Georgia's Very Own Megathread!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 01:20:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Georgia's Very Own Megathread!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84 85 ... 105
Author Topic: Georgia's Very Own Megathread!  (Read 316033 times)
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1975 on: May 25, 2018, 10:28:18 AM »

The idea that the white candidate is the right candidate is flawed. Evans lost by a landslide yet we are supposed to believe that she was the better candidate? That is absurd and more than a little racist. Old Georgia is gone and it is important to remember that Republicans initially broke through in the state by running up score in the Metro area not the rurals. Roy Barnes ran an Old Georgia campaign and lost big. Jason Carter did the same thing and lost. It seems as if trying something different is in order.
Ohioguy29

« Reply #1976 on: May 25, 2018, 10:42:34 AM »

I admittedly don’t know much about this race and haven’t read a lot of this thread but Dems are blowing heir chances by nominating far left candidates in lean red-purple states. Maybe Abrams is good for Hawaii or something but in Georgia, Evans was the right call.

All things being equal I think the moderate is the better choice but especially in this case

Many of Sherrod Brown's views are as left-wing as Abrams', yet he's been elected statewide four times in the "lean red-purple" state of Ohio.  Oh, and as a note...Ohio is whiter than Georgia, AND Georgia voted to the LEFT of Ohio in 2016.

1. Image matter more than reality. Ohio voters think of Sherrod Brown as a bipartisan moderate, not a flaming liberal. Abrams' image and rhetoric makes her seem much more socially liberal than Sherrod. However, she may turn this around some for the general; she has a long record of bipartisanship to brag about.

2. Black voters are actually less liberal on average than white voters. More Democratic=/=more liberal. Don't confuse the two.

All the said, Abrams is the best candidate who was running and I wish her luck in November! Evans seemed nice but she was running a lazy campaign; to win, we need someone who will actually put in the work and GOTV.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1977 on: May 25, 2018, 10:43:23 AM »

I admittedly don’t know much about this race and haven’t read a lot of this thread but Dems are blowing heir chances by nominating far left candidates in lean red-purple states. Maybe Abrams is good for Hawaii or something but in Georgia, Evans was the right call.

All things being equal I think the moderate is the better choice but especially in this case

Many of Sherrod Brown's views are as left-wing as Abrams', yet he's been elected statewide four times in the "lean red-purple" state of Ohio.  Oh, and as a note...Ohio is whiter than Georgia, AND Georgia voted to the LEFT of Ohio in 2016.

1. Image matter more than reality. Ohio voters think of Sherrod Brown as a bipartisan moderate, not a flaming liberal. Abrams' image and rhetoric makes her seem much more socially liberal than Sherrod. However, she may turn this around some for the general; she has a long record of bipartisanship to brag about.

2. Black voters are actually less liberal on average than white voters. More Democratic=/=more liberal. Don't confuse the two.

All the said, Abrams is the best candidate who was running and I wish her luck in November! Evans seemed nice but she was running a lazy campaign; to win, we need someone who will actually put in the work and GOTV.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1978 on: May 25, 2018, 11:31:37 AM »

538: Can Stacey Abrams Really Turn Georgia Blue?

You must be logged in to read this quote.
BundouYMB

« Reply #1979 on: May 25, 2018, 01:49:49 PM »

What image and rhetoric? This is the Abrams ad that was ran BY FAR the most ahead of the primary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W81N02yQ2uo

"Daughter of methodist ministers wants to fund education" <- yeah, I'm sure voters got the impression she's a flaming liberal.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1980 on: May 25, 2018, 02:56:41 PM »

There was some discussion on election night as to whether Sandra Bullock, who won the HD-40 Democratic primary, was a real person.  She is...but never expected to win: https://politics.myajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/not-that-sandra-bullock-candidate-with-famous-name-wins-primary/mEu9EmRFUVcRf9NPwHjtzN/
Ohioguy29

« Reply #1981 on: May 25, 2018, 03:55:13 PM »

What image and rhetoric? This is the Abrams ad that was ran BY FAR the most ahead of the primary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W81N02yQ2uo

"Daughter of methodist ministers wants to fund education" <- yeah, I'm sure voters got the impression she's a flaming liberal.

That ad is great, and I hope Abrams keeps up with ads like that! However, the media has been painting a different picture of her. I was also rather unimpressed with her Pod Save America appearance, although I recognize she was trying to appeal to the PSA audience there. Her image as being uber liberal is largely not her fault, a lot of it is a weird media narrative that people have latched onto, but it doesn't matter; she has to break through that image nevertheless. I think she will to some degree (and as you point out, already is), but not as effectively as Sherrod Brown simply because he is the ultimate master of that and nobody can equal him. And because she isn't a middle aged white man with a gruff voice.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1982 on: May 25, 2018, 04:57:42 PM »

Is there a county map for the Democratic SoS primary?
scutosaurus
United States

« Reply #1983 on: May 25, 2018, 05:38:56 PM »

Is there a county map for the Democratic SoS primary?

http://results.enr.clarityelections.com/GA/74658/Web02-state.202568/#/cid/22020

Barrow won every county except for Newton and Rockdale.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1984 on: May 25, 2018, 08:04:26 PM »

Love Dee. I'm glad she won Newton. Smiley

Thought she would win DeKalb but she probably only won the black precincts in South DeKalb and got BTFO among non-black POC and whites in North DeKalb.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1985 on: May 25, 2018, 09:29:08 PM »

For what it's worth, I never received any outreach from down-ballot candidates in terms of mail, calls, etc save for two: one of them was John Barrow. Being one of a relative handful of people in a non-metro county who would be identified as a "Strong Democrat" in Democratic voter files, that tells me he was one of the very few down-ballot who ran a legitimate statewide campaign targeting as many Democrats as possible.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #1986 on: May 26, 2018, 12:48:51 PM »

For what it's worth, I never received any outreach from down-ballot candidates in terms of mail, calls, etc save for two: one of them was John Barrow. Being one of a relative handful of people in a non-metro county who would be identified as a "Strong Democrat" in Democratic voter files, that tells me he was one of the very few down-ballot who ran a legitimate statewide campaign targeting as many Democrats as possible.

Well that sounds good for Barrow in November, he'll probably run a truly statewide campaign in the GE as well.

Who was the other Candidate who you received stuff from?
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1987 on: May 30, 2018, 08:45:26 PM »

There was some discussion on election night as to whether Sandra Bullock, who won the HD-40 Democratic primary, was a real person.  She is...but never expected to win: https://politics.myajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/not-that-sandra-bullock-candidate-with-famous-name-wins-primary/mEu9EmRFUVcRf9NPwHjtzN/

Update: Bullock has dropped out in favor of Erick Allen, the candidate she defeated in the primary:

junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #1988 on: May 30, 2018, 09:54:02 PM »

Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1989 on: May 30, 2018, 10:21:13 PM »

I don't think Abrams will ever lead in any poll.

She has repeatedly said the voters she is trying to turn out will not be polled. Low-propensity, rural African Americans and Spanish-language Hispanic households in Gwinnett, Hall, Cobb, etc will not be on anybody's radar.  I'm not particularly concerned about polls heading into this election.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1990 on: May 30, 2018, 10:25:24 PM »

Update: Bullock has dropped out in favor of Erick Allen, the candidate she defeated in the primary:

The bus went under 50 and exploded, clearly
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #1991 on: May 30, 2018, 10:30:42 PM »

I don't think Abrams will ever lead in any poll.

She has repeatedly said the voters she is trying to turn out will not be polled. Low-propensity, rural African Americans and Spanish-language Hispanic households in Gwinnett, Hall, Cobb, etc will not be on anybody's radar.  I'm not particularly concerned about polls heading into this election.

That sounds about right. The fact that Democrats out voted Republicans in the primary in Gwinnett and came very close in Cobb speaks to the unique turnout operation that she is building.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1992 on: May 31, 2018, 01:33:03 PM »

Abrams internal has her up 48-43 over Cagle and 49-40 over Kemp.

https://www.georgiapol.com/2018/05/31/abrams-leads-both-republicans-in-first-general-election-poll/
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #1993 on: May 31, 2018, 01:34:35 PM »

Charlie Cook thinks this is Safe R, and I have no reason to question his expertise.
Holy crap, does he actually update his ratings to reflect reality? This is a guy who has Pennsylvania as Lean D and Illinois as a toss-up.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #1994 on: May 31, 2018, 01:43:37 PM »

Charlie Cook thinks this is Safe R, and I have no reason to question his expertise.
Holy crap, does he actually update his ratings to reflect reality? This is a guy who has Pennsylvania as Lean D and Illinois as a toss-up.

He hasn't updated his gubernatorial ratings in months, and it's annoying.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1995 on: May 31, 2018, 01:57:30 PM »

I don't even know if Cook does the ratings anymore, does Dave Wasserman do almost everything there now?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1996 on: May 31, 2018, 02:05:22 PM »

He is in charge bit he's not day to day anymore
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #1997 on: May 31, 2018, 03:03:12 PM »

The "experts" are going to blow 2018 because they are making predictions based off of the assumption that the status quo which has existed under our current party system will continue to exist and be reflected in upcoming elections. They seem to think that this muh polarization and culture war will keep going on forever but it won't. The Reagan era is over and and anyone who makes predictions thinking the same Red state / Blue state dichtonomy that has existed since the 2000s is a dope.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1998 on: May 31, 2018, 06:52:15 PM »

The "experts" are going to blow 2018 because they are making predictions based off of the assumption that the status quo which has existed under our current party system will continue to exist and be reflected in upcoming elections. They seem to think that this muh polarization and culture war will keep going on forever but it won't. The Reagan era is over and and anyone who makes predictions thinking the same Red state / Blue state dichtonomy that has existed since the 2000s is a dope.

But wouldn't there be varying levels of truth to the old way of thinking about things until a new order is established? The only time since the country has been powered by electricity where the political landscape blew up practically overnight was during the Great Depression, and even then, despite Democrats taking over almost every single state for at least a brief while, a lot of them starting reverting back to form by the end of the 30s. It doesn't seem like there is any GD-level event yet to disrupt the system that much.

And even if a realignment is right around the corner, it doesn't seem like it is here yet. 2020 would sound like a better bet for that. And still, even if that is the case, realignments are still partially built on existing voting habits. Reagan's was built on the existing GOP coalition + working class whites, which had started shifting years beforehand. A Democratic realignment now would be built on Millennials and college educated voters, with some sizable chunk of working class voters probably breaking away from the GOP.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1999 on: May 31, 2018, 07:26:33 PM »

Trump has low approvals and never been above 50, which hasn't happened. Obama and Bush II have reached 50. So, most of the purple states NV, FL,  OH as well as WI, MI are up for grabs. GA and AZ are sleepers
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84 85 ... 105  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies