What exactly is wrong with Irish or Italians specifically converting to Protestantism? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:54:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  What exactly is wrong with Irish or Italians specifically converting to Protestantism? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What exactly is wrong with Irish or Italians specifically converting to Protestantism?  (Read 2289 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: May 28, 2022, 04:07:43 AM »

In the US statistically Catholics are high 'switchers' with Pew some years ago having 40% leaving the faith they were raised in.

Amongst Latinxos we know, and have discussed on here about a sizable shift amongst older adults to Evangelicalism, and amongst younger to Nones.

Irish-American is, compared to a century ago, hard to define as a subset. As noted earlier, it was the General Social Survey in 2014 noted that half of self identified Irish-Catholics were Protestant, with only a third Catholic. But this definition can include Ulster Irish, 'Scots-Irish' etc or whatever background is fashionable to claim as Irish.

But even with that, I don't think original premise holds up much.

The same survey group noted that for those of Italian ancestry (easier to define) 89% identifed as Catholic in 1972 but had fallen to 56% by 2012 years later. I'd guess that a further decade on its somewhat less. Almost Latinos it was also 56% in 2012 but is now 49%.

So again, I don't think it holds up. Biggest losses amongst nearly every denomination this past decade has been to Nones, but earlier declines were more to different religions.

Where the OP premise does hold up, in terms of a 'cultural cringe' surprisingly, is in Scotland.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies