How will Democrats be able to take Trump down if nothing can really damage him?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 02:47:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  How will Democrats be able to take Trump down if nothing can really damage him?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How will Democrats be able to take Trump down if nothing can really damage him?  (Read 488 times)
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -4.70

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 12, 2017, 11:24:02 AM »

In the 2016 election, Trump did and said so many things that would have destroyed any other politicians campaign, but he survived and perhaps got stronger when these things happen. Trump disputing McCain's war hero status, mocking a disabled reporter, attacking a gold star family, and even the Access Hollywood tape did not stop the success of his campaign. His poll numbers maybe went down a little bit after some of these events, but the dips were not big enough to destroy his chances of winning because he did go on to win.

Have people become so desensitized to everything that Trump has done? What will it take for Democrats to be able to defeat him? How much will voters care if his presidency has many failures?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 11:33:41 AM »

I hate to say it but look to Karl Rove for the answer take Trump's strengths an turn it against him like Rove did to Kerry. Example he will run on "law & order" so make attack adds showing the chaos at the airports following his EO Muslim ban, he ran as a populist make attack adds about Wilbur Ross in his cabinet, etc...
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 11:35:27 AM »

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Run someone well-liked with little baggage. Trump ran against someone hated by many, under fbi investigation and dogged by scandal and trusted/liked even less than Trump in many cases. I do not believe Trump is invincible in this regard; he just had a lot of luck running against someone as despised as himself.

I don't quite understand why this is glossed over as much as it is.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 11:36:12 AM »

I really think the economy will be a nail in his coffin. All his union votes in rust belt states are gone when the recession hits.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 12:16:27 PM »

Find the antithesis of Trump, a squeaky clean democrat.
Thank you for being a friend...
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 02:26:15 PM »

Go after him on multiple fronts, even have a conservative campaign assailing him on Putin, Bannon, treason, and appeasement...  run on patriotism, freedom, diversity, and pounce on his economic ideology, which is tax cuts for the rich and a lazy Billionaire Cabinet working to enrich the affluent and maintain the elites.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 02:29:23 PM »

Go after him on multiple fronts, even have a conservative campaign assailing him on Putin, Bannon, treason, and appeasement...  run on patriotism, freedom, diversity, and pounce on his economic ideology, which is tax cuts for the rich and a lazy Billionaire Cabinet working to enrich the affluent and maintain the elites.

-Guess what? Mindless Russophobia, rejection of the base, rejection of White people, and claims of nonexistent American greatness repel more people than they attract.

Focus on Trump's failures, duh. Maybe attack Puzder, Cohn, and Mnuchin, too.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 02:34:27 PM »

I really think the economy will be a nail in his coffin. All his union votes in rust belt states are gone when the recession hits.

I think it's sad that Democrats are praying for a recession just to get Trump out of office.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 02:37:26 PM »

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Run someone well-liked with little baggage. Trump ran against someone hated by many, under fbi investigation and dogged by scandal and trusted/liked even less than Trump in many cases. I do not believe Trump is invincible in this regard; he just had a lot of luck running against someone as despised as himself.

I don't quite understand why this is glossed over as much as it is.

That would require Democrats to acknowledge that Hillary was a terrible candidate.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 04:26:38 PM »

I think it's sad that Democrats are praying for a recession just to get Trump out of office.

Drastic times call for drastic measures.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 04:29:30 PM »

He'll be the incumbent, so he has to answer for his failed policies, and screaming like a moron like he did last election won't work with angry voters.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies