Coburn/Barbour versus Obama/Biden (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 04:10:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Coburn/Barbour versus Obama/Biden (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Coburn/Barbour versus Obama/Biden  (Read 9324 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« on: February 11, 2009, 10:47:46 PM »

Coburn would be lucky to get 40% of the popular vote.

Haha, even TN, WV and KY go for Obama...even though they'd probably adore Coburn on a lot of issues a lot more than they liked McCain.

You guys are too good.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 11:22:47 PM »

Coburn would be lucky to get 40% of the popular vote.

Haha, even TN, WV and KY go for Obama...even though they'd probably adore Coburn on a lot of issues a lot more than they liked McCain.

You guys are too good.

Coburn is widely regarded as a wackjob while McCain is actually seen as a serious politician by most of the American electorate.

"Widely regarded." Oh boy. You mean "widely regarded by certain politicos" because really nobody knows a thing about Tom Coburn outside of our little world. He's actually very mild mannered and I don't think you can argue that he's that much of a nutcase if he worked with Obama on some issues. This is something Obama has no problem admitting to either.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 10:25:35 AM »

He's actually very mild mannered and I don't think you can argue that he's that much of a nutcase if he worked with Obama on some issues. This is something Obama has no problem admitting to either.

He's a "straight talker" which means he has a record of saying outrageous things that wear very badly. Think of what people claimed made Joe Biden unelectable, and then shackle them to what everyone would agree is a set of policy positions at one extreme of our spectrum. It's hard to get elected if you can get characterized as not a serious candidate.

Even if they are "extreme" by "our" standards, I don't see those positions resulting in losses in KY, WV, AR, GA, SC and the Dakotas.

This guy would motivate religious southerns/Evangelicals around the country more so than Bush did. To have him starting off with only 100 or so electoral votes is more fantasy than reality.

That being said, yes, I think he'd lose pretty badly unless Obama was sitting on Bush type approval ratings.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 10:48:20 AM »

This guy would motivate religious southerns/Evangelicals around the country more so than Bush did.

Doubtful.  Evangelicals are not a monolith, and this isn't the 1980's anymore.  There is a growing trend of evangelicals who are just as passionate about Christ but not as supportive of the ideology of social hypocrisy.  Bush in many ways was the "best of both worlds" - a compassionate conservative who was able to largely unite people of all evangelical stripes.  Mike Huckabee might actually have a shot at repeating this feat, but Coburn would divide the evangelical community.

How is Coburn a "social hypocrite?"

And contrary to popular belief, Coburn is actually mild mannered. Ask the President. Stop labeling everyone you don't like as a foaming at the mouth nutcase, please.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 11:02:07 AM »

This guy would motivate religious southerns/Evangelicals around the country more so than Bush did.

Doubtful.  Evangelicals are not a monolith, and this isn't the 1980's anymore.  There is a growing trend of evangelicals who are just as passionate about Christ but not as supportive of the ideology of social hypocrisy.  Bush in many ways was the "best of both worlds" - a compassionate conservative who was able to largely unite people of all evangelical stripes.  Mike Huckabee might actually have a shot at repeating this feat, but Coburn would divide the evangelical community.

How is Coburn a "social hypocrite?"

And contrary to popular belief, Coburn is actually mild mannered. Ask the President. Stop labeling everyone you don't like as a foaming at the mouth nutcase, please.

Yeah. A very mild mannered fellow, who just happens to want to impose the death penalty to doctors who perform abortions.
And of course let's not forget his claim that one of the biggest problems in America today is the rampant lesbianism which takes place at school toilets. Real music to the ears of suburban soccer moms. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Bush would support the death penalty for doctors who perform abortions. It's a position that would hurt him but it would likely get buried. He'd be labeled as "strongly Pro Life." Like I said, he'd lose but he's really not a loose cannon. You found two statements/positions that make him seem "nutty." Two statements/positions that really wouldn't be a focus. Even if they were a focus, I don't see how that leads to losses in AK, TN, KY, WV, etc.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies