Opinion on savior siblings
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 07:44:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion on savior siblings
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Opinion on savior siblings  (Read 128 times)
Burke Bro
omelott
Israel

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 26, 2023, 06:14:25 AM »
« edited: January 26, 2023, 07:24:37 AM by greenchili02 »

This is a bioethical debate I stumbled upon after watching the movie My Sister's Keeper (based on a book of the same name). The premise of the movie is that a couple has a daughter with lukemia. In order to keep their daughter alive, they conceive of a second daughter through in-vitro fertilization who is genetically compatible with the first in order to supply them with blood transfusions and stem cell transplants. After being pressured by her parents into donating a kidney, the 11-year old second daughter approaches a lawyer to sue them for emancipation.

I’m interested to hear users’ opinions about this. Should parents have the right to create so called “savior siblings,” as there are currently very few laws regulating in-vitro fertilization in the United States? If so should such children be guaranteed access to an adult representative? Where do rights to bodily autonomy and reproductive freedom play into this debate?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 06:48:33 AM »

I'm fine with it for if it's nothing more than the occasional blood draw and there is an end in sight.  I'm 100% against it if they are going to harvest a kidney, get bone marrow, there is no end in sight, it's a LOT of blood draws or other things that would seriously negatively impact the life of the "savior sister".  You can't do that to another living thing, certainly not a human and most certainly not your own child you created just to "milk" the.

I'm not even understanding how one can come to another conclusion.  It seems obvious to me.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 07:13:51 AM »

Isn't that the plot of "House of the Scorpion"?
Burke Bro
omelott
Israel

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2023, 07:28:44 AM »

Isn't that the plot of "House of the Scorpion"?

Not exactly since the main character in house of the scorpion is a literal clone. But it raises similar ethical questions.
Burke Bro
omelott
Israel

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2023, 07:50:23 AM »

I'm fine with it for if it's nothing more than the occasional blood draw and there is an end in sight.  I'm 100% against it if they are going to harvest a kidney, get bone marrow, there is no end in sight, it's a LOT of blood draws or other things that would seriously negatively impact the life of the "savior sister".  You can't do that to another living thing, certainly not a human and most certainly not your own child you created just to "milk" the.

I'm not even understanding how one can come to another conclusion.  It seems obvious to me.

But siblings are statistically the most compatible as bone marrow donors and are therefore often selected to be them. How would such a restriction be fair to families that didn’t get lucky genetically?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2023, 08:07:26 AM »

But siblings are statistically the most compatible as bone marrow donors and are therefore often selected to be them. How would such a restriction be fair to families that didn’t get lucky genetically?

It is never ethical to force someone into organ donation, even if that child was conceived traditionally without the "savior sibling" intent.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2023, 08:34:37 AM »

how is it fair to give birth to something only to medically torture it just to keep her older sister alive for a few more years?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies