SR 114-27: Expel Senator Blairite (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 07:16:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SR 114-27: Expel Senator Blairite (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SR 114-27: Expel Senator Blairite (Passed)  (Read 1232 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: April 24, 2023, 10:07:44 PM »
« edited: April 24, 2023, 10:25:16 PM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?action=profile;u=16104;sa=showPosts

I was going to abstain but then I looked at this posting history and it seems the last Senate related posts was in early July.

Aye

Edit: It also seems that was the only Senate activity in the past year. Posts about the Kansas crisis of last April are on the first page of posts.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2023, 10:13:34 PM »

I would like to go on record that if we are expelling Blairite, we should also attempt to put an end to this proxy voting debacle by expelling NC Yankee.

Right because a Senator suffering from a publicly disclosed work place injury with a posted LOA is totally the same as a Senator who was somehow allowed to be weekended at Bernies for nine months. Roll Eyes

I would love to say what's on my mind right now, but I have to moderate this board.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2023, 11:07:24 PM »

I would like to go on record that if we are expelling Blairite, we should also attempt to put an end to this proxy voting debacle by expelling NC Yankee.

Right because a Senator suffering from a publicly disclosed work place injury with a posted LOA is totally the same as a Senator who was somehow allowed to be weekended at Bernies for nine months. Roll Eyes

I would love to say what's on my mind right now, but I have to moderate this board.

It's nothing against you personally. But either you should have resigned, or we should just accept your absence without the proxy and not be expelling Blairite.

HOW TF IS THIS NOT PERSONAL?

Blairite made ONE post in the Senate in a whole damn year (voting for WD to be PPT mind you), even while voting in every election in between. For all we know he was intentionally elected by the Dengists in April 2022 to do just that, the same way Xahar was years back (elected for the express purpose of being inactive).

There is no comparison and there is no legitimate equivalence between the two situations.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2023, 11:18:44 PM »

Has Blairite even been in the Senate since January?

I didn't realize he changed seats until someone mentioned he was in Pacific on Discord.

There is no oath in January for the Pacific seat and his At-Large seat expired that month and is currently held by Pyro.
https://talkelections.org/AFEWIKI/index.php?title=Senate_(Fifth_Constitution)
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2023, 11:25:27 PM »

Has Blairite even been in the Senate since January?

I didn't realize he changed seats until someone mentioned he was in Pacific on Discord.

There is no oath in January for the Pacific seat and his At-Large seat expired that month and is currently held by Pyro.
https://talkelections.org/AFEWIKI/index.php?title=Senate_(Fifth_Constitution)

I don't think he ever swore in, so he was never in the senate, which means that every vote cast in the past is invalid since january.

He hasn't cast any in that time period.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2023, 11:31:17 PM »

He deleted it at some point since January, but it was there.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2023, 11:33:37 PM »

Its a four month term.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2023, 11:34:37 PM »
« Edited: April 24, 2023, 11:38:58 PM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

The Pacific deserves better, and given people recently attacked the senate for being too inactive, this would be a step in the right direction.

Also this does change some things, given if you need a two third majority of the senate (or a majority in the senate), the math would be different depending on having 17 or 18 senators. In this case, the senate had 17 senators, not 18.

Most such votes in Atlasia are of the whole chamber, not of the members or members voting.

Correction: Constitution and rules say of the members for expulsion.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2023, 11:36:45 PM »

12 would be 2/3rds of 18 no?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2023, 11:48:00 PM »

It's nothing against you personally. But either you should have resigned, or we should just accept your absence without the proxy and not be expelling Blairite.

HOW TF IS THIS NOT PERSONAL?

Blairite made ONE post in the Senate in a whole damn year (voting for WD to be PPT mind you), even while voting in every election in between. For all we know he was intentionally elected by the Dengists in April 2022 to do just that, the same way Xahar was years back (elected for the express purpose of being inactive).

There is no comparison and there is no legitimate equivalence between the two situations.

It's not personal because I understand your circumstances. If I had your issues, I would have resigned from my office, rather than do what you did.

You clearly didn't intend to just refuse to go to work, you had an unfortunate incident preventing you from doing so. Unfortunately, you probably should have resigned.

If I ever return to the Senate, or any other elected office, I would like to see LOA's become indefinite for situations like yours, quite frankly, as that seems to also have been a problem here, as well as vote thresholds lowered in the Senate rules to account for absent Senators.

That said, you have the right to your opinion, and one thing I think we can both agree on is that that the pending changes to the Senate rules will make it so what happened to you will never happen again, which is a good thing.

What Blarite did is inexcusable and he should be expelled, there's no question there.

You are not going to slither out of this. You made this false equivalency and now you own it.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2023, 11:59:24 PM »

I am inquiring as to the practicality of removing post deletion as an option in the Swearing in Thread. Something similar was previously done for the Voting Booth, but that is a board level restriction, so it may not work at the thread level.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2023, 12:55:11 AM »

Just out of curiosity, what do you think I went through?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2023, 01:30:44 AM »

Just out of curiosity, what do you think I went through?

A medical ailment that impaired your ability to mentally function for extended periods of time, but not to post in the event of an emergency.

Theoretically, an employer could fire you and justify it and you could sue them and win (your chances of doing so successfully might depend on jurisdiction and how much money you have for a good lawyer) if you missed as much as time as Blarite has with what you had...which you didn't.

No.

I messed up both my knees at work, that's where this all started.

I find it rather irritating and insulting to be lectured to about what would happen to me "if I had a real job" when it was a reel fing job of almost ten years that got me into this mess in the first place. The causes of the injuries, the cause of much of the anxiety, the feeling of being trapped in an unhealthy work situation because of transportation, proximity and housing costs, all of which were factors before the major injury in March.

Also as if I have not had a front row seat in terms of workman's compensation, medical leaves, medical malpractice and malfeasance at nearly every level of interaction so far for the past month and a half. I am older than you, I have worked my ass off in a thankless job making far too little for far too much physical damage, for far too long to be lectured to as if I am some teenager in High School who needs to be made aware of the nature "of real work".

I would appreciate it if you would stop mentioning my name and stop patronizing me in this manner.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2023, 01:32:07 AM »

Nay

This is not going to make any difference so it feels spiteful.

Your're only saying that because Blairite is a Labor Party member. If I didn't show up for work for a month, I would be fired, and guess what, the reason wouldn't really matter either, barring extreme circumstances (i.e worse than what Yankee went through...but then again, he was gone for less time than that).

I don't think this vote has any significance, since Blairite is leaving office so soon anyway. So effectively this IS just a vote about whether or not we like Blairite.

What is your reaction and thoughts about the fact that Blairite deleted his swearing in post at some point?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2023, 01:36:57 AM »

Nay

This is not going to make any difference so it feels spiteful.

Your're only saying that because Blairite is a Labor Party member. If I didn't show up for work for a month, I would be fired, and guess what, the reason wouldn't really matter either, barring extreme circumstances (i.e worse than what Yankee went through...but then again, he was gone for less time than that).

I don't think this vote has any significance, since Blairite is leaving office so soon anyway. So effectively this IS just a vote about whether or not we like Blairite.

I like to do some things in the last week and a half during this session.

That you are not interested in moving things forward is pretty obvious though.

This is not a vote about whether we like Blairite or not. And if you want to hear my thoughts about that. Yes I do like him.

I don't have an opinion about him personally, but I found his adjacency to the Kansas fiasco alarming and I have some consideration to the possibility that this was a big year long troll effort, which if true my hat goes off to him as well as my horror. I will keep an open mind on that possibility for now.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2023, 09:23:37 PM »

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=536623.msg8953682#msg8953682

Looks like he deleted an amendment he offered in January.

This looks more and more like a Sirnick/Averroes Nix situation.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2023, 11:20:06 PM »

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=536623.msg8953682#msg8953682

Looks like he deleted an amendment he offered in January.

This looks more and more like a Sirnick/Averroes Nix situation.

Can you elaborate on this?

Sirnick was NE Chamber administrator in late 2014/early 2015. He decided to leave the game in a blaze of glory and deleted a bunch of threads for the Assembly.

Averroes Nix was a former President and Vice President and after being impeached for his role in the July Crisis of 2015, deleted most all of his Atlasia posts, including his 2013 White House thread.

Its less serious here because Blairite was just a lower activity Senator, but it is a detrimental action to say the least since it makes it hard to decipher what happened in a given thread if posts are disappearing from it.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2023, 12:02:13 AM »

I am inquiring as to the practicality of removing post deletion as an option in the Swearing in Thread. Something similar was previously done for the Voting Booth, but that is a board level restriction, so it may not work at the thread level.

I have been told this is too impractical and would require too much code changes at this time to accomplish.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies