Should Donald Trump be granted a pardon by his successor?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 12:17:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should Donald Trump be granted a pardon by his successor?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Should Donald Trump be granted a pardon by his successor?
Yes, no matter what

Depends on the severity of charges

No, but Trump should get off lightly

LOCK HIM UP!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 61

Author Topic: Should Donald Trump be granted a pardon by his successor?  (Read 1989 times)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2017, 02:13:22 PM »

nope.

The point of pardoning Nixon was to move on from something unprecedented that scarred the nation.

There is no such point now, we're so polarized that no matter what happens, one side will be bitter anyway. Mike Pence would be loathed and crucified by the left no matter what. And no Democratic successor would consider it in their right mind.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2017, 02:16:06 PM »

.... Treason is an exception. If we found evidence Trump deliberately collaborated with Russia to interfere with the election then I would say jail is appropriate.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2017, 03:01:18 PM »

I disagree. The disgrace of a President is enough. If we start jailing our presidents the precedent is set that they can never act ethically grey and legally questionable (and this is most pertinent during wartime).

Seeing a President in jail would possibly destroy the Right and set off an irreversible chain of events that would damage the nation's two party system. Had Nixon gone to jail Reagan might have never had the chance to persuade voters in the 80s to give him a chance to turn around the country.

Every one of our presidents since Reagan had committed crimes by the way. When we jail a president a future president is going to think twice before possibly taking an action that benefits the national interest.

Treason is an exception. If we found evidence Trump deliberately collaborated with Russia to interfere with the election then I would say jail is appropriate. Otherwise pardon him, move on, and punish the appropriate parties through the political process and jail lesser subordinates.

Trump has done enough damage to our institutions. Let's not let him derail the system further.

What about making Trump pay for anything he did before his presidential campaign? It's not like the presidency is/has corrupted Trump, he was corrupted long before he ever stepped foot in that office. Even if you exclude god knows how many cases of sexual assault over the years, he has been involved in a large number of shady business deals/practices as well. There may (or may not) be something there.

I don't know, maybe it's his gross mistreatment of women that has me feeling so vindictive, but if he leaves office and gets a pardon, I'm not against state prosecutors pouring over his business dealings and other activities and charging him if they find anything blatantly illegal. America shouldn't have to deal with this kind of crap from the Trump family anymore.

I get the message it sends, but these people have been wiping their ass with this country's laws for years.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2017, 03:23:35 PM »

I want him out of the USA.  I want him to be disgraced.

We are at fault as a nation for accepting a President who did such objectionable stuff as mocking the disabled or bragging about grabbing women by their crotches. We should have never tolerated the beating of hecklers or the use of religious bigotry. Enough people are culpable of bad judgment in electing him.

Exile as a form of punishment is out of fashion these days, alas.

Well maybe there is a possibility .....
We can ask for the Italian government's permission to send the orange slug to the Island of Elba.
Some people have described him, as having a Napoleon "Little-Hands" Complex.

I think St. Helena would be the better choice.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies