IA-PPP: Rumors of Obama's decline there false (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 06:29:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  IA-PPP: Rumors of Obama's decline there false (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: IA-PPP: Rumors of Obama's decline there false  (Read 2611 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: May 08, 2012, 11:53:12 PM »
« edited: May 08, 2012, 11:57:16 PM by All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone »

Iowa is an enigma. It's full of corn and farmers, yet it has a distinctive democratic lean and doesn't seem to be trending to the right. What makes Iowa more liberal than other farming states?

Iowa is not understood well by people not from the Midwest. It's not some land of endless fields of corn. It has cities where the population actually lives, and while they aren't large enough to give rise to white flight and hordes of ugly suburban conservatism they are large enough to have a somewhat cosmopolitan and liberal culture. There's no reason to expect places like Des Moines, Iowa City, Cedar Rapids, Waterloo and Davenport to vote Republican.

The whole movie Cedar Rapids is based on this thing, Ed Helms' character plays someone from rural small town Wisconsin who goes on a business trip to Cedar Rapids and is overwhelmed by the "big city" culture.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 09:27:49 PM »

Iowa isn't as moralistic as people tend to believe either, it's got strip clubs everywhere and you can play slots in the back of gas stations. I get the impression that the culture there (as well as southern Minnesota) is just too laid back to flip out over that type of nonsense.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies