Turkey's new school year: Evolution out, jihadism in for elementary school kids (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 05:16:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Turkey's new school year: Evolution out, jihadism in for elementary school kids (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Turkey's new school year: Evolution out, jihadism in for elementary school kids  (Read 2896 times)
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« on: August 31, 2017, 04:09:22 PM »

wonderful to see children in Turkey are spending less time learning about that trashbag Kemal Ataturk.
So you believe children should be taught to memorize prayers in American public schools?
Turkey is an overwhelmingly Muslim country. As long as non-Muslims can opt out of having to learn the Quran and associated Muslim things, I don't see a problem.

So you'd be fine with teaching Jihad to children just because "muh majority"? And oppressing scientific facts like evolution is ok too? Come on, Erdogan is absolutely atrocious, don't try to defend him just because you have something against Ataturk.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 04:32:32 PM »

wonderful to see children in Turkey are spending less time learning about that trashbag Kemal Ataturk.
So you believe children should be taught to memorize prayers in American public schools?
Turkey is an overwhelmingly Muslim country. As long as non-Muslims can opt out of having to learn the Quran and associated Muslim things, I don't see a problem.

So you'd be fine with teaching Jihad to children just because "muh majority"? And oppressing scientific facts like evolution is ok too? Come on, Erdogan is absolutely atrocious, don't try to defend him just because you have something against Ataturk.
First of all, evolution theory as we generally know it is just that - a theory. Teaching it in public schools as fact without presenting any alternatives is giving it legitimacy it doesn't deserve. Also, you saying that this is 'teaching Jihad to children' betrays your lack of understanding of what Jihad is.
http://islamicsupremecouncil.org/understanding-islam/legal-rulings/5-jihad-a-misunderstood-concept-from-islam.html?start=9

Gravitation is a theory too. Let's all teach alternatives to gravitaion, because it's a theory, right? No, because gravitation, just like evolution and just like the theory tests people take before they learn how to drive, are facts. A scientific theory is not some unproven assumption.
As for Jihad- sure, it might have a deeper theological definition, but jihad is most commonly used for its militaristic definition, an does in fact include it as a viable option according to your source. I find teaching it to children a thing that shows a dangerous process of extremization, which is exactly what Erdogan does on every issue- an extremization of religious fundamentalism, an extremization of aggression towards past Turkish allies like Israel, an extremization of oppression and a gross trampling of basic human freedoms.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 11:32:57 AM »

You seem to be proposing just NOT teaching Evolution, correct?  You don't want to teach Creationism in schools do you?  I suppose I wouldn't be against an "opt out" on learning about Evolution day in middle school, but man, that seems like it might be cruel to some kids in that situation.

On the other hand, if you want to teach Creationism in school as "option" to Evolution, well, no, I'd fight that.  Leaving something out is bad, but they leave a lot out, one more thing probably isn't the end of the world for anybody (especially in K-12).  But intentionally adding in something science tells us is complete BS?  No chance.  There is enough of that in there on accident (or out of ignorance), we don't need anymore.

This. Teaching creationism is like teaching Harry Potter like a possible fact.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies