If you voted solely on economic issues....
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 10:09:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  If you voted solely on economic issues....
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: Which party would you be in?
Republican

Democratic

Libertarian

Green

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 82

Author Topic: If you voted solely on economic issues....  (Read 7797 times)
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2010, 03:45:34 AM »

Both Parties as presently arranged are great centralizers of power: the Democrats are right for wanting to champion the needs of the working class

Some Democrats do. Let's not forget the DLC types or the record amounts of money the financial sector poured into Obama's campaign...

Point taken. Nevertheless, I think the pro-business Democrats are better at putting a pro-business philosophy into practice than are pro-business Republicans. I can't think of a single Republican that could have replicated the successes of the 1990s.

The Congress that oversaw it?

Roll Eyes

Not hardly. They largely opposed the DLC programmes that made the 1990s the economic juggernaut it was - Clinton's massive expansion of the EITC, for instance. Gingrich openly campaigned against it in his Contract on America, and - behold! - that decade saw the highest period of growth for the lowest tax percentile since the 1950s.

I am very tired of this old canard. Clinton was always the DLC's man.

The '90s were not a product of any particular policy but rather than technological revolution that was taking place, the rise of computers and the Internet, mass communications, etc.

Let's not forget that the bubble burst relatively quickly.

But it was largely Clinton's moderate, business-friendly image that fostered the rapid growth in the technological sector. And while the bubble did burst, it's still probably the most promising sector for economic growth for the foreseeable future.

Business-friendly Republicans and business-friendly Democrats are not the same beast. The former is extremely skeptical of real technological innovation; the latter makes it a central part of their policy. The former represents the established industries, the latter those which are struggling to be established.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2010, 03:50:06 AM »

Both Parties as presently arranged are great centralizers of power: the Democrats are right for wanting to champion the needs of the working class

Some Democrats do. Let's not forget the DLC types or the record amounts of money the financial sector poured into Obama's campaign...

Point taken. Nevertheless, I think the pro-business Democrats are better at putting a pro-business philosophy into practice than are pro-business Republicans. I can't think of a single Republican that could have replicated the successes of the 1990s.

Roll Eyes

Not hardly. They largely opposed the DLC programmes that made the 1990s the economic juggernaut it was - Clinton's massive expansion of the EITC, for instance. Gingrich openly campaigned against it in his Contract on America, and - behold! - that decade saw the highest period of growth for the lowest tax percentile since the 1950s.

The '90s were not a product of any particular policy but rather than technological revolution that was taking place, the rise of computers and the Internet, mass communications, etc.

But it was largely Clinton's moderate, business-friendly image that fostered the rapid growth in the technological sector. And while the bubble did burst, it's still probably the most promising sector for economic growth for the foreseeable future.

Business-friendly Republicans and business-friendly Democrats are not the same beast. The former is extremely skeptical of real technological innovation; the latter makes it a central part of their policy. The former represents the established industries, the latter those which are struggling to be established.

Naturally, I disagree. As a business-friendly Republican (and I mean small businesses and entrepreneurs, not transnational corporations), I am a big proponent of the use of technologies and investments to encourage new ideas, market-based proposals to enable the working class an opportunity to make their own life, and to increase productivity.

I see much more room for this philosophy within the Republican party.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2010, 03:59:04 AM »

Roll Eyes

Naturally, I disagree. As a business-friendly Republican (and I mean small businesses and entrepreneurs, not transnational corporations), I am a big proponent of the use of technologies and investments to encourage new ideas, market-based proposals to enable the working class an opportunity to make their own life, and to increase productivity.

Then good for you. You ought to try to make the Republicans more flexible in the industries they represent. But I guarantee you now that you will face stiff opposition in this - conservatism, while perfectly happy to conserve those industries which have proven profitable, is hardly willing to take a change on upsetting the established order. You'll have my support; now if only you can get yours.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2010, 04:01:36 AM »

Roll Eyes

Then good for you. You ought to try to make the Republicans more flexible in the industries they represent. But I guarantee you now that you will face stiff opposition in this - conservatism, while perfectly happy to conserve those industries which have proven profitable, is hardly willing to take a change on upsetting the established order. You'll have my support; now if only you can get yours.

Politics is about packaging, and, moreso, politics is local.

I think "conservatism" needs to be "unredefined", that is, returned to its original meaning. Would Mr. conservative, Senator Taft himself, supported many of GWB's policies? I think not. Likewise, he would be disgusted with the Democrats at least as much.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2010, 08:27:15 AM »

I do and I want nothing to do with any of those parties.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2010, 01:18:35 PM »
« Edited: January 04, 2010, 01:20:24 PM by Mideast Assemblyman True Conservative »

Obviously Republican, though on economics the Libertarians are good too.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2010, 03:44:44 PM »

Still at home as a Democrat, but I'm finding both parties have issues with spending.  The GOP branding themselves as fiscal conservatives is an utter joke.  When the GOP was in power it was the Democrats who made a stink about tax cuts for big oil and spending on cronies.  It seems "fiscal discipline" will always be the minority party's battle cry for no party will really own that issue.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2010, 03:45:32 PM »

Of these, Libertarians, though I don't trust them much either.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2010, 03:45:55 PM »

Economic issues are the only real reason I am a Democrat.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2010, 03:48:16 PM »

Obviously Republican, though on economics the Libertarians are good too.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2010, 04:19:27 PM »

RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2010, 06:11:53 PM »

Democratic, easily, though perhaps Green occasionally.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2010, 06:38:40 PM »

Democrat, because the Republican party is too corporatist.

and favors the wealthy at the expense of ordinary Americans. Sure Democrats are very pro-wealthy as well, just slightly less than the Republicans.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2010, 07:29:51 PM »

Democrat
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2010, 07:36:36 PM »

Yeah, just change to Republican and I agree. As far as social issues, I'm a Dem.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2010, 07:40:45 PM »

Yeah, just change to Republican and I agree. As far as social issues, I'm a Dem.

My social issues are centrist, maybe RINO if I were a Republican, but social issues matter very little to me.  My foreign policy, though, is certainly on the Republican end of the spectrum.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2010, 10:46:38 PM »

My social issues are centrist, maybe RINO if I were a Republican, but social issues matter very little to me.  My foreign policy, though, is certainly on the Republican end of the spectrum.

I'm a moderate on foreign affairs; I support the ongoing conflict in Afghanistan and I am an internationalist. I would have opposed Iraq vigorously back in '03. However, once the wars are over, I think we should reduce our spending in the area.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2010, 10:51:30 PM »

Libertarian
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2010, 10:58:17 PM »

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2010, 11:02:03 PM »

I would be independent. Both parties are infested with special interests, and libertarians and greens are too ideological.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2010, 11:58:45 PM »

Democratic/Green
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2010, 04:22:50 AM »

Roll Eyes

Politics is about packaging, and, moreso, politics is local.

I think "conservatism" needs to be "unredefined", that is, returned to its original meaning. Would Mr. conservative, Senator Taft himself, supported many of GWB's policies? I think not. Likewise, he would be disgusted with the Democrats at least as much.

Why are you people debating over stuff that was said 4 years ago?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2010, 04:40:19 AM »

Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2010, 04:46:09 AM »

That depends what level you're talking about. Locally? Independent or Republican, depending on the candidate. Nationally? Libertarian of the above, though I have serious issues with them.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2010, 07:51:57 AM »

Democratic on balance. The Republican record vis-a-vis economics is poor to say the least and their rhetoric contrasts a lot with their actual policies. Though I'm not much of a fan of the Democrat's protectionist tendencies.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies