Does Romney even have a chance this time? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 06:31:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Does Romney even have a chance this time? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Does Romney even have a chance this time?  (Read 4503 times)
OpinionatedGuy
Rookie
« on: January 17, 2015, 11:45:30 AM »

Obviously, at this far out, anything can happen.

However, Mitt Romney has shown in both of his campaigns that he has a pretty difficult time getting the support of Republicans who vote GOP for other than economic reasons (other than the Mormons). He was able to skate by in 2012 because Romney's competition was as lacking in crossover appeal as he Romney is. The closest one I think was Newt Gingrich weirdly enough.

However the current field not only has more quality candidates, it has people who can appeal to Mitt's 2012 "base", as well as people who can appeal to both social/fiscal conservatives. 
OpinionatedGuy
Rookie
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 12:33:33 PM »

Yes, of course he has a chance, and a fairly good one at that. But it's not as good as it was in 2012, when the only time his nomination was ever really in doubt was Rick Perry's entrance. Yes, I know Cain/Gingrich/Santorum led in the polls at various points, but I don't think many people actually expected that to hold.

I would argue the last best opportunity to take Mitt Romney out was the Florida primary. After that, Newt teetered, and Santorum (who basically is the inverse of Romney, totally unable to appeal to Republicans who vote primarily on economic issues) became the new anti-Romney. Santorum had no ability to win, Newt might have at least had like a 1 in 50 shot.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies