'm surprised he made it.

It wasn't a comparison to this particular instance (as my post immediately preceding yours states, if you read it...) but rather addressing idea that ownership overrides all.

Also, in terms of your comparison: wouldn't it be more like you and a low income person both have gym membership to the same gym but you get to go in through the  front door while they must go in around back? Admittedly, you both may have different levels of membership to that particular gym, with different fees paid.

EDIT: This was written before you edited your post. Yes, the first class plane ticket comparison is much better and more apt.

I'm surprised he made it. I mean really, I wasn't expecting such a thing from Kemp.

?
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 09:12:21 AM »

This all being said, I think we can agree that David Von Spreckelsen himself needs a lesson in public relations language. That quote in the article... oof...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies