Census 2020 Citizenship Question looking to be upheld (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 08:44:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Census 2020 Citizenship Question looking to be upheld (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Census 2020 Citizenship Question looking to be upheld  (Read 3433 times)
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« on: May 10, 2019, 08:37:55 AM »

It's deference to the executive branch that seems to be what the majority is looking at. Both Gorsuch & Kavanaugh treated citizenship inquiries as unremarkable in their questions during the oral arguments.

This. Frankly I tend to agree. I've never thought it was a good argument here or in the immigration case to make the argument that "well yes any other President could do this but Trump is uniquely so bad that otherwise legitimate presidential powers can never, ever, ever be exercised by him but only by him because him am bad!"

To add to this, I did some research into the prior use of the citizenship question on the long form used through 2000. The question went to 1 out of 6 household so the statistics are highly relevant. There was a drop off in participation across all groups for the long form which isn't surprising given the time the long form took to complete. There was also a drop off in participation by minorities and immigrants on both forms which is independent of the citizenship question. I could not find that there was a steeper drop off by immigrants than what would be expected by the combined statistics of the two separate factors of long form and lower immigrant response on all forms.

It is especially interesting to look at CA comparing the 1990 response rate to that of 2000. Prop 187 (1994) denied services to illegal immigrants and might have been expected to further undermine counts in that state. However Gov Davis invested state funds to spend on city census committees and the result was an increase in minority and immigrant participation in 2000 compared to 1990 despite the onus of Prop 187.

The CA experience in 2000 suggests that reduced response rates by immigrants and minorities can be more than overcome through state and city investment in Census Complete Count efforts. Another way of saying it is that a public education campaign has more positive impact than the negative impact of a citizenship question.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 10:51:50 PM »

It's deference to the executive branch that seems to be what the majority is looking at. Both Gorsuch & Kavanaugh treated citizenship inquiries as unremarkable in their questions during the oral arguments.

This. Frankly I tend to agree. I've never thought it was a good argument here or in the immigration case to make the argument that "well yes any other President could do this but Trump is uniquely so bad that otherwise legitimate presidential powers can never, ever, ever be exercised by him but only by him because him am bad!"

To add to this, I did some research into the prior use of the citizenship question on the long form used through 2000. The question went to 1 out of 6 household so the statistics are highly relevant. There was a drop off in participation across all groups for the long form which isn't surprising given the time the long form took to complete. There was also a drop off in participation by minorities and immigrants on both forms which is independent of the citizenship question. I could not find that there was a steeper drop off by immigrants than what would be expected by the combined statistics of the two separate factors of long form and lower immigrant response on all forms.

It is especially interesting to look at CA comparing the 1990 response rate to that of 2000. Prop 187 (1994) denied services to illegal immigrants and might have been expected to further undermine counts in that state. However Gov Davis invested state funds to spend on city census committees and the result was an increase in minority and immigrant participation in 2000 compared to 1990 despite the onus of Prop 187.

The CA experience in 2000 suggests that reduced response rates by immigrants and minorities can be more than overcome through state and city investment in Census Complete Count efforts. Another way of saying it is that a public education campaign has more positive impact than the negative impact of a citizenship question.

All well and good, except that the intent is inherently corrupt. No one is honestly expecting to accurately gauge the number of undocumented immigrants via voluntary responses. So what's the purpose? To produce a deliberate under-count that benefits the GOP politically.

in 2009 and 2010 I went to a number of redistricting conferences in advance of the Census data release. At more than one of those meetings I listened to lawyers who typically worked with Dems talk with regret about the lack of a citizenship question in 2010. In 2007 SCOTUS ruled that CVAP data was the appropriate set to use in VRA cases but it was only in the ACS data after 2005 and didn't align with the Census data. The result was that there was going to be less accuracy and therefore a more difficult time winning VRA cases.

The current intent may not be based on protecting minority rights under the VRA, but having that data will benefit those making legal challenges. And as I pointed out the data shows that a state can overcome the negative stigma of the question if they want to make the effort.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies