So Thatcher had a lot more evil in her than the infamous poll tax... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:01:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  So Thatcher had a lot more evil in her than the infamous poll tax... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: So Thatcher had a lot more evil in her than the infamous poll tax...  (Read 9576 times)
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« on: December 28, 2012, 09:26:28 PM »

All I'd wish is for her to stop being so revered by the British political establishment, and instead be seen for what she is. But even this is asking too much...

Though I agree the right doesn't see her for what she really was, neither do the left. Thatcher, like most people are neither black nor white. As a Prime Minister, she was very complex. Admiring her as a political and ideological God isn't something I'd recommend anyone to do, but painting her out to be the devil in human form is equally silly.

As I see it, I think the hatred for her is a good  thing, it mean that no one will romantise her government

LOL, good one.
If you think there is anything near a consensus on Thatcher among the British you are quite mistaken. While a large portion loath her there certainly is no lack of people romantacising her government, I can assure you that.

As for people longing for her passing, heck let 'em have it. She's a senile old lady, she'll be as relived as them when she's finally allowed to pass. Her political legacy, good and bad, is not dying, so it'll be quite an empty victory for them.   
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 12:34:59 AM »

All I'd wish is for her to stop being so revered by the British political establishment, and instead be seen for what she is. But even this is asking too much...

Though I agree the right doesn't see her for what she really was, neither do the left. Thatcher, like most people are neither black nor white. As a Prime Minister, she was very complex. Admiring her as a political and ideological God isn't something I'd recommend anyone to do, but painting her out to be the devil in human form is equally silly.

No offense but you are being far too reasonable about this. Read what Al said, it was more or less accurate and then realize that sometimes uber-partizanship is actually the appropriate response.

Sorry Gully but if you think I'd ever believe that there is such a thing as being too reasonable, I'm afraid you don't know me too well.

Besides if I were to just look at Thatcher from an über-partisan position my conclusion would not be the same as yours. People tend to forget (since I am quite reasonable) that at my core I am a right-winger with right-wing ideals and values. So while I do recognise that Thatcher was a flawed politician with a heap of bad policies and some horrendous methods to pursue them, if I'm forced to make a choice on wether I admire her or wether I loath her, the choice would clearly be that I admire her. But I prefer not to be as simplific as that.     
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 02:01:21 AM »

Is this the mirror image of the Chavez thread?  It's ok to be "satisfied" with the death of a politician if you disagree with them....except when it's not.

There's very strong bipartisan support for hypochracy.
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 11:51:31 AM »

No one in this thread has said that Palme's bad actions is somehow good while Thatcher's were not. So I don't see how he is relevant to this discussion.

Anyway there's an intresting discussion about the similarities between Palme and Thatcher. Palme like Thatcher was a very comlex politican and similarly radicalised his party, transformed his country beond recongnistion, and in the process made himself hated by large segments of the population while being admired as a hero by others. But that's not the topic of this thread.  
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies