"24" will get a female President in January 2008 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 05:18:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  "24" will get a female President in January 2008 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "24" will get a female President in January 2008  (Read 7702 times)
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« on: July 24, 2007, 01:28:40 PM »

She might be a Republican, Naso.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 02:33:02 PM »

If this is yet another attempt to soften the nation for a Hitlery Presidency, I'l be boycotting the seventh season.

Yes, I concur. The leader lacks a penis, so therefore, it's pro-Hillary. I'm sorry. Hitlery.

Besides, given that the writers seem to be out of ideas, I'm sure the 25th amendment will be invoked sometime during the season. Or she'll be assassinated/wounded in an assassination attempt. Presidents don't seem to last very long on 24.

Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 05:55:19 PM »
« Edited: July 27, 2007, 05:58:30 PM by Boris »

If this is yet another attempt to soften the nation for a Hitlery Presidency, I'l be boycotting the seventh season.

Yes, I concur. The leader lacks a penis, so therefore, it's pro-Hillary. I'm sorry. Hitlery.

Besides, given that the writers seem to be out of ideas, I'm sure the 25th amendment will be invoked sometime during the season. Or she'll be assassinated/wounded in an assassination attempt. Presidents don't seem to last very long on 24.

To take a phrase from Red on That 70's Show, read my entire post, dumbass.

Did he really say that? In what context? (I haven't watched the show in years)

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Ah, yes, the great conjunction of 'if.' But yeah, Actual policy has never really been discussed 24. Were it not for some remark that Sherry Palmer made in season 1, the political affiliations of the politicians wouldn't be known. The politicians on 24 spend their time either plotting against Jack Bauer, being incompetent/stupid, being assassinated, or just being cool (see David Palmer). There's nothing to be suspicious about, and even if there were, I'm sure this President will be assassinated or removed from power via the 25th amendment in no time at all. Also, the writers of 24 aren't exactly known for their left-wing politics.

btw, Hitlerly is a very witty name. Did you come up with that by yourself? If so, kudos to you. Democrats suck at coming up with creative names for their political opposition. Hell, some of the folks at Dailykos refer to Wolfowitz as 'wolfy.' C'mon.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 07:58:17 PM »
« Edited: July 27, 2007, 08:02:01 PM by Boris »

Hmm...the ONLY republican president has been an evil SOB, while all of the Democratic politicians have been squeaky clean except for Daniels (who seems like a blue dog.)  Nope, not left-wing at all *eyeroll

Yes, but the odds of the writers actually insinuating anything from the aforementioned fact are slim to nil. Were they actually making a political point, it'd be far more obvious, as the only people cognizant about the presidential political affiliations are nerds like us who have seen presumably seen all six seasons. Joel Surnow, the co-creator and one of the lead writers, is a self-described conservative and I believe has donated money to the RNC as well as Rick Santorum's re-election bid. The show consistently espouses torture as being effective and necessary, bashes Amnesty International (in a rather comedic episode), portrays liberal protesters as complete pussies, and also portrays a family of Muslims as terrorists. Although Season 2 had a nice forewarning about getting the facts straight before rushing to war.

The fact that the only effective Presidents on 24 have been Democrats is nothing more than an ironic coincidence. Although I wouldn't exactly describe Palmer as being 'squeaky-clean;' he ordered the execution of the coolest character ever, Ryan Chappelle. What a douche. I would've gladly seen the U.S. destroyed but Chappelle still alive.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 11:59:59 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2007, 12:02:00 AM by Boris »

Dayam, I just got served by Naso Cheesy

Once they spilled David Palmer's affiliation in Day One, one can deduct that the guy who ran against him is a Republican.

I never said otherwise.

Mason was an awesome character too. Does anyone long for the good ole days with Kim, Mason, Tony, Chappelle, Michelle, etc. The new characters really suck.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 12:49:30 AM »

Once they spilled David Palmer's affiliation in Day One, one can deduct that the guy who ran against him is a Republican.

I never said otherwise. 

Right, I was just saying it didn't take a nerd who'd seen every episode.

My words were an exaggeration to make a point. IIRC, the line is mentioned once by Sherry Palmer in an episode that aired six years ago. The average 24 viewer nowadays most likely is incognizant of such knowledge and is even more unlikely to then make the connection that Logan is a Republican. Being that most people are unaware of the political affiliation (since, as I mentioned before, actual policy is never really discussed), the idea to insert a political point utilizing the respective Presidents' political parties would be rather useless, wouldn't it? Especially when most of the writers probably believe in the opposite of such a point.

IIRC, that line was ad-libbed by Penny Johnson Jerald anyway and therefore wasn't in the actual script penned by the writers.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies