French Municipal elections - 2nd round 28 June 2020 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 10:24:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  French Municipal elections - 2nd round 28 June 2020 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: French Municipal elections - 2nd round 28 June 2020  (Read 19600 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: April 02, 2020, 08:35:27 AM »

I really can't understand how the government can decide to postpone an election without the Senate's approval.
I guess the only option to do it was to invoke article 16. And clearly that is way too extreme.

The same way all the governments of the Fifth Republic override the Senate every time it tries to oppose anything. It's a routine procedure.

Would the right have cried bloody murder over it? Sure. That just means they'd end up with an egg on their face when the government is proven right and the epidemic ramps up.

From what I understand, the President of Senate was ready to refer everything to the Constitionnal Council, through.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 02:53:20 PM »

I really can't understand how the government can decide to postpone an election without the Senate's approval.
I guess the only option to do it was to invoke article 16. And clearly that is way too extreme.

The same way all the governments of the Fifth Republic override the Senate every time it tries to oppose anything. It's a routine procedure.

Would the right have cried bloody murder over it? Sure. That just means they'd end up with an egg on their face when the government is proven right and the epidemic ramps up.

From what I understand, the President of Senate was ready to refer everything to the Constitionnal Council, through.

So what? The Council would have no basis for striking down the law. There is ample precedent for this.

The issue would be the incertainty caused by the whole process.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies