Al Franken accused of sexual harassment (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 01:29:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Al Franken accused of sexual harassment (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Al Franken accused of sexual harassment  (Read 28201 times)
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: November 24, 2017, 04:40:06 PM »

The Senate could expel him, but for various reasons I'm not sure Democrats want to do that

They should want to. Aside from being, you know, the right thing to do, it would also put Republicans on the spot if Moore wins so that they have to expel him as well.

Don't be naive. Republicans have nothing to lose by not following political norms. If that was true, we wouldn't have Neil Gorsuch on the Supreme Court right now. I could come up with a few more examples if you'd like to debate this point further.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 06:06:19 PM »

The Senate could expel him, but for various reasons I'm not sure Democrats want to do that

They should want to. Aside from being, you know, the right thing to do, it would also put Republicans on the spot if Moore wins so that they have to expel him as well.

Don't be naive. Republicans have nothing to lose by not following political norms. If that was true, we wouldn't have Neil Gorsuch on the Supreme Court right now. I could come up with a few more examples if you'd like to debate this point further.

Having a pedophile as a member of their Senate caucus is something a little different PR-wise than breaking procedural norms that no person outside of the Beltway ever cared about to begin with.

I'd also add that unlike with Gorsuch, expelling Moore also costs them nothing in terms of policy, since he'd just be replaced by another Republican.  For that matter, I'm assuming McConnell and probably the entirety of the rest of the Senate GOP caucus would rather have some other Ivey-appointed Republican in that Senate seat over Moore.

Bannon goes scorched Earth on the Republicans if they expel Moore. His name will be used as a rallying cry throughout primary season if he is removed because of liberal media smears and establishment backroom calculations.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies