One year in the Democratic Party
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 05:17:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  One year in the Democratic Party
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: One year in the Democratic Party  (Read 4515 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 06, 2007, 12:21:36 AM »

In 13 days, on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 at 3:00 pm CDT is my one year anniversary in the Democratic Party.  I am a Democrat at heart, just happen to be a Democrat who likes Bush.  Weird, yes, unprecedented, maybe.  As you can tell by my scores, I am still very much a Republican socially, but a Democrat fiscally.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 12:24:58 AM »

As you can tell by my scores, I am still very much a Republican socially...

We need to work on that.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 12:31:39 AM »
« Edited: September 06, 2007, 12:33:44 AM by Oklahoma for Edwards »

We need to work on that.

haha.  I have modified my views a hair since becoming a Democrat in September 2006.  In 2005 and 2006, I was extremely anti-gay.  But being friends with a certain former forumite, I now am modestly in support of civil unions.  I will not campaign for them, but I won't campaign against them, either.  That kind of like some politicians take.  So, in that respect, I have kind of moved to the left, socially.  I am still adamantly (sp?) opposed to gay marriage and will campaign hard against that.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 12:37:11 AM »

Mind you, the best ideological word to describe me is "populist".  I am a populist-conservative in a lot of respects.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 12:46:57 AM »

We need to work on that.

haha.  I have modified my views a hair since becoming a Democrat in September 2006.  In 2005 and 2006, I was extremely anti-gay.  But being friends with a certain former forumite, I now am modestly in support of civil unions.  I will not campaign for them, but I won't campaign against them, either.  That kind of like some politicians take.  So, in that respect, I have kind of moved to the left, socially.  I am still adamantly (sp?) opposed to gay marriage and will campaign hard against that.

Why? Why shouldn't gays have to deal with the misery that is marriage like everyone else? Be fair.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 01:05:58 AM »

We need to work on that.

Why? Why shouldn't gays have to deal with the misery that is marriage like everyone else? Be fair.

With all the problems gays have, do they REALLY need more misery?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 01:18:40 AM »

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 01:20:25 AM »

YOU CAN DO IT!
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 01:24:18 AM »

Now, look at my avatar.  That best describes me.  An independent-thinking Democrat.

If you look at the positions of the Oklahoma Republican Party, you'll see why I'm pretty much a Democrat.  Especially, the economic and civil union issues.  Believe me, civil unions would never pass in Oklahoma, and that is where I somewhat disagree with them.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 01:29:01 AM »

Now, look at my avatar.  That best describes me.  An independent-thinking Democrat.

If you look at the positions of the Oklahoma Republican Party, you'll see why I'm pretty much a Democrat.  Especially, the economic and civil union issues.  Believe me, civil unions would never pass in Oklahoma, and that is where I somewhat disagree with them.

I was gonna say that!

And now, I'll dedicate a song to you:

It's not that easy bein' green;
Having to spend each day the color of the leaves.
When I think it could be nicer being red, or yellow or gold-
or something much more colorful like that.

It's not easy bein' green.
It seems you blend in with so many other ordinary things.
And people tend to pass you over 'cause you're not standing out like flashy sparkles in the water- or stars in the sky.

But green's the color of Spring.
And green can be cool and friendly-like.
And green can be big like an ocean, or important like a mountain, or tall like a tree.

When green is all there is to be
It could make you wonder why, but why wonder why? Wonder,
I am green and it'll do fine, it's beautiful!
And I think it's what I want to be.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 01:33:36 AM »

I was gonna say that!

And people tend to pass you over 'cause you're not standing out like flashy sparkles in the water- or stars in the sky.

And green can be big like an ocean, or important like a mountain, or tall like a tree.

[tears] [sniff] [sniff]
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 01:38:42 AM »

I was gonna say that!

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 02:09:32 AM »

So, BushOK, what precisely is the source of your intolerance?  I'm just curious.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2007, 02:24:39 AM »

So, BushOK, what precisely is the source of your intolerance?  I'm just curious.

If I'm so intolerant, then why am I friends with a gay man?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 02:34:02 AM »

I don't know why, Oklie, but most wife beaters 'love' their victims.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 02:55:36 AM »

I don't know why, Oklie, but most wife beaters 'love' their victims.

I hope you're not calling me a wife-beater and I don't think you are for the record.  I don't even have a wife, plus as many of my closest friends and even those who don't know me too well, I'm pretty harmless.  I rarely lay a hand on anybody, except embracing in a hug or a handshake, but never do I hit or punch anybody.

I told you I am friends with a gay man.  As I have repeated several times, I do not like the gay lifestyle, based purely on the Bible.  However, I do not believe the best way to get people out of that lifestyle is by violence.  In fact, that does more harm than good and plunges them deeper into that lifestyle.  The best way to get people out of it, from what I believe, is by loving them and befriending them and making them feel like a human being instead of useless piece of fag trash like some fundamentalists treat them as.  My support of civil unions is based on that, I don't want them to feel any less of a human being.  I want them to feel like they are important to society in hopes that I may show them or someone else may show them what the Godly joys of a heterosexual relationship can be (morally, of course).  My non support of gay marriage is based on the fact that marriage is an institution created by God between one man and one woman.  It is a sacred institution and necessary to preserve life upon the face of the earth.  It is my goal to promote the sanctity of the family, rather than try to change what a family consists of.  I want to make this clear -- I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH THE GAY PERSON, JUST THE GAY LIFESTYLE.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2007, 06:02:10 AM »

I told you I am friends with a gay man.  As I have repeated several times, I do not like the gay lifestyle, based purely on the Bible.  However, I do not believe the best way to get people out of that lifestyle is by violence.  In fact, that does more harm than good and plunges them deeper into that lifestyle.  The best way to get people out of it, from what I believe, is by loving them and befriending them and making them feel like a human being instead of useless piece of fag trash like some fundamentalists treat them as.  My support of civil unions is based on that, I don't want them to feel any less of a human being.  I want them to feel like they are important to society in hopes that I may show them or someone else may show them what the Godly joys of a heterosexual relationship can be (morally, of course).  My non support of gay marriage is based on the fact that marriage is an institution created by God between one man and one woman.  It is a sacred institution and necessary to preserve life upon the face of the earth.  It is my goal to promote the sanctity of the family, rather than try to change what a family consists of.  I want to make this clear -- I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH THE GAY PERSON, JUST THE GAY LIFESTYLE.
[/quote]

I'll probably be slated for this, but I find what you just said deeply patronising. If you genuinely wished to treat gay people as 'human beings' you would accept the way they live their life. What gay people do does not harm others. Nor is it of consequence to anyone but themselves and their partners. If you believe the Bible instructs you not to do so, then you are mistaken and I'm more than happy to PM you with the particulars of why the Bible has been the subject of brutal misinterpretation for other means. Anyone moving from up front, vocal and arrogant gay bashing to subtlety is still causing the same damage and the same hurt to the same people. It's just voiced in a different way.

Secondly, marriage is not an 'institution created by God' as the concept of marriage existed in pre-Christian society and exists in many other, non Christian and indeed non religious parts of the world. Marriage is a universal, cross faith and man made institution
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2007, 06:06:21 AM »

As I have repeated several times, I do not like the gay lifestyle, based purely on the Bible.  However, I do not believe the best way to get people out of that lifestyle is by violence.  In fact, that does more harm than good and plunges them deeper into that lifestyle.

Why does being exposed to violence make someone gay?

My support of civil unions is based on that, I don't want them to feel any less of a human being.

A civil union creates a legal bond between two people of the same sex.  How is giving gays the right to do that going to discourage them from 'plunging' into the "gay lifestyle"?

Also, how exactly is homosexuality a lifestyle anyway?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2007, 06:41:50 AM »

BushOklahoma is unfortunately, falling into the category of an 'armchair psychologist' in that being gay is a wretched position, a 'fall' that is brought on by something negative. It's, and I don't mean to be personal, deeply annoying that those take that position believing themselves to have a better understanding of the issues at hand than people who are gay, or professional psychologists. I had a wonderful childhood, with the same love and support and opportunity as my (straight) older brothers and sister. I had a great time as a teenager. Yet I've met people who have said 'oh your gay, you must have been...you know abused.'

It made me intensely angry, and of course an overactive response just made them believe 'oh he's hiding something'. I couldn't win. The real reason why some gay people, teenagers especially suffer mental health problems (which everyone can suffer from) is because they face a barrage of passive and agressive negativity. Take them out of that environment, or if they accept their sexuality regardless of the taunts and the bible waving, then they don't have that problem.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2007, 07:38:26 AM »

I have no problem with straight people, just the straight lifestyle and related moralism. If you christians are showing people people "the joys of straight lifestyle" doeso this mean that I can "convert"(read: make their latent homosexual tendencies active) straight guys into being gay/bi? One has to be fair and balanced.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2007, 08:58:09 AM »

Mind you, the best ideological word to describe me is "populist".  I am a populist-conservative in a lot of respects.

sounds pretty horrible.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2007, 09:22:34 AM »

sounds pretty horrible.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2007, 09:45:47 AM »

Yet I've met people who have said 'oh your gay, you must have been...you know abused.'

It is ridiculous to insinuate that sexual abuse is the main culprit in determining someone's homosexuality.

HOWEVER.  Something as life-shattering as sexual abuse has profound, often irreversable affects on a person's sexual development.  They are infinitely more likely to come to, on a deeper, subconcious level, seek out similar abuse or sexual situations when they start becoming sexually active.

I think that a large part of being gay is genetic and hormonal, but I do not doubt for a moment that there are people who wind up identifying as gay because of something that happened in their past, even if they cannot or will not realize it as such. 

(Which means, no, I'm not saying that homosexuality is a choice.)

help pray it out of me, plz i must notve been praying hard enuf yet  Sad  Sad  Sad
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2007, 09:56:06 AM »

Get a clue and switch to blue!
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2007, 11:59:08 AM »

Why are you asking that Opebo? He is an American, it is ingrained in him! Wink
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies