What is the procedure?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 08:11:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  What is the procedure?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What is the procedure?  (Read 405 times)
kashifkhan
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 29, 2012, 02:53:49 PM »

How would a winner be decided if neither party gets an electoral college majority? I know that the House of Representatives gets to vote on the election, but what is the procedure?
Does every representative get a vote, or does every state get one vote?
What role does the Senate play in this process?
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 02:59:32 PM »

If I remember correctly each member of the House places one vote. The Senate votes on who is placed in the Vice Presidential Spot.
kashifkhan
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 03:05:05 PM »

A friend of mine said the same thing. But I read somewhere that each State gets one vote. If I'm not mistaken, I believe that's how it worked during the 1824 election.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 03:17:04 PM »

A friend of mine said the same thing. But I read somewhere that each State gets one vote. If I'm not mistaken, I believe that's how it worked during the 1824 election.

In the House, the reps vote by state. If the majority of Indiana's house delegation votes Republican, that state's one vote goes Republican. Whoever gets the majority of states wins.
kashifkhan
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 09:55:45 AM »

In the House, the reps vote by state. If the majority of Indiana's house delegation votes Republican, that state's one vote goes Republican. Whoever gets the majority of states wins.

Ahhh! Right, that makes sense. Thanks!
zorkpolitics
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 12:57:06 PM »

The House of Representatives votes on the top 3 finishers in the Electoral college, but the Senate only on the top 2 finishers for VP.

To be elected President, the winner in the House must get 26 states to win (states with a tied vote like NJ which is 6D and 6R would be deadlocked and fail to cast a vote).

To be elected VP, the winner must get 51 votes in the Senate and the VP does not get to vote.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies