SENATE BILL: 21st Century Civilian Conservation Corps Act (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 12:02:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: 21st Century Civilian Conservation Corps Act (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: 21st Century Civilian Conservation Corps Act (Passed)  (Read 1296 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« on: January 27, 2021, 05:35:58 AM »

Don't we have already lots of units dedicated to conserving natural environments and what not? I imagine at the very least there are various police and firefighting units dedicated to that. Perhaps even some units of the US military?

I guess one more can't hurt, but is there the need to create even further units? Are the current units not enough?

If the current units are currently overwhelmed, this bill is a great idea. If not, I am less convinced about the bill.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 07:15:52 AM »

For compensation, I'm inclined to favor a $15 wage. Probably going to need the CG for a cost estimate.

My go-to methodology for costing bills is to keep it as simple as possible. This generally ends up as extremely inaccurate, but an inaccurate process is better than a non-existing process.

For this bill in particular, the cost would be $15 x (hours worked) x (number of workers) as we'd assume they all get minimum wage Tongue

However, didn't you already specify a fixed cost for this bill of $16 billion in section 4a? Is that $16 billion per year or $16 billion to divide among 4 years? (ie $4 billion)

Worth noting that with that $16 billion cap, and asuming the workers would work 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week, and would work for 47 weeks every year (4 weeks summer vacation + 1 week miscellaneous holidays), that means that we could hire approximately 567 000 people.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 07:33:12 AM »

Yeah, Scott is right in that this is basically 567k jobs for one year. (you of course can have more jobs is you have them as part time)

I had not completely thought about that side of the argument but this could certainly work as a covid stimulus.

The federal budget is just shy of $4000 billion (excluding the 5 trillion in Covid stimulus passed by Pericles) so this is certainly a cheap bill that creates quite a lot of jobs.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 12:04:14 PM »

Motion for a final vote
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain