U. of Colo. to Weigh Prof's 9/11 Comments
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 05:41:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  U. of Colo. to Weigh Prof's 9/11 Comments
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: U. of Colo. to Weigh Prof's 9/11 Comments  (Read 3083 times)
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2005, 01:38:49 PM »

Saw the guy on TV, he's even more ed up than he sounds.

The job of teachers is to instruct students on how to think.  How can this man do that when he is clearlyincapable of thinking properly?
freedomburns
FreedomBurns

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -8.70

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2005, 09:35:53 PM »

JF - "Anyone who does not think as I do is thinking improperly."
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2005, 11:27:22 PM »

If you believe that the people in the WTC on 9/11 deserve to die or that NY Fire Fighters are cogs in an imperialist machine, then no you don't think properly.

There are lots of people I disagree with.  Nym90 can think, Al can think, nclib can think, Siege can think (and others too).  They disagree with me about things though, that's for sure.  This man can't think, and anyone who agrees with cannot think properly.

Stock brokers are little Eichman's?  Yeah, right.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2005, 08:05:30 AM »

If you believe that the people in the WTC on 9/11 deserve to die or that NY Fire Fighters are cogs in an imperialist machine, then no you don't think properly.

There are lots of people I disagree with.  Nym90 can think, Al can think, nclib can think, Siege can think (and others too).  They disagree with me about things though, that's for sure.  This man can't think, and anyone who agrees with cannot think properly.

Who gets to judge what thinking is 'proper'?  If we are to have free speach nothing should be disallowed. 

Besides, his thinking makes perfect sense - "the occupants of the world trade center were participating in, and benefiting from, a global capitalist/imperialist system, and therefore deserved to die".  It makes perfect sense from his point of view, or from the point of view of most Muslims.  Their position is neither more or less reasonable or 'proper' than yours, they're just part of a different interest group.  That said, when they couch their arguments in terms of morality or just deserts, they are just as silly as the Bush crowd.

I think it is a waste of breath for either side to call the other 'evil'.  Lets just say 'he's my enemy, and his preferences and interests are in conflict with mine, so it benefits me to kill him'.  Now that is an intellectually honest argument for war.

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2005, 03:18:40 PM »

Provocative, for sure.  But sometimes we say things without thinking.  or we're thinking out loud.  I think he may have been examining an extreme line of thought, which, though offensive to many, has been examined before, but never by such a high-profile individual.  I won't defend his words, nor do I share his conclusions, but I think that the comments that he ought to resign, or be fired, are just a bit reactionary.  Do we really value orthodoxy more than we value free expression?
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2005, 03:26:11 PM »

Stock brokers are little Eichman's? Yeah, right.

Provocative, for sure. But sometimes we say things without thinking. or we're thinking out loud. I think he may have been examining an extreme line of thought, which, though offensive to many, has been examined before, but never by such a high-profile individual. I won't defend his words, nor do I share his conclusions, but I think that the comments that he ought to resign, or be fired, are just a bit reactionary. Do we really value orthodoxy more than we value free expression?

He wrote in an an essay, so he had plenty of time to think about what he was saying.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2005, 07:45:45 PM »

We have our own version of Jerry Falwell.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies