Governor Romney on Obama wanting Sex Ed for Kindergarden children (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 02:57:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Governor Romney on Obama wanting Sex Ed for Kindergarden children (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Governor Romney on Obama wanting Sex Ed for Kindergarden children  (Read 2447 times)
nlm
« on: July 20, 2007, 06:30:09 AM »
« edited: July 20, 2007, 11:46:56 PM by nlm »

Romney is an idiot (and so are the posters on this thread who believe his claims about Obama).

Here's what Obama campaign spokeswoman Jen Psaki is telling The Brody File this morning:

"Barack Obama supports sensible, community-driven education for children because, among other things, he believes it could help protect them from pedophiles. A child's knowledge of the difference between appropriate and inappropriate touching is crucial to keeping them safe from predators."

So, at this point at least, what Obama is referring to is teaching five year olds about inappropriate touching. The Obama campaign also tells The Brody File that parents would be able to opt out. As for further details, the touching aspect seems to be the main idea here. Obama doesn't want to hand out condoms to five year olds. He doesn't want cucumber demonstrations as part of show and tell. The legitimate reasonable discussion here is whether the federal government and/or local school boards should get involved in providing these five year olds information about inappropriate touching or should it be left up to families only.

http://www.cbn.com/CBNnews/198169.aspx

Too funny. The Republicans getting their panties all in a bunch over something that a sleazy, flip flopping political opportunist like Romney said without checking the facts first. I hope a lesson would be learned here - but I doubt it.
nlm
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 07:22:15 AM »

Too funny. The Republicans getting their panties all in a bunch over something that a sleazy, flip flopping political opportunist like Romney said with checking the facts first. I hope a lesson would be learned here - but I doubt it.

The lesson is, despite the Republicans seeming to harp on it, I'd be willing to bet the majority of Americans are on our side.

On "our" side about what? The fiction Mitt presented, or what Obama was talking about?
nlm
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 07:48:41 AM »
« Edited: July 20, 2007, 01:00:23 PM by nlm »

Too funny. The Republicans getting their panties all in a bunch over something that a sleazy, flip flopping political opportunist like Romney said with checking the facts first. I hope a lesson would be learned here - but I doubt it.

The lesson is, despite the Republicans seeming to harp on it, I'd be willing to bet the majority of Americans are on our side.

On "our" side about what? The fiction Mitt presented, or what Obama was talking about?

The "fiction" happens to be moral values. Coming from a guy with political views of a President who sprayed his moral values to the public, I'm not surprised.

What are you even talking about? The fiction Mitt presented was fiction in that he presented it as somebody being against what he was thumping his chest about - which was false in the context of his statement. Is lying one the moral values you are now thumping your chest about.

As for what Obama was talking about - the only folks that should feel threatened by it are pedophiles and certain members of the clergy. But I have a feeling you have managed to tune out the reality of what Obama said and replace it with the fiction Mitt created like any good little partisan soldier would.
nlm
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 10:11:12 AM »

This is such a stupid issue.  Why would anyone in their right mind support teaching 5 and 6 year old CHILDREN about sex?  For one, it shouldn't even be up to the schools (at that age), it should fall to the parents.  If the parents want their kids learning about sex at that age then fine; but the government should not be the ones to decide.

I have to ask, is there anyone on this forum who supports this that actually knows any 5 or 6 year old children?  I have a few cousins at that age, and a few of my friends have children that age.  If you do know any kids that young, would you really consider explaining to them about sex?  I'm not talking about sex ed from the school, I'm talking about you yourself.  Would YOU consider teaching them?  If not, and you actually know these kids, then why would you want someone who doesn't know them (the schools) to teach them this stuff?

If I had kids this young, I sure wouldn't want them coming up to me one day after school telling me they learned what happens when a boy sticks his penis into a girls vagina.  In kindergarden!

Once you get into middle and high school, it's a completely different story.  But not at this young of an age.  There's actually a word for what this is: crazy.

Did you read what Obama actually said - your comments make it pretty clear that you did not. I suggest that you go back and do so. Mitt was just spinning BS as per normal.
nlm
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 12:58:03 PM »

Did you read what Obama actually said - your comments make it pretty clear that you did not. I suggest that you go back and do so. Mitt was just spinning BS as per normal.

You're right, I didn't read what he said.  But now that I have, again, why should this be the government's responsibility?

What would be great is for candidates to be encouraging people to take responsibility for themselves, for their jobs, for their health, for their children.  Candidates should not, however, encourage people to just sit back and allow the government to take care of everything for them, especially in terms of teaching about sex--in any way--to 5 and 6 year old kids.

I'm interested to know why you do support it?

My kids are grown up, so this isn't a hot button issue for me - but I certainly don't see any harm in having children educated about possible sexual preditors and what the proper course of action should be for them if they are unfortunate enough to encounter one. If anything, it sounds fairly reasonable.

The main thing that bothered me about this sequence of events was the manner in which Mitt went about misrepresenting a topic worthy of honest debate in order to score political points. That's pretty low - not that it isn't also pretty common in politics - but I'm one of those people that is truely disgusted by the tone in Washington and wants to see it change.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies