Are you an idiot if you keep voting on a party that never gets represented?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 08:05:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Are you an idiot if you keep voting on a party that never gets represented?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are you an idiot if you keep voting on a party that never gets represented?  (Read 1123 times)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 25, 2013, 03:09:31 AM »

I am a vote waster, since I have voted for the Christian Democrats in all the three national elections I have had the opportunity to vote in. The party ended up below the threshold in all three elections. To my defence they were represented in our parliament in 2005 and it wasn't completely unrealistic they could get back in 2007. 2011 was more a case of pure vote wasting.

So I am an idiot for wasting my vote?

(this is a general question about vote wasting, so I am not interested in hearing whether you think all Christian Democrats are idiots Tongue )
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 03:15:23 AM »

There's a good argument that minor parties can have a significant impact on politics even if they never win, by bringing issues that major parties are ignoring into the political mainstream or by forcing a shift among the major parties. The classic example is the Free Soil Party in the US. I'm not sure of any European examples of that, sorry.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 03:17:55 AM »

If you're voting for the person you think would do the best job at the position, then no, you can't waste your vote.  The people wasting their vote are those voting for a lesser of two evils.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 05:29:31 AM »

No, you're not an idiot. You've got standards.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 07:48:46 AM »

Absolutely not. It's better to vote for what you believe is right.  Politicus, why do you vote Christian Democrat as opposed to Venstre, Conservative People's, Liberal Alliance etc.?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 10:07:22 AM »

Depends on where you live, it I would lean no. I believe in tactical voting, though.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 10:41:30 AM »

No. I don't believe in tactical voting at all, you just end up p*****d off either way.

Just look at those Labour, Green, SNP, Plaid, etc. supporters who voted Liberal to keep the Tory candidate out and ended up with a Tory government anyway.

FPTP encourages tactical voting, and as such it is massive in our elections. Many of the voters of the parties you listed above are only there because they're the best suited, credible (with all of its tactical voting connotations), party to vote for out of the narrow options. As such, while politicus' determined voting for the Christian Democrats can be excused (formally represented, PR, low threshold), there is nothing stupider to my mind to go out and waste your time being the x minority in a FPTP constituency. May as well opt out.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 12:47:30 PM »

If you do so thinking that your vote is going to get your candidate elected when they don't realistically stand any chance, then yes. If you are doing so for other reasons - such as principles or ensuring your party has continued ballot access - in full awareness of the fact your candidate won't win, then no.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 12:53:24 PM »

Whether you are an idiot depends on the circumstances.  Do you have a preference between the parties that do get represented?  If so, then cast your vote for the party you prefer amongst those that have a chance may be the prudent thing to do.  If not, or if your preference is minor, then vote your heart and hope that your example will get others to follow, if not in this election then in a future election.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 01:10:13 PM »

No. I don't believe in tactical voting at all, you just end up p*****d off either way.

Just look at those Labour, Green, SNP, Plaid, etc. supporters who voted Liberal to keep the Tory candidate out and ended up with a Tory government anyway.

I started voting tactically when my local MP was one Irvine Patnick (a Tory mainly remembered for his involvement in the media's disgraceful reporting of the Hillsborough disaster).  There didn't appear to be any chance that Labour would beat him, and I didn't have a very strong preference for Labour over the Lib Dems anyway, so I voted Lib Dem, as did many others, and he lost to a Lib Dem in 1997.

Now, of course, in 2005 the Lib Dem who won in 1997 retired, and was succeeded by one of your favourite people.  And yes, I'm not terribly happy with what he's done since 2010 and am not going to vote for him next time, but he's still better than the likes of Irvine Patnick.  (The Tories have weakened here to the extent that there's no real need to vote tactically against them any more anyway.  Even the local Lib Dems' barcharts have switched to trying to squeeze the Tory vote rather than the Labour vote.)

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 03:29:20 PM »

Obviously not. I generally support tactical voting, but if you prefer to vote with your convictions I respect your choice.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 08:20:45 PM »

My experience of supporting Ralph Nader in 2000, and seeing what exactly the Nader boomlet caused, have forced me to conclude that tactical voting is utterly mandatory.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 08:58:46 PM »

If you believe in what they support, then no.
pugbug
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 09:55:41 PM »

It seems that tactical voting isn't quite the phenomenon internationally as it is in the US. I could be wrong, but I'm not sure if any other countries have two parties that dominate the vote the way the Dems and GOP do in the states.

I have voted tactically, but only because my second-choice candidate had a better chance at beating the incumbent than my first-choice did. I don't know if I would ever have to vote for my third-choice, but desperate times call for desperate measures.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 08:00:43 AM »

It seems that tactical voting isn't quite the phenomenon internationally as it is in the US. I could be wrong, but I'm not sure if any other countries have two parties that dominate the vote the way the Dems and GOP do in the states.

I have voted tactically, but only because my second-choice candidate had a better chance at beating the incumbent than my first-choice did. I don't know if I would ever have to vote for my third-choice, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Ha! I had coerced you to vote NDP Cheesy

Personally, I would never vote tactically. I have always voted for the candidate of my preference. Although in municipal elections, I might ignore some of the fringe candidates who I might prefer more in favour of a more well known candidate. But that didn't stop me from voting for the crazy lady in the last mayoral election. 
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2013, 10:51:10 AM »

In the Parliamentary system then no.

But in America if you vote third party you are honestly just wasting your vote. Especially for President. They call it a "two-party system" for a reason, there are really only two parties that are relevant.

Minor factions are better off infiltrating one of the major parties.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2013, 01:57:51 PM »

...and a good way to get their attention is to vote for a party that actually represents your views.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2013, 08:24:40 PM »

If you think they are the best party, then no.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies