DeSantis bans lab grown meat in Florida
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 01:57:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DeSantis bans lab grown meat in Florida
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: DeSantis bans lab grown meat in Florida  (Read 1273 times)
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2024, 06:19:59 PM »

This is overreach and should be struck down. Even products that present real health risks (cigarettes, alcohol) cannot be banned so it's hard to see how lab grown meat being banned stands up.

Yeh, came here to say I don't see how this survives a court challenge.

What's the legal basis for the law? Virtue Signaling To Your Base is not a reason any rational jurist is going to accept for outlawing some private company growing meat in a lab and selling it to private citizens on the free market.

What's there to challenge? Conservative judges believe that (red) states have the right to ban any and all behavior that conservatives don't like.

The sudden realization by liberals that government is not allowed to regulate food of all things appears quite ridiculous, LOL

Banning random, irrelevant stuff purely because conservative commentators don't like it isn't a regulation I respect. He even admitted in his stupid Twitter public statement that this is being done because he thinks Jews are going to make him eat bugs.

You don't have to respect it and neither do I, you still have to craft an argument for why its unconstitutional.

"Craft an argument for why it's unconstitutional" lmao. That is not how the law works. Other way around.
Florida's lawyers will now get to waste time and taxpayer money showing in court what government interest they think is served by banning this, only to be slapped down immediately.
It's one thing to ban cigarettes. It's another thing to ban FDA approved food products.

That is in fact how the law works. Federal laws have to be tied to a specific enumerated power in order to be Constitutional. State laws do not, as the states have general police powers (aside from certain things specifically prohibited of the states in the Constitution). So the party challenging the law would indeed bear the burden of arguing that the law is unconstitutional, not the other way around.

What I think you’re getting at is “rational basis review,” meaning a law does have to be rationally related to some government interest. But that’s an extremely low bar to clear. The reason doesn’t have to be a very good reason.

No lmao. As I said in a previous comment I have a hard time picturing what argument Florida could even put forth as their weak justification for this. "Protecting farmers" is not going to cut it. Otherwise why not just ban non-meat products altogether.
Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -5.83

« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2024, 09:30:44 PM »

I haven't bought into the cultured meat hype ever since I read this article a couple years ago, but wow this is really stupid.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2024, 09:59:09 PM »

It amazes me how this guy still has a 51% approval rating in Florida rather than somewhere in the 30s.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2024, 10:05:38 PM »

Why is Fetterman praising this?
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2024, 12:22:58 PM »

It amazes me how this guy still has a 51% approval rating in Florida rather than somewhere in the 30s.
Having rich conservatives & anti-communist refugees along with the normal influx of (increasingly conservative) boomers flocking especially since Covid will do that to you...Either that or Floridia isn't that much more conservative than pre-Covid, but it is just that much more polarized.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2024, 03:09:28 PM »

"The elites want to control your behavior by giving you the freedom to choose what to buy. I'm going to liberate you by taking away that choice."

Does he know what words mean?
Neo-Malthusian Misanthrope
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2024, 07:04:10 PM »

Populism is a hell of a drug
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »