Was Hillary's loss the best thing to ever happen to the Democrats? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 11:30:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Was Hillary's loss the best thing to ever happen to the Democrats? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Was Hillary's loss the best thing to ever happen to the Democrats?  (Read 7612 times)
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« on: October 08, 2018, 05:05:05 PM »
« edited: October 08, 2018, 05:08:29 PM by Karpatsky »

They averted a 2018 Senate Wipeout, got the chance to retake the House and gain greatly at the statewide level and tarred the GOP with Trump. Could Hillary's loss actually be described as a net positive for Dems?

“Wipeout” some polls I have read have the Republicans gaining seats.

Yeah, but the map would probably look less like ~+1-2 R gains and more like this:

I honestly believe the Democrats may have averted a bigger problem in 2020 by losing 2016. If McConnell was serious about holding open Supreme Court seats for the whole presidency (which he probably would have) and if Republicans in the House continued the constant investigation to drag Clinton down (which they definitely would have) and if the Republicans maintained and extended their grip on state government going into the new census (which they might anyways) you might have seen a scenario in 2021 where the Republicans have constitutional amendment levels of power in both chambers and have three or four seats on the Court to fill, including RBG's.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 11:11:03 AM »

ITT: A bunch of privileged whites who aren't suffering under Trump have no sympathy for the millions of people who are suffering under him, instead caring about their party winning elections in the way people care about their favorite sports team winning games.

Wow, look, more 'progressives' smearing people who think beyond their slogans as privileged and out of touch. This is why I'm not a Democrat. Do you really think it's so unambiguous? How much better off would the average American be if the GOP expanded their control of the House, got their 60 seats in the Senate, further monopolized local government, gained near-total control over 2020 redistricting and then got a president in in 2020 who has the same agenda as Trump but is much more competent at enacting it?

I'm not saying that it is definitely a good thing that Clinton lost, since we can never know what might have happened, but to brush the question off like this is ridiculous.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies