Wisconsin Megathread v2: Hagedorn vs. Neubauer
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 10:05:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Wisconsin Megathread v2: Hagedorn vs. Neubauer
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 72
Author Topic: Wisconsin Megathread v2: Hagedorn vs. Neubauer  (Read 88349 times)
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1300 on: December 05, 2018, 02:55:06 PM »

So, early voting as been limited too, right? I thought somebody said there wasn't enough votes for it.

Nope that happened, even though it was recently reinstated via a court order just a couple years ago.

Seriously?? Well, that's going to help to ensure WI goes to Trump in 2020 and GOP victories in WI in 2022. Ridiculous!

Lets not get hyperbolic. It may move the state a bit more to the right, but, especially with how badly Ds want to vote, it shouldnt have a large effect to the point that it makes WI vote R when it should have voted D. The court will also have a word to say about such a law.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1301 on: December 05, 2018, 03:14:25 PM »
« Edited: December 05, 2018, 03:17:46 PM by Virginiá »

Lets not get hyperbolic. It may move the state a bit more to the right, but, especially with how badly Ds want to vote, it shouldnt have a large effect to the point that it makes WI vote R when it should have voted D. The court will also have a word to say about such a law.

I'd wager that, assuming counties that had more than 2 weeks of early voting move to use the entire 2 weeks allowed, there will be almost no change in turnout. Two weeks is still a long time, and people who want to vote generally will make it happen so long as it is reasonably easy. I consider myself fiercely pro-voter in these kinds of debates and even I find it hard to argue that we need 3, 4, 5, ... weeks of early voting.

If you want an example of a really bad early voting law, look to the one (in Wisconsin) the courts overturned in 2016. That law was evil:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/politics/2016/07/30/judge-strikes-down-wisconsin-voter-id-early-voting-laws/87803408/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Not to mention the other non-early voting related measures that were struck down.
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #1302 on: December 05, 2018, 03:57:16 PM »

Just came across this visualization of the gerrymander of the WI Assembly. Stunningly effective.

https://twitter.com/bcburden/status/1069773072587206656
Yep, and it's gonna get worse next cycle as the Milwaukee portion of the delegation would happily Russ Carnahan the rest of the caucus to get theirs, even if the Dems as a whole continue to get decimated.

No they aren't. If anything a fair map would greatly increase the power and representation of Milwaukee County by killing the baconmanders that expend out into Ozaukee and Waukesha.

never underestimate democrats willingless to kill other dems.
As Hofoid said Carnahan was a legit problem and Lacy Clay and Cleaver really deserve more sh**t for doing that backstab .
Yep, this is exactly why the urban strategy will kill Dems downballot (especially in legislative races).
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1303 on: December 05, 2018, 04:07:35 PM »

Just came across this visualization of the gerrymander of the WI Assembly. Stunningly effective.

https://twitter.com/bcburden/status/1069773072587206656
Yep, and it's gonna get worse next cycle as the Milwaukee portion of the delegation would happily Russ Carnahan the rest of the caucus to get theirs, even if the Dems as a whole continue to get decimated.

No they aren't. If anything a fair map would greatly increase the power and representation of Milwaukee County by killing the baconmanders that expend out into Ozaukee and Waukesha.

never underestimate democrats willingless to kill other dems.
As Hofoid said Carnahan was a legit problem and Lacy Clay and Cleaver really deserve more sh**t for doing that backstab .

That example is not remotely comparable in any way, shape or form (Missouri lost a seat) and completely fails to debunk the point he made about the actual Wisconsin map.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1304 on: December 05, 2018, 04:33:38 PM »

Another thing I forgot and will be important to remember going forward is that Wisconsin has one of the most powerful gubernatorial line item veto powers in the country. The courts have upheld that even cutting out letters to make new words and sentences is legit.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1305 on: December 05, 2018, 04:41:09 PM »

Another thing I forgot and will be important to remember going forward is that Wisconsin has one of the most powerful gubernatorial line item veto powers in the country. The courts have upheld that even cutting out letters to make new words and sentences is legit.

LOL

That seems incredibly sketchy, tbh. If a bill was sufficiently long enough, couldn't you end up crafting entire provisions unrelated to the original purpose? Like turn a budget into a voter ID repeal?
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1306 on: December 05, 2018, 04:47:24 PM »

LOL

That seems incredibly sketchy, tbh. If a bill was sufficiently long enough, couldn't you end up crafting entire provisions unrelated to the original purpose? Like turn a budget into a voter ID repeal?

Looks like they have amendend the consitution that they can't get rid of single letters or combine sentances. But they can still get rid of numbers and words in a single sentence.

Tommy Thompson was notorious using it to cross out letters and combing sentences. Jim Doyle used selective deletion to transform "a 272-word section of the Legislature's budget into a 20-word sentence that took $427 million from the transportation budget and gave it to public schools."
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #1307 on: December 05, 2018, 05:01:11 PM »

LOL

Looks like they have amendend the consitution that they can't get rid of single letters or combine sentances. But they can still get rid of numbers and words in a single sentence.

Tommy Thompson was notorious using it to cross out letters and combing sentences. Jim Doyle used selective deletion to transform "a 272-word section of the Legislature's budget into a 20-word sentence that took $427 million from the transportation budget and gave it to public schools."

amazing
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #1308 on: December 05, 2018, 05:42:45 PM »
« Edited: December 05, 2018, 05:49:14 PM by No More Scottholes »

Good luck trying to make me and many other young workers stay in the state, WI Republicans. You're really doing the state a great service...

Even more disappointing is the silence from our Republican friends...

I missed this comment of yours, but please don't leave WI. The fewer progressive voices we have, the worse for the future of our state. Plus, you're just going to help make WI redder......Tongue

We have done good this year, but unfortunately the fight to rid our state government of corruption is not over.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1309 on: December 05, 2018, 06:35:39 PM »

Good luck trying to make me and many other young workers stay in the state, WI Republicans. You're really doing the state a great service...

I missed this comment of yours, but please don't leave WI. The fewer progressive voices we have, the worse for the future of our state. Plus, you're just going to help make WI redder......Tongue

We have done good this year, but unfortunately the fight to rid our state government of corruption is not over.

My long term plans didn't quite involve WI, but it wasn't altogether discarded barring some stroke of luck. This kind of politics, though, are repulsive and spits in the face of all Wisconsinites, many of whom are standing by and smirking because it benefits their party of preference.

Alongside horrible health policies, a seemingly eternally gamed WI congress, and its ever-growing harmful divisions, what can WI offer me that, say, MN can't?
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #1310 on: December 05, 2018, 07:36:44 PM »

My long term plans didn't quite involve WI, but it wasn't altogether discarded barring some stroke of luck. This kind of politics, though, are repulsive and spits in the face of all Wisconsinites, many of whom are standing by and smirking because it benefits their party of preference.

Alongside horrible health policies, a seemingly eternally gamed WI congress, and its ever-growing harmful divisions, what can WI offer me that, say, MN can't?

This is very frustrating to me as well, so I can't argue with that! Some Conservatives are saying that Democrats did the same thing in 2010, but that's not even true. During Doyle's final days, some Dems tried to push some labor contracts through, but not enough Dems supported the move, so it failed. The Dems didn't try to change the structure of governance, however.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Smiley
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #1311 on: December 05, 2018, 07:58:24 PM »

Okay! This person is a genius. Governor-elect Evers should consider this! Howard Dean is a smart governor!

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1312 on: December 05, 2018, 08:14:53 PM »

Okay! This person is a genius. Governor-elect Evers should consider this! Howard Dean is a smart governor!

Yep. Dems need to play hardball, otherwise the GOP will never learn. The only thing they understand is raw power. Unilaterally disarming and hoping the GOP magically becomes a sane party or that the voters will hold them accountable for their disdain for democracy is an incredibly foolish strategy, and will only continue to encourage their behavior and allow them to keep pushing the envelope further and further.

Removing the legislature's budget in Wisconsin is a good start. Let's also abolish the redistricting commission in California and draw a 51-2 map (be sure to gerrymander out McCarthy as well.) Court packing should also be on the table. Once the GOP is ready to be a serious political party again rather than attempting to turn the country into a banana republic due to their lust for power, then we can come to the negotiating table.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1313 on: December 05, 2018, 08:31:17 PM »

Let's also abolish the redistricting commission in California and draw a 51-2 map (be sure to gerrymander out McCarthy as well.)

I was just saying this to Antonio the other night. I'm not sure it would even be that difficult, given the Central Valley's natural geography. Maybe McCarthy can be next in line to lose to the bankrupt carpetbagging gringo.
Wiz in Wis

« Reply #1314 on: December 05, 2018, 11:04:29 PM »

Let's also abolish the redistricting commission in California and draw a 51-2 map (be sure to gerrymander out McCarthy as well.)

I was just saying this to Antonio the other night. I'm not sure it would even be that difficult, given the Central Valley's natural geography. Maybe McCarthy can be next in line to lose to the bankrupt carpetbagging gringo.

Just bacon strip orange county at this point because its a blue county lol.

I know this is CA content in the WI tab... but fivethirtyeight did a Dem gerrymander of Cali and still couldn't do better than 6 GOP seats left... though, the post Trump shift may have moved these numbers around:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/redistricting-maps/california/#Dem
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #1315 on: December 06, 2018, 08:21:05 AM »

WIGOP has become one of the worst state parties in the country (next to NCGOP).

Thankfully, I have confidence that WI voters are independent-minded enough that they are seeing what is going on and will continue to deliver swift backlashes in local elections until the crooks are out of office.

Unfortunately, all they'll get is being thrown out of office eventually. What they deserve is prison.
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #1316 on: December 06, 2018, 03:32:37 PM »

WIGOP has become one of the worst state parties in the country (next to NCGOP).

Thankfully, I have confidence that WI voters are independent-minded enough that they are seeing what is going on and will continue to deliver swift backlashes in local elections until the crooks are out of office.

Unfortunately, all they'll get is being thrown out of office eventually. What they deserve is prison.

I agree, but the same thing is happening in Michigan, too. The GOP has pretty much gone mad nationwide. We all know Scott Walker isn't going to veto the bills, but I wonder if Michigan's current governor Rick Snyder will. He seems a bit more reasonable than Walker.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1317 on: December 06, 2018, 09:32:20 PM »
« Edited: December 07, 2018, 12:20:28 AM by Virginiá »

Governor's Race By Assembly District

*** mod note: fixed image size
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1318 on: December 06, 2018, 09:38:17 PM »
« Edited: December 07, 2018, 12:18:17 AM by Virginiá »

Senate Race By Assembly District

*** mod note: fixed image size
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1319 on: December 06, 2018, 11:40:25 PM »

So Baldwin won a majority of districts?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1320 on: December 07, 2018, 12:20:07 AM »
« Edited: December 07, 2018, 12:24:00 AM by Virginiá »

One thing I find annoying talking about politics in-depth is that it can be really hard to keep track of all the finer details of a particular pol's legacy. In this case, with Scott Walker, 8 years of scandals, power grabs, shameless selling out to corporate interests and various partisan schemes to cement GOP rule, is a lot to file away.

Here is a twitter thread that captures some of his worst moments, sources included:

I know partisans love to snipe at each other how the OTHERS are terrible and corrupt, and OUR way is the right way, but not every governor is a empty suit partisan hack. Scott Walker is truly one of the worst. Seemingly indifferent or incapable of understanding the concept of ethics, and no clear set of principles beyond the pursuit of power, he is the kind of governor that no one should want, regardless if he's on your "team" or not. He embodies almost everything people say they hate about politicians. And most of all, he is completely and utterly untrustworthy.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1321 on: December 07, 2018, 08:13:42 AM »

Yup, I think it was 55. Evers only won 36 and didn't even win 2 (14 and 96) that the Democratic Assembly candidate won and won 2 (49 and 51) were the Democratic Assembly candidate lost.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1322 on: December 07, 2018, 10:50:16 AM »

Yeah, if people from both parties can’t at least agree that the moves of the WI GOP, MI GOP, and NC GOP are out of line and blatantly self-serving attempts to avoid the will of the people, we’re never going to get anywhere. Of course, I’m sure many usual suspects will dodge the question by bringing up Menendez or someone from the Illinois Democratic Party to “prove” that “the Democrats are just as bad/way worse!!!” I get that we’re polarized, but we’re all screwed if we can’t acknowledge when our own party is giving the middle finger to their constituents to consolidate power.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1323 on: December 07, 2018, 12:19:40 PM »

Yeah, if people from both parties can’t at least agree that the moves of the WI GOP, MI GOP, and NC GOP are out of line and blatantly self-serving attempts to avoid the will of the people, we’re never going to get anywhere. Of course, I’m sure many usual suspects will dodge the question by bringing up Menendez or someone from the Illinois Democratic Party to “prove” that “the Democrats are just as bad/way worse!!!” I get that we’re polarized, but we’re all screwed if we can’t acknowledge when our own party is giving the middle finger to their constituents to consolidate power.

The moves are heralded by the conservatives in the burbs here right now. It's to stop Evers "from bending us over and bleeding us dry" which would somehow happen with a Republican legislature? There's also the #ResistEvers meme right now going around heavily too.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1324 on: December 07, 2018, 12:30:35 PM »

The moves are heralded by the conservatives in the burbs here right now. It's to stop Evers "from bending us over and bleeding us dry" which would somehow happen with a Republican legislature? There's also the #ResistEvers meme right now going around heavily too.

Downright sad
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 72  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies