Taiwan population declines for the 1st time (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 05:31:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Taiwan population declines for the 1st time (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Taiwan population declines for the 1st time  (Read 2528 times)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« on: January 16, 2021, 07:37:30 AM »

Aren't some European countries in a pretty similar situation?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 07:35:55 AM »

Time for Taiwan to think about a new immigration policy.

Agreed, although that raises a long term policy question:

The UN predicts that the global birth rate will drop below replacement around 2060 (and probably sooner since that projection relies on Western fertility increasing. Fertility rates decreases as a society's wealth increases, so as the 3rd world develops, there will be a double whammy, with fewer babies born in immigration-prone societies, and fewer of those kids will want to emigrate since they will be living in more prosperous societies.

In the very long term, Western societies will need to increase their birth rates to avoid Japanification, even if they have solid immigration now.
That policy sell doesn’t work outside the super religious. Where do robots fall?

I dispute that.

This isn't about Mormons having six kids a piece. It's about encouraging some people to have one more child than they otherwise would have, children that they'd like to have in fact:

Women's ideal fertility has been stable at about 2.2-2.3 kids (i.e. above replacement) since 1990, and their intended fertility was similar until the Great Recession. Meanwhile actual fertility has dipped below replacement. This means that there are many families out there that want to have more kids, but aren't having them.

I'm just suggesting that the state encourage people to have the babies that they already want.
Okay. How can this be promoted without homophobia(Putin used homophobic arguments to increase Russians fertility)??

Well, either homophobic or anti-feminist.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 08:14:11 AM »

The type of immigration policy on ROC is mostly a combination of guest workers from SE Asia much like Turks in FRG in the 1960s plus immigration via marriage.  The marriage route are mostly Mainland Chinese (which I do not consider immigration anyway since PRC and ROC are part of One China), Vietnamese, and some Koreans/Chinese.  Recently there has been some Ukrainian brides that have showed up.

All things equal the immigrant (usually wife) and children from these marriages have been having a hard time adopting.  It is easiest for those from Mainland China, harder for non-Chinese Orientals and the hardest for non-Orientals.  Because of this I doubt the marriage route will be that many in numbers in the medium run.  
Why Ukrainians?

From what I hear or see on the media they mostly operate as mail order brides from Eastern Europe with a focus on Ukraine given the poor state of the economy there.  In the early 1990s it was the Mainland China, in the early 2000s it was Vietnam, now it is Ukraine.

Don't forget the Philippines.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies