Australian electoral divisions with Canadian names (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 09:58:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Australian electoral divisions with Canadian names (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Australian electoral divisions with Canadian names  (Read 2684 times)
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« on: August 16, 2013, 06:35:06 PM »

There is a Bentleigh West school, but no suburb of Bentleigh West. Most of you are already aware, but for anyone who isn't, when I say suburb, it's like the neighbourhoods of New York, or communities in Canada. They typically have their own postcode, and perhaps originally designated by the post office, but I don't think that's the case now - I recall the Minister for Planning announcing new suburbs, so they may now be designated by the respective state governments - I shall investigate further via Places Victoria...

After that lengthy aside... The relevant municipalities/city councils in Hotham are Glen Eira (Southeast) and Monash (South). That combination may be best. Bentleigh and Moorabbin are in Glen Eira, Oakleigh, Clayton and Springvale are the main suburbs in the Monash part.

In short, Glen Eira Southeast -- Monash South is probably my preference, or otherwise Bentleigh -- Oakleigh -- Springvale. Demographically, Oakleigh has a heavy Greek influence, Clayton and Springvale have many Australians of Vietnamese extraction, with a growing population of Indian Australians. A reasonably high Jewish population in Bentleigh, but not as many as Caulfield, obviously.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 07:00:05 PM »

I've been half-meaning to try British constituencies with Australian type names for a while now (essentially an excuse to unload yet more meaningless trivia onto this small corner of the internets).

Anyways, with regards to renaming Aussie divisions, you might want to check local government areas and state electoral divisions, at least as a starting point. This could be useful as well, maybe.

Bentleigh, Oakleigh and Clayton are existing state electoral districts, Springvale was a former one.

Also, Isaacs would probably be Chelsea, although Kingston would probably work. Not as good as Chelsea, but still doable.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 10:24:02 PM »

Don't hesitate going with geographic features. This is not an exercise in combining all of the LGAs in a division into a name. Of course, as I add more (when I get time), I may resort to that, as my knowledge of Aussie geography is lacking (but this is my attempt to learn more Smiley )

Some already do (not many, but some): see McPherson, for example, which is named after the McPherson Range. The other appropriate name for it would probably be something like the horribly boring "Gold Coast South" or "Burleigh -- Currumbin -- Coolangatta"
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies