How electable would the GOP be in your country? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:40:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  How electable would the GOP be in your country? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How electable would the GOP be in your country?  (Read 7094 times)
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« on: February 12, 2005, 11:11:02 AM »

It is a very difficult question to answer, because the USA and the UK are very different countries with different aspirations and outlook.

In general the UK electorate is probably left of centre and lays a strong emphasis on the social responsibilites of government for health, social security, education etc. Since WW2 up until the advent of Margaret Thatcher in 1979, the UK was run by a certain degree of consensus politics, with conservative and labour governments competing to build more council housing. Thatcher smashed the consensus and introduced the concept of the individual..."there is no such thing as society". In my opinion, much of Thatcher's ideas are now discredited, and two successive unprecedented landslide elections have shown that society is as important to the British electorate as it ever was.

To get back to the point, I think that with this background the GOP would struggle. Many would find it's economic policies of interest, but social conservatism and overt shows of religious piety would drive people away in thousands.

There is no doubt that if the UK had a US system Democrats v Republicans.......the Democrats would win by a landslide.

Also on a final point, too many people associate the Republican party with Mr Bush. I know politics are not about personalities.....but most British citizens seem to personally loathe the man with a passion.

I agree. The UK would be predominantly Democrat

The Republicans would be sunk under GWB as far as us Brits are concerned. You know me, I'm no fan and I'm about the only person I know who can remotely say anything good about the man!

I know from electioneering a common gripe many traditional Labour voters have with TB is because of GWB

Dave
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005, 11:29:50 AM »

In my country the Republicans would do very well.  They would hold the presidency and majorities in both houses of congress.

Really? I mean considering the Christian Democrats aren't that right

Dave
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies