Should the Washington Redskins change their name? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 11:47:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should the Washington Redskins change their name? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should the Washington Redskins change their name?
Yes
No
No Opinion
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Should the Washington Redskins change their name?  (Read 23589 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: June 03, 2014, 06:01:22 PM »

Warriors would be pretty good actually. That was what the local high school on the Reservation where I initially grew up called their sports teams.

I didn't know you grew up on a rez. Are you part Native Am?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 11:02:26 AM »

This will be overturned like it was last time.  It also guarantees Snyder will never change it.

I suspect you're right on the former point, George, but question the latter. Maybe, just maybe, this'll be the fig leaf needed for the team to just start moving to change the name "to avoid legal fees and uncertainty" or the like?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 11:14:04 AM »

This will be overturned like it was last time.  It also guarantees Snyder will never change it.

I suspect you're right on the former point, George, but question the latter. Maybe, just maybe, this'll be the fig leaf needed for the team to just start moving to change the name "to avoid legal fees and uncertainty" or the like?

Probably not. While the loss of registration will make going after those who infringe upon it more difficult as they'll only be subject to civil rather than criminal penalties, it can still be done.  Plus if they make certain that all of their licensed products also have the NFL logo on them somewhere, those criminal penalties would still apply to any otherwise indistinguishable knockoffs.

But wouldn't any knockoff that simply avoids also using the NFL logo thus escape criminal prosecution (asks the prosecutor who can barely spell "patent law")?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 11:46:21 AM »

Probably not. While the loss of registration will make going after those who infringe upon it more difficult as they'll only be subject to civil rather than criminal penalties, it can still be done.  Plus if they make certain that all of their licensed products also have the NFL logo on them somewhere, those criminal penalties would still apply to any otherwise indistinguishable knockoffs.

But wouldn't any knockoff that simply avoids also using the NFL logo thus escape criminal prosecution (asks the prosecutor who can barely spell "patent law")?

Perhaps, but Badg, Snyder will spew his own money now on legal fees just to make a point, and I don't think he cares how much it costs to make his point.

You know Snyder's MO better than I. If so, that's disappointing.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 12:17:57 PM »

So perhaps the real question is, do you guys not think "redskins" is a racist slur on par with calling an Asian person "yellow" or even the N word? That is what separates this name from the others.

No. I think it's been the name of a football team since 1932, and a team who has seen some of the finest in the game pass through their facilities thoughout the years,  nothing more.

Their football tradition won't end by a long-overdue name change. If anything, the name taints that tradition.

If they'd been founded in 32 as the Washington N*****s (or some other equally racist ethnic slur), their 80+ years of many great players wouldn't warrant keeping the name a day longer.

The only difference is there are relatively few Native Americans in DC or nationally who can bring sufficient political or economic clout to bare.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 01:13:21 PM »

So perhaps the real question is, do you guys not think "redskins" is a racist slur on par with calling an Asian person "yellow" or even the N word? That is what separates this name from the others.

No. I think it's been the name of a football team since 1932, and a team who has seen some of the finest in the game pass through their facilities thoughout the years,  nothing more.

I am not saying that the organization itself is using it as a slur, or even used it to offend Native Americans in 1932 (many wouldn't have found the n-word offensive back then either). Still, you don't deny that this is a slur that was used against Native Americans in the past, do you?

I can stipulate to that, but I don't see it as being on the same scale of "n" like some have stated.
On that we firmly disagree.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 12:08:30 PM »

Why the leftist outrage on steroids over this all of a sudden? The team has been around for ages.

We can change the team name to the "Washington Tea Party."

Because it never stops for them. 10 years from now they'll be called conservatives backwards for not wanting public nudity.

These people need to be stopped because if they go too far, they'll begin hurting our country and those who hurt our country get punished.

I don't take these people seriously because they're cowards. They spew hatred even more than the worst on the right, and yet what would they fight with? Granola? They're harmless but their rhetoric is dangerous.
LOL! Good old Reaganfan the gift that keeps on giving.

I'm tired of liberals wanting to punish many to please a select few.

As usual, Naso, your posts makes one want to wish you well in recovering from your traumatic head injury, and that you'll soon be on the road to speach without drooling and eating with a knife and fork.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 10:46:47 AM »

I forgot people like Eazy-E and other rappers use the term n*gger so it's perfectly o.k. 

No it's not perfectly okay, but to claim that redskin is at the exact same level as n in terms of offensiveness is an absurd oversimplification.

Oh God. Roll Eyes

As much as I disagree, can we agree it is at LEAST as offensive as "darkie" rather than debating over semantics? Please??
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 10:03:21 PM »

I forgot people like Eazy-E and other rappers use the term n*gger so it's perfectly o.k. 

No it's not perfectly okay, but to claim that redskin is at the exact same level as n in terms of offensiveness is an absurd oversimplification.

Oh God. Roll Eyes

As much as I disagree, can we agree it is at LEAST as offensive as "darkie" rather than debating over semantics? Please??

No. It was never intended to be a racist name in any way shape or form. "Darkie" most certainly is meant that way.

Oh George. Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies