Your ethnic composition?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 12:02:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Your ethnic composition?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Your ethnic composition?  (Read 6025 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2009, 09:12:41 AM »

Jo Napot!

I am half Hungarian, half English.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2009, 10:23:13 AM »

Jo napot nekedis Smiley

That's cool, man. I wasn't sure if there were others on here.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2009, 10:58:24 AM »

Lilly white.  English/French, but look like a Jew.

Same here. I'm half Italian, French Calvinist and English...but apparently I look like a jew. So yeah, Lilly White here...or "Beige". Actually my Huganaut/English mother is darker than my Neopolitan dad.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2009, 11:00:40 AM »

Mostly Italian and that's really the only thing I see myself as
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2009, 11:05:22 AM »

The ethnic composition of this forum is a lot like the one I have been inviting people over here from.

And yet amazingly we aren't trying to ignite a race war.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2009, 11:19:52 AM »

The ethnic composition of this forum is a lot like the one I have been inviting people over here from.

Feel free to not do that.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2009, 11:30:40 AM »

Colombian, Lithuanian, English, Irish, misc.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2009, 11:47:07 AM »

Jo napot nekedis Smiley

That's cool, man. I wasn't sure if there were others on here.

My grandmother's maiden name was Kossuth.  But I have no idea if we're related to Lajos or if Kossuth is just one of those names like Smith or Jones.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2009, 01:31:19 PM »

Mostly Hessian and Westphalian. Some Dutch, some Upper Swabian, some Silesian. (Breslau area Catholic Silesian with one of these superficially-Germanified but obviously not Germanic names so common among German-speaking rural Silesians. Does that count as "Polish" ancestry for you, Kalwejt? Smiley Came west long before 1945, btw.)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2009, 04:19:13 PM »

Scottish (mostly) Irish (some) Huguenot (trace)
ChrisJG777
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -8.00

« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2009, 04:25:16 PM »

I'm tempted to say 100% Martian here, but I'll be serious.  Tongue

My ancestry is predominantly "English" with some possible & confirmed Scandinavian roots on my father's side, and a chance of some Irish genes in there too.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2009, 05:10:29 PM »

Largely Celtic of Breton stock. Using more recent notions, rural Catholic Quebecois and Catholic Breton.

My maternal ancestors arrived in New France way back when in 1560-1570 or so and came from Saint-Malo, Brittany and Rouen, Normandie. Of course, ancestry is a weird thing and I also have blood of places like the North of France and *gasp* Flanders.
Raoul
burkenelson
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.87, S: -0.74

« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2009, 05:56:02 PM »

Mostly Irish-American, Argentine and more mutt
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2009, 06:01:05 PM »

Half Italian (Quarter Calabrian, equal parts from Rome and Milan area), quarter english (part of which may be mixed with native american following our departure from the Mayflower...I'm related to William Brewster apparently), Eighth German, Eighth Scots-Irish.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2009, 06:37:15 PM »

Verily, that's fascinating... whenabouts did they live?  I could try to find census records for you, if it's 1850-1930 (though 1890's were burnt to a crisp).

Trust me, the family has tried. There are some very dedicated genealogists in parts of the Byrne line who have tried, but they all say things dead end with Peter Byrne and Bridget Heaton. (The rest can be traced at least to colonial America except the Feldts, who immigrated from Sweden in  the 1890s.) As I recall, Peter Byrne and Bridget Heaton would have been in the 1860s or so, with Peter Byrne abandoning her around 1870. And actually he must have been my great-great-great-grandfather, thinking about the dates. I get it all confused.

We do know that Bridget Heaton claimed to be a widow on her census forms even though Peter Byrne was definitely alive and well and filling out census forms in Alabama. The trouble is with finding out anything about their families; even if they weren't either of them orphans, both clearly came from very impoverished New York City families. But neither mentions parents on their census forms.

I see a Peter C. Byrne (b. c. 1810) in Baldwin, Alabama in 1850, 1860, and 1870, and a Bridget Heaton (b. c. 1839) in New York City in 1860, but I'm too lazy to check alternate spellings and such Tongue

Incidentally, it's impossible that they mentioned marital status but not place of birth of parents on census forms; marital status is only asked from 1880 on, which is when parental birth is introduced.  I suppose the only exception would be if the parents' location of birth were specifically listed as "Unknown" or "United States of America", which is possible.  It's also true that there are lots of mistakes in those two columns, including my great-great-grandmother who answered different states every time she was asked until finally she just ended up saying "United States of America" Wink (even more amusing is that I tracked down her parents and determined that not only did she answer different states each time she never even said the correct ones!)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2009, 01:00:38 PM »

Paternal side is 100% German (Hessen)....
Whereabouts?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2009, 01:49:32 PM »

Verily, that's fascinating... whenabouts did they live?  I could try to find census records for you, if it's 1850-1930 (though 1890's were burnt to a crisp).

Trust me, the family has tried. There are some very dedicated genealogists in parts of the Byrne line who have tried, but they all say things dead end with Peter Byrne and Bridget Heaton. (The rest can be traced at least to colonial America except the Feldts, who immigrated from Sweden in  the 1890s.) As I recall, Peter Byrne and Bridget Heaton would have been in the 1860s or so, with Peter Byrne abandoning her around 1870. And actually he must have been my great-great-great-grandfather, thinking about the dates. I get it all confused.

We do know that Bridget Heaton claimed to be a widow on her census forms even though Peter Byrne was definitely alive and well and filling out census forms in Alabama. The trouble is with finding out anything about their families; even if they weren't either of them orphans, both clearly came from very impoverished New York City families. But neither mentions parents on their census forms.

I see a Peter C. Byrne (b. c. 1810) in Baldwin, Alabama in 1850, 1860, and 1870, and a Bridget Heaton (b. c. 1839) in New York City in 1860, but I'm too lazy to check alternate spellings and such Tongue

Incidentally, it's impossible that they mentioned marital status but not place of birth of parents on census forms; marital status is only asked from 1880 on, which is when parental birth is introduced.  I suppose the only exception would be if the parents' location of birth were specifically listed as "Unknown" or "United States of America", which is possible.  It's also true that there are lots of mistakes in those two columns, including my great-great-grandmother who answered different states every time she was asked until finally she just ended up saying "United States of America" Wink (even more amusing is that I tracked down her parents and determined that not only did she answer different states each time she never even said the correct ones!)

If you actually wanted to look more into this, I'll ask my second cousin Darcy for more details. She's the one who knows all of this stuff in depth and does all the research.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2009, 08:13:26 PM »

1/4 Italian (Sicilian)
3/4 Eastern European Jewish (Russian, Latvian, Polish), the latter has a German last name so likely ancestry to Germany but can't confirm.

BTW, how are we distinguishing between ethnicity and ancestry?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2009, 08:40:12 PM »

1/4 Italian (Sicilian)
3/4 Eastern European Jewish (Russian, Latvian, Polish), the latter has a German last name so likely ancestry to Germany but can't confirm.

Good question.

While my ancestors came from Ireland, Scotland, Norway, Sweden, France, Wales, England, and Germany.. the vast majority of my ethnicity could be traced to Scotland and Norway.

There is significant Norwegian blood in the Scottish line and significant Scottish blood in the Irish line (the men came from Scotland and married local Irish women).

I guess it just depends on how far back you want to go.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2009, 08:43:39 PM »

One quarter Cherokee, three quarters various British (mostly Scottish but a bit of everything)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2009, 09:44:13 PM »
« Edited: September 03, 2015, 10:34:26 AM by Хahar »

Ancestrally almost entirely Sylheti, but since I do not speak the language, ethnically Bengali.

I can't say I have any interest whasoever in genealogy, although that may have been different if there were any records kept. My parents have no birth certificates, and my dad changed his name simply by writing a new name on his high school exit exam.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2009, 11:09:14 PM »

1/4 Italian (Sicilian)

Good question.

While my ancestors came from Ireland, Scotland, Norway, Sweden, France, Wales, England, and Germany.. the vast majority of my ethnicity could be traced to Scotland and Norway.

There is significant Norwegian blood in the Scottish line and significant Scottish blood in the Irish line (the men came from Scotland and married local Irish women).

I guess it just depends on how far back you want to go.

That is a very interesting topic.  For instance, I have more of a connection and identification with Italian ethnicity than any of my ancestry without having a drop of Italian blood in me.  That's what I see as the difference between ancestry and ethnicity.  That's also why I think it's difficult to assign these kinds of labels.  Another example could be most people from the Caribbean.  They may be of an African nation as far as ancestry goes, but be more ethnically French or Spanish.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2009, 11:21:07 PM »

1/2 Irish
1/4 German
1/4 English

75% of my ancestry comes from the British Isles. So yeah, I have pale skin. Tongue
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2009, 10:44:12 AM »

Mostly Hessian and Westphalian. Some Dutch, some Upper Swabian, some Silesian. (Breslau area Catholic Silesian with one of these superficially-Germanified but obviously not Germanic names so common among German-speaking rural Silesians. Does that count as "Polish" ancestry for you, Kalwejt? Smiley Came west long before 1945, btw.)

Silesia is so complicated matter I get lost many times Wink If there was just a Germanified family, there'a a chances was also ethnicly Polish or Czech, or some other.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2009, 04:58:35 PM »
« Edited: August 06, 2009, 05:01:05 PM by TakeOurCountryBack »

I consider myself half German, half Portugese
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length