Will Akin distract Romney/Ryan's pre RNC week? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:24:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Will Akin distract Romney/Ryan's pre RNC week? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will Akin distract Romney/Ryan's pre RNC week?  (Read 5174 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: August 20, 2012, 05:07:08 PM »

It is things like this that are the reason why I detest Mike Huckabee. Roll Eyes
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 06:23:40 PM »

More then likely he realizes that he has little impact on forcing him out. Someone with much more pull in the Socially conservative side of the party would have more effect and person with the best chance, is the one trying to coax him into some kind of stupid defense for himself.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 06:33:17 PM »

It is true that Mittens has plent of contacts in MO. The Blunt family, Talent and many others were supporters of his the first time he ran. Of course that didn't translate to votes against Santorum as we all no, and is probably of little consequence for the most part.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 07:02:04 PM »

So why wont Romney join the entire GOP establishment, including the head of the RNC, the Senate Minority Leader and the head of the NRSCC, and publicly call for him to step down.

I think by tomorrow if this guy isn't out Romney will be public about it. He cant just do this behind the scenes he has to take  stand on the record.

Leverage most likely. Romney is clearly in a weaker position then say Bush would have been if this were 2004. However, he does have some standing especially as the GOP Presidential candidate including instant means of denouncing Akin publically if Akin doesn't listen to reason. Romney has a long record of throwing even sitting Senators under the bus like he did with Larry Craig in 2007. Romney though has to be concerned about governoring and after Reid's tax accusations, Romney realizes that the chances of a productive relationship with Reid is dead and the only way to get anything done is to have Mitch in charge in the upper chamber. Therefore, rather then soley look after his own political gain, he also wants to try and salvage the seat if possible.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 07:15:42 PM »

well McConnel and Cornyn want him out so if Romney wanted to placate the Senate GOPers he would join them publicly

If Romney is negotiating with him, then no his leverage is best maintained by not making that step just yet.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 08:12:21 PM »

I think Republicans need to be more worried about putting a Senate seat on the table because of this comment.

I am pretty sure that is the primary consideration. No one would give a damn if this were CA or VT and would condemn the comments before sitting back and watching his crushing defeat by the Democrat.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 09:21:50 PM »

Todd Akin is a steadfast man of conviction, lawfully elected by the good voters of Missouri to represent them in Congress and to be on the ballot for the office of Senate this fall. That a sinister cabal of coastal GOP elites is trying to force this honest man off the ballot and nullify the voice of the people in the process, is sickening and shameful. Congressman Akin loves this country, because it is the only place on God's Earth where a man can freely express his opinion, but apparently the arrogant backstabbers at the NRC and NRSC don't feel the same way.

Not sure how serious this post is, but I agree.

Akin was voted in by REPUBLICAN PRIMARY VOTERS.  As far as I'm concerned they should just reap what they sow instead of pulling some cowardly move like pull his funding.  And, my personal opinion about cowards aside, I don't see how this is a real wise move (short term or long term) for the GOP.  All I see happening out of this is that the Tea Party's criticisms of the "ebil establishment" is vindicated.  Akin's stupid comments may've lost the part a lean GOP seat, but the Senate leadership's actions could cause a civil war.

For once Romney is probably being the more wiser out of all parties by not doing anything.  The only thing he can do safely is say that it was an epically dumb comment and that Akins should apologize.  Supporting Akins position would probably lead to people suggesting Romney drop out of the Election.  Supporting the establishment and trying to coerce Akins to drop out of the race will lead to tea partiers and other activist conservatives to bitterness and maybe even sit out in November.

This isn't a good situation for any party to be in.

Added in: yes, I know this post might be ridiculous to a lot of people on here and wouldn't be surprised if it is in the Deluge.  However, given the nature of the Republican Party as it is, and the fact that I haven't seen Democrats abandon any of their politicians as quickly as the GOP has in this instance I stand by my observations.

Some of the strongest criticisms and calls to step down are coming from within the Tea Party. Even Rush Limbaugh said he should, "put the country and repealing Obamacare ahead of personal considerations".

Republican voters in the primary voted for a guy to be their Senator. They didn't intend for their vote to be essentially an indirect vote for Claire McCaskill, obviously. Which is exactly what it would become if he keeps doing what he has been doing. Not to mention how the Democrat influenced the primary result.

As for it being cowardly to defund him. Think about where that money comes from. A lot of people might object to their money being routed to such an idiot. That is their primary consideration.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 10:11:02 PM »

the thing is... Claire McCaskill is still LOSING to this clown (thus proving her clownishness), so, while it may put a tad of a damper on the GOP as a whole, it doesn't seem to be bringing him down.

I think he is done. The man is leading, true, 44-43 on a GOP+9 sample. But the very same sample has him with a favorability rating in the 20's. Where is that last 6% going to come from? They hate Claire, but Akin has litterally made gaffe after gaffe this whole season and has made atleast two more on this very same issue since his first one on Sunday. Eventually, I see the undecideds moving reluctantly to McCaskill and that will be the end of Akin.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies