Actual worst trait of forum Democrats (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 08:15:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Actual worst trait of forum Democrats (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Now with realistic options!
Prudishness

Oversensitivity

Elitism/Priggishness

Overbearing/annoying hatred of Southerners

Tendency to take right-wing positions on economic issues

Slacktivism

All of the Above

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 76

Author Topic: Actual worst trait of forum Democrats  (Read 4744 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« on: August 24, 2013, 12:19:59 AM »

Reported for insufficient privilege checking.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 02:41:32 PM »

I've generally taken "prude brood" to refer to the Social Justice Warriors who are experts on feminism because they read a Tumblr blog about the patriarchy through [her]story or something and spend their time getting outraged and thinking that normal social interaction constitutes oppression. Strangely there's a lot of overlap between the armchair feminist crowd and people who think biological gender doesn't exist.

20RP12's post ridiculing memphis' quotes is a good example of this. Yeah, I don't agree with Memphis on a lot of things and he can certainly crudely express his opinions but suggesting that it's not wise for women to, say, walk down a dark alley at night in a seedy part of town doesn't constitute "victim blaming", it's common sense. It's terrible that it's true but there it is.

Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 12:53:45 PM »

The bravery levels are off the charts.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 03:00:21 PM »

It's hilarious that people in this thread are basically saying "rape happens, unfortunately, so being a feminist won't change that" when the idea of feminism is to change society so rape doesn't happen

We don't deny that rape happens, we deny that it is the woman's fault and we accept that men should control their urges instead of raping women

So keep digging me for being a feminist, i'm gonna take my "slacktivism" everywhere I go, because I constantly tell people not to slut-shame, victim blame or make rape jokes if i'm in the room unless they want a stern lecturing (ooooh badass, right?)

If you people don't believe society can't change, you're sorely mistaken.

The legion of strawmen you just destroyed with this post brings to mind ancient myths of Egyptian Pharaohs singlehandedly wiping out their enemies on the field of battle as their armies cower in fear behind them.

The problem with this "debate" isn't posters like, say, Nathan who actually know what the f they're talking about and have some knowledge of academic feminism. It's the bravery bandwagon of teenagers like you and Snowstalker who have apparently decided to latch on to shallow Tumblr "feminism" as their latest affectation in the long string of ideologies they'll passionately subscribe to for a couple of months.  I get, you're liberal or whatever now. You don't need to keep attempting to prove such by spending your days existing in a state of perpetual outrage.

I am covered in buzzword vomit, and it's not pleasant.

Shockingly, I also believe that rape is a bad thing. You don't get any justice brownie points for that groundbreaking and courageous opinion. It is actually possible to admit there are situations where rape is more likely to occur and that it's wise for women to try and avoid said while - wait for it! - still thinking rape is an abhorrent crime! I hope that's not too complex to process. It's awful that rape is a thing that happens, but it doesn't constitute "victim blaming" to suggest that people minimise the risk, and it's obscene and offensive to suggest that those of us who think that's (unfortunately) a sensible position are somehow blaming the victim or are in any way okay with rape.

I don't think it's absurd to suggest that people can change society. I do think it's absurd to act like calling out some random people on an internet forum with a litany of empty buzzwords and moral posturing is an example of anything approaching productive discourse.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies