The Bible and Homosexuality (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 09:46:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  The Bible and Homosexuality (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Bible and Homosexuality  (Read 8505 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: January 29, 2008, 05:04:38 PM »

The Bible says a man shall not lay with another man; same for women.  I know it says other things, but I can't think of them at the moment.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 03:14:22 PM »

The Bible says a man shall not lay with another man; same for women.  I know it says other things, but I can't think of them at the moment.

Actually, the only mention of lesbianism is in St. Paul's letter to the Romans, not in the famed Leviticus 18:20 mentioned above.  Lesbianism isn't mentioned one way or the other in the Old Testament.

In I Corinthians, Paul says that effeminate men will not get into Heaven.

Actually, the condemnation of homosexuality goes into far more intricate passages.  Genesis 19 implies that Sodom was destroyed for condoning that practice (and showing really, really bad hospitality), and though the crime of Ham in Genesis 9 is not made clear (Ham "saw his father's nakedness" while Noah was drunk, and Noah "saw what was done to him" and cursed Ham's son Caanan), the Bible does use "saw _____'s nakedness" as an euphenism for sex, could be viewed as a statement that Ham raped his father, leading to the severity of the curse.

On the other hand, David loved Jonathan...let me find the phrase...ah yes..."Thy love was wonderful to me, passing the love of woman."  And David loved a lot of women, so Jonathan must've been one special guy.

If you're implying that David and Jonathan had a homosexual relationship, I'm inclined to disagree with you.  The Rabbis have never considered the idea, and it is not mentioned in the text.  Also, my Bar Mitzvah passage was the Noah story, and I do not think that Ham raped Noah, as you seem to say.  Rather, I think Ham was just making fun of his drunk and naked dad.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 09:22:17 PM »

Actually, the only mention of lesbianism is in St. Paul's letter to the Romans, not in the famed Leviticus 18:20 mentioned above.  Lesbianism isn't mentioned one way or the other in the Old Testament.

In I Corinthians, Paul says that effeminate men will not get into Heaven.

Actually, the condemnation of homosexuality goes into far more intricate passages.  Genesis 19 implies that Sodom was destroyed for condoning that practice (and showing really, really bad hospitality), and though the crime of Ham in Genesis 9 is not made clear (Ham "saw his father's nakedness" while Noah was drunk, and Noah "saw what was done to him" and cursed Ham's son Caanan), the Bible does use "saw _____'s nakedness" as an euphenism for sex, could be viewed as a statement that Ham raped his father, leading to the severity of the curse.

On the other hand, David loved Jonathan...let me find the phrase...ah yes..."Thy love was wonderful to me, passing the love of woman."  And David loved a lot of women, so Jonathan must've been one special guy.

If you're implying that David and Jonathan had a homosexual relationship, I'm inclined to disagree with you.  The Rabbis have never considered the idea, and it is not mentioned in the text.  Also, my Bar Mitzvah passage was the Noah story, and I do not think that Ham raped Noah, as you seem to say.  Rather, I think Ham was just making fun of his drunk and naked dad.

Eh, the Jonathan/David thing was just teasing.

But seriously, you think Noah cursed his grandson (and descendants thereof) to eternal slavery because Ham laughed at his dad's penis?  Damn, that's a harsh family.

Noah got Old Testament on Ham's ass Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies