The National Weekly Atlasian
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:23:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The National Weekly Atlasian
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 69
Author Topic: The National Weekly Atlasian  (Read 172623 times)
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: December 26, 2008, 02:48:50 PM »
« edited: December 28, 2008, 12:07:01 AM by Senator-elect SPC »

OP-ED: Regions Are Active, Contrary to Popular Myth
by South Park Conservative

One commonly repeated myth around Atlasia used to deny regional rights is that regions are inactive. However, using the midterm elections' results, this just doesn't add up. In the December Senate elections, using a system that head anti-regionalist Senator Jas set up a year ago, there were only 6 active candidates for a 5-person position, of which only 4 were on the ballot. This is hardly a sign of an active system. But, you may add, many regional elections are uncontested as well. However, if one is the look at turnout, the "inactivity" myth against regions doesn't hold up. While the national Senate elections had only 49% turnout, the Pacific's elections, which actually had two contested races, had 61% turnout. The Midwest had 47% turnout, despite the election being for a trivial position. Even the Southeast, whose elections are still going on, has 48% turnout so far, despite both the Governorship and Lt. Governoship being uncontested.  Additionally, the Southeast has several close elections on regional propositions, another sign of an active region. It is clear from these results that either the activity gap between regional elections and federal elections is nonexistant or insignificant.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #376 on: December 26, 2008, 03:00:26 PM »

One commonly repeated myth around Atlasia used to deny regional rights is that regions are inactive. However, using the midterm elections' results, this just doesn't add up. In the December Senate elections, using a system that head anti-regionalist Senator Jas set up a year ago, there were only 6 active candidates for a 5-person position, of which only 4 were on the ballot. This is hardly a sign of an active system.

But, you may add, many regional elections are uncontested as well. However, if one is the look at turnout, the "inactivity" myth against regions doesn't hold up. While the national Senate elections had only 49% turnout, the Pacific's elections, which actually had two contested races, had 61% turnout. The Midwest had 47% turnout, despite the election being for a trivial position. Even the Southeast, whose elections are still going on, has 43% turnout so far, despite both the Governorship and Lt. Governoship being uncontested.  Additionally, the Southeast has several close elections on regional propositions, another sign of an active region. It is clear from these results that either the activity gap between regional elections and federal elections is nonexistant or insignificant.

The system I put forward helped maintain the election as a vigorously competitive one evidenced by the fact that your own publication wasn't prepared to call it until 17 minutes before the close of polling. Compare that with the regional elections which were they are almost entirely mere formalities. How many of those elections were in any doubt at all? How many regional candidates faced any genuine opposition?

In the Senate election candidates actively campaigned for the seats, either through their own threads, answering publicly submitted questions from voters, or through targetted PMs. Pray tell, how much similar activity did we see from the gloriously active and fruitful regional candidates?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #377 on: December 26, 2008, 03:05:15 PM »

I think the idea of 3 regions with each having a senator plus a council of governors of 7 at large seats is best.  The 7 at-large split into 4 and 3. With six month senate terms, the seats will be more in demand and harder to grab.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #378 on: December 26, 2008, 03:09:50 PM »

One commonly repeated myth around Atlasia used to deny regional rights is that regions are inactive. However, using the midterm elections' results, this just doesn't add up. In the December Senate elections, using a system that head anti-regionalist Senator Jas set up a year ago, there were only 6 active candidates for a 5-person position, of which only 4 were on the ballot. This is hardly a sign of an active system.

But, you may add, many regional elections are uncontested as well. However, if one is the look at turnout, the "inactivity" myth against regions doesn't hold up. While the national Senate elections had only 49% turnout, the Pacific's elections, which actually had two contested races, had 61% turnout. The Midwest had 47% turnout, despite the election being for a trivial position. Even the Southeast, whose elections are still going on, has 43% turnout so far, despite both the Governorship and Lt. Governoship being uncontested.  Additionally, the Southeast has several close elections on regional propositions, another sign of an active region. It is clear from these results that either the activity gap between regional elections and federal elections is nonexistant or insignificant.

The system I put forward helped maintain the election as a vigorously competitive one evidenced by the fact that your own publication wasn't prepared to call it until 17 minutes before the close of polling. Compare that with the regional elections which were they are almost entirely mere formalities. How many of those elections were in any doubt at all? How many regional candidates faced any genuine opposition?

In the Senate election candidates actively campaigned for the seats, either through their own threads, answering publicly submitted questions from voters, or through targetted PMs. Pray tell, how much similar activity did we see from the gloriously active and fruitful regional candidates?

Under ordinary circumstances, I would have called the race much earlier. However, given that I was a candidate in the election, I bent over backwards to avoid personal bias. You also forget to mention that two of the candidates' elections were called before the voting booth even opened and an additional candidate was called on the first day of voting. The Pacific region faced what started out as a close race, but became a landslide when JCPers came out to vote for CultureKing and Alcon. Additionally, the Midwest Lt. Gov. election was a close race between GMantis and TCash, with several other write-in candidates also receiving votes. In the Southeast, the outcome of three propositions is still in doubt, and won't be known until the booth closes. Mind you, any activity in the Senate elections, was due to the efforts of Franzl and I. Had we not declared our candidacies after the filing deadline, it would have been the most boring election in Atlasian history. I do not think it is a sign of active federal elections when all of the incumbents' re-elections were assured and the remaining closeness is between two last-minute candidates. Additionally, the fact that many people participated in the regional elections without being PMed shows that regional activity would be even higher if it warranted the same attention that national politics is.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #379 on: December 26, 2008, 03:10:58 PM »

I think the idea of 3 regions with each having a senator plus a council of governors of 7 at large seats is best.  The 7 at-large split into 4 and 3. With six month senate terms, the seats will be more in demand and harder to grab.

The point of this article was the show that, even without reform, regional politics is on average more active than national politics, even if it warrants less attention.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #380 on: December 26, 2008, 03:11:48 PM »

The point of this article was the show that, even without reform, regional politics is on average more active than national politics, even if it warrants less attention.
Yeah, because most people feel at this point national politics is pointless as only the select few senators really have much say.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #381 on: December 26, 2008, 03:23:04 PM »

Under ordinary circumstances, I would have called the race much earlier. However, given that I was a candidate in the election, I bent over backwards to avoid personal bias. You also forget to mention that two of the candidates' elections were called before the voting booth even opened and an additional candidate was called on the first day of voting.

During the final 10 hours before close of polls, there were perfectly reasonable scenarios where anyone could have lost.

The Pacific region faced what started out as a close race, but became a landslide when JCPers came out to vote for CultureKing and Alcon.

So you're defining these races as competitive?

Additionally, the Midwest Lt. Gov. election was a close race between GMantis and TCash, with several other write-in candidates also receiving votes.

Neither poster looked for the position. Nobody looked for the position.
If this is defined as competitive and interesting than your vision for the future of Atlasia then the game itself is in danger.

In the Southeast, the outcome of three propositions is still in doubt, and won't be known until the booth closes.

Nicely skipping over the elections there...

Mind you, any activity in the Senate elections, was due to the efforts of Franzl and I. Had we not declared our candidacies after the filing deadline, it would have been the most boring election in Atlasian history. I do not think it is a sign of active federal elections when all of the incumbents' re-elections were assured and the remaining closeness is between two last-minute candidates.

While the result placed the newcomers 5th and 6th, there was no safe seats.
And if you think the system prefers incumbents, see the result of the election of these seats 4 months ago when all incumbents were defeated.

Additionally, the fact that many people participated in the regional elections without being PMed shows that regional activity would be even higher if it warranted the same attention that national politics is.

Ridiculous. Completely ridiculous.
You have no basis on which to draw that conclusion.
How many people would have turned out without prompting for the national election?
How many people became aware of the regional elections because of the national elections?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #382 on: December 26, 2008, 04:03:50 PM »

Under ordinary circumstances, I would have called the race much earlier. However, given that I was a candidate in the election, I bent over backwards to avoid personal bias. You also forget to mention that two of the candidates' elections were called before the voting booth even opened and an additional candidate was called on the first day of voting.

During the final 10 hours before close of polls, there were perfectly reasonable scenarios where anyone could have lost.

Yes, but in the end, the election's results went as expected.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So you're defining these races as competitive?[/quote]

They were competitive, at least for the first few days of it.

If this is defined as competitive and interesting than your vision for the future of Atlasia then the game itself is in danger.[/quote]

You said that all of the regional elections were undoubtful, when in the Midwest Lt. Gov. election, anybody could have won. This Lt. Gov. election still got almost as much turnout as the national senate election did, so I would question your vision for the future of Atlasia when an unimportant regional election can get almost as much turnout as a national election.

Nicely skipping over the elections there...[/quote]

I admit that the other elections there were uncompetitive. Even Duke admits that he would have liked at least some competition.

And if you think the system prefers incumbents, see the result of the election of these seats 4 months ago when all incumbents were defeated.[/quote]

Turnout was down considerably from August, as well. I didn't say that this system is biased toward incumbents, I think it is biased toward disinterest.

How many people would have turned out without prompting for the national election?
How many people became aware of the regional elections because of the national elections?
[/quote]

Many people would have turned out without prompting for the national election, but I know from my own personal experience that turnout would have been considerably lower without prompting. When one adds in what it would have been without others prompting, turnout would have been even lower that it already was. Also, you neglect to mention that when a regional election had considerable attention paid to it, it got 12% higher turnout that the national election.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #383 on: December 26, 2008, 04:13:56 PM »
« Edited: December 26, 2008, 05:49:35 PM by Senator-elect SPC »

Franzl likely to be next AG

Senators Jas and PiT believe that, due to time constraints, recently defeated Senate candidate Franzl is likely to be the next Attorney General. Due to there being only three days left to present an Attorney General nominee, Jas believes that President Bgwah will settle for the simplest and most popular option by picking Franzl. Additionally, the time constraints would also force an easy Senate confirmation. At this point, I am inclined to agree, since Bgwah's main inactivity argument against Franzl is now not an issue.

EDIT: As predicted, Bgwah nominated Franzl for AG. I am almost certain that he will be confirmed. Hopefully, it won't take more than five days.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #384 on: December 26, 2008, 04:21:46 PM »

I applaud the pick of Franzl and plan to vote for his confimation ASAP.  Its important that Constine is convicted and convicted within the law
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #385 on: December 26, 2008, 05:14:50 PM »

Really? The RPP seemed to be talking up their ability to get 2 Senators elected as defying expectations.

So you're defining these races as competitive?

They were competitive, at least for the first few days of it.
[/quote]

Analysing Pacifican elections whilest ignoring possible JCP voters is far than sensible.

If this is defined as competitive and interesting than your vision for the future of Atlasia then the game itself is in danger.

You said that all of the regional elections were undoubtful, when in the Midwest Lt. Gov. election, anybody could have won. This Lt. Gov. election still got almost as much turnout as the national senate election did, so I would question your vision for the future of Atlasia when an unimportant regional election can get almost as much turnout as a national election.
[/quote]

Of course it was competitive, there were no candidates. 0
Nobody knew who, if anyone, was interested in the position.
Nobody expressed any interest in the job.
Spinning this as a positive is preposterous.

I admit that the other elections there were uncompetitive. Even Duke admits that he would have liked at least some competition.

And if you think the system prefers incumbents, see the result of the election of these seats 4 months ago when all incumbents were defeated.[/quote]

Turnout was down considerably from August, as well. I didn't say that this system is biased toward incumbents, I think it is biased toward disinterest.
[/quote]

Had we still be operating the system of single-member districts (which the now membership of the RPP wanted), then we would have had more races where there was only 1 candidate.
The new system means that for 3 straight elections, there have been no safe seats.
Find a regional position for which you can say the same.

Many people would have turned out without prompting for the national election, but I know from my own personal experience that turnout would have been considerably lower without prompting. When one adds in what it would have been without others prompting, turnout would have been even lower that it already was. Also, you neglect to mention that when a regional election had considerable attention paid to it, it got 12% higher turnout that the national election.
[/quote]

Turnout is only one measure of attention. How many posts did the regional elections generate in the main board? Compare that with the speculation for the national election.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #386 on: December 26, 2008, 05:39:20 PM »

Really? The RPP seemed to be talking up their ability to get 2 Senators elected as defying expectations.

I was referring to your saying that all of the incumbents appeared vulnerable at one point. The only true upset of the night was my victory over Franzl, and even that could have been averted if Franzl had declared early enough to vote for himself.

If this is defined as competitive and interesting than your vision for the future of Atlasia then the game itself is in danger.[/quote]

[/quote]

Spinning this as a positive is preposterous.[/quote]

Isn't that how Midwest elections are traditionally run?

Nicely skipping over the elections there...[/quote]

[/quote]

Had we still be operating the system of single-member districts (which the now membership of the RPP wanted), then we would have had more races where there was only 1 candidate.
The new system means that for 3 straight elections, there have been no safe seats.
Find a regional position for which you can say the same.[/quote]

The official party position is supportive of the new system. Even I now admit that districts were a bad idea from the start. However, I still don't believe that national elections are the way to go. Additionally, it might be considered ironic that if I hadn't moved to the Mideast, the most pro-regional rights region would have 4 senators in the upcoming Senate. Surely having several candidates for office is indicative of activity, is it not?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #387 on: December 26, 2008, 07:17:06 PM »

I was referring to your saying that all of the incumbents appeared vulnerable at one point. The only true upset of the night was my victory over Franzl, and even that could have been averted if Franzl had declared early enough to vote for himself.

We can debate this all you want. But as far as I'm concerned it is indisputable that the system maximised competition and ensured that the result wasn't certain until very near to the close of polling. The system may not be perfect, but it is far, far better than that which preceded it.

[/quote]

Spinning this as a positive is preposterous.[/quote]

Isn't that how Midwest elections are traditionally run?
[/quote]

Yes...1 candidate less than most regions manage.

[/quote]

Find a regional position for which you can say the same.[/quote]

The official party position is supportive of the new system. Even I now admit that districts were a bad idea from the start. However, I still don't believe that national elections are the way to go. Additionally, it might be considered ironic that if I hadn't moved to the Mideast, the most pro-regional rights region would have 4 senators in the upcoming Senate. Surely having several candidates for office is indicative of activity, is it not?
[/quote]

Interesting. So, by your standard, how many regions are demonstrating activity?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #388 on: December 26, 2008, 07:25:19 PM »

I'm really starting to like the 3-3-4 setup
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #389 on: December 26, 2008, 09:01:29 PM »

head anti-regionalist Senator Jas

I, for one, have always found Senator Jas a good friend of the Midwest Region Grin Cheesy Grin
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #390 on: December 27, 2008, 12:32:26 AM »

head anti-regionalist Senator Jas

I, for one, have always found Senator Jas a good friend of the Midwest Region Grin Cheesy Grin

Regardless of one's opinion of the Senator, one must consider one who considers regional politics to be "a joke" and wished to abolish regional senate seats an anti-regionalist.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #391 on: December 27, 2008, 09:41:38 AM »

Trondheim to Resign Senate Seat, Possibly as Early as Next Week
by DWTL

With the new senate approaching, PPT Lewis Trondheim (?-ND) has announced his plans to not seek re-election to the PPT post and possibly resign as early as next week.  He stated that if Sen. DWTL were to take over the post, he would resign immediatley.  Trondheim also indicated that DWTL was not the only senator that would make him come to this decision either.

Democratic Alliance Convention Begins

Looking a new centrist party, the Democratic Alliance has begun a founding convention.  Party founder Hashemite has set up an agenda for the convention which includes important issues such as party logos and flags.  While the party currently consists of only two elected officials and a leader who has never lead a party before, they hope to attract support for centrist causes.  They have already caught the eye of presumptive AG Franzl and Sen. AndrewCT.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #392 on: December 27, 2008, 12:13:03 PM »

While the party currently consists of only two elected officials and a leader who has never lead a party before, they hope to attract support for centrist causes.  They have already caught the eye of presumptive AG Franzl and Sen. AndrewCT.

False. I led the NRM a while back, which attracted a few members, including MasterJedi and Rocky. On another note, Franzl is already a party member.

As you might have noticed, the "party flags and logos" which you seem to mock here, is third on the DA convention's order of business, so it obviously isn't a top priority for the convention.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #393 on: December 27, 2008, 01:58:21 PM »

While the party currently consists of only two elected officials and a leader who has never lead a party before, they hope to attract support for centrist causes.  They have already caught the eye of presumptive AG Franzl and Sen. AndrewCT.
False. I led the NRM a while back, which attracted a few members, including MasterJedi and Rocky. On another note, Franzl is already a party member.
Forgive me if I am not impressed by that party's "success"
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #394 on: December 27, 2008, 02:57:41 PM »

Forgive me if I am not impressed by that party's "success"

The question is not whether or not you're impressed or anything, it's that what you wrote is false. Regardless of what you personally think. That's all.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #395 on: December 27, 2008, 03:02:35 PM »

The question is not whether or not you're impressed or anything, it's that what you wrote is false. Regardless of what you personally think. That's all.
What I said wasn't false, what I implied by "never lead a party before" was actually lead it somewhere.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #396 on: December 27, 2008, 03:04:33 PM »

What I said wasn't false, what I implied by "never lead a party before" was actually lead it somewhere.

That implication wasn't clear to me. I don't know if it was to others, but it certainly wasn't clear to me personally.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #397 on: December 27, 2008, 03:20:25 PM »

Whether or not the implication was clear to most people, I think it would be wise to avoid making implications in journalism. People count on it to present facts, & you don't want to risk them misunderstanding what you write.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #398 on: December 27, 2008, 08:23:13 PM »

While the party currently consists of only two elected officials and a leader who has never lead a party before, they hope to attract support for centrist causes.

Just curious Senator but I would like to ask how much research did you do prior to writing this article regarding the Democratic Alliance? No disrespect to you, but I believe if you had actually done more then you would discover that the Democratic Alliance currently has more than two elected officials.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #399 on: December 28, 2008, 08:47:39 AM »

While the party currently consists of only two elected officials and a leader who has never lead a party before, they hope to attract support for centrist causes.

Just curious Senator but I would like to ask how much research did you do prior to writing this article regarding the Democratic Alliance? No disrespect to you, but I believe if you had actually done more then you would discover that the Democratic Alliance currently has more than two elected officials.
Yourself and Happy, who else?  Franzl as the AG isn't an elected position
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 69  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies