Should we really be ruling out a Hillary 2020 run? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 07:35:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Should we really be ruling out a Hillary 2020 run? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Should we really be ruling out a Hillary 2020 run?  (Read 5187 times)
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: May 18, 2017, 12:39:25 PM »

Maybe we shouldn't rule out a run, but she's not winning the Democratic primary.

Never underestimate the Dems ability to flush their electoral chances down the toilet. If she runs, it means the party has learned nothing, and likely everybody will clear the way for her nomination again.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 03:48:19 PM »

Third time was the charm for Reagan.

Nixon came back and won after losing a national election.

I believe in Hillary. Sexist teenagers on forum boards cannot stop her.

Reagan never lost the General, and Nixon didn't lose against one of the most hated candidates in history. And calling people sexist for not supporting a do-over from an incompetent, widely unpopular candidate who managed to lose three longtime Dem states to Trump of all people, is nothing short of hackery and is not the best way to convince people to support a third run.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 04:30:09 PM »

Third time was the charm for Reagan.

Nixon came back and won after losing a national election.

I believe in Hillary. Sexist teenagers on forum boards cannot stop her.

Reagan never lost the General, and Nixon didn't lose against one of the most hated candidates in history. And calling people sexist for not supporting a do-over from an incompetent, widely unpopular candidate who managed to lose three longtime Dem states to Trump of all people, is nothing short of hackery and is not the best way to convince people to support a third run.

Comey isn't a factor anymore so her poll numbers in regards to favorability will be very high this time. By 2020 millennials will make up just under 40% of the electorate and they will vote for her in vengeance over what Donald Trump having realized the error of their ways in 2016.

Madame. President. 2020.

I do hope this is sarcasm. I really do.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 04:50:45 PM »

I hate to break it to you Timmy, but the online sexists won, and decency lost, as the former had the patriarchy behind them.

Sexism isn't to blame for Clinton's incompetence--he people that refused to vote for her because she was a woman, would likely not have voted for any Democrat in the first place. And going with this reason makes the same mistakes of nominating somebody who is reviled and unable to run a competent campaign even more likely to be repeated.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 04:59:41 PM »
« Edited: May 18, 2017, 05:03:15 PM by Hammy »

I hate to break it to you Timmy, but the online sexists won, and decency lost, as the former had the patriarchy behind them.

Sexism isn't to blame for Clinton's incompetence--he people that refused to vote for her because she was a woman, would likely not have voted for any Democrat in the first place. And going with this reason makes the same mistakes of nominating somebody who is reviled and unable to run a competent campaign even more likely to be repeated.

Seriously, is there ANYTHING worse than the smug, self-assuring look of liberal political commentators who repeat this COMPLETELY baseless, self-congratulating trope?  Someone who refuses to vote for any woman couldn't vote for a male Democrat regularly?  Show me the proof of that bullshlt, LOL.  Until then, I'll trust my anecdotal experience, which says that could not be further from the truth.

Based on personal experience, this has absolutely been the case. Everyone I've ever come across that refused to vote for a women (on those grounds) are all hardline conservatives--not saying all conservatives have this mindset mind you. And bear in mind there were many who voted for her as well solely on those grounds. And are you, a Republican, actually going to take the side of Dems playing the sexism card because their side didn't win?
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 05:15:04 PM »

Seriously, is there ANYTHING worse than the smug, self-assuring look of liberal political commentators who repeat this COMPLETELY baseless, self-congratulating trope?  Someone who refuses to vote for any woman couldn't vote for a male Democrat regularly?  Show me the proof of that bullshlt, LOL.  Until then, I'll trust my anecdotal experience, which says that could not be further from the truth.

Based on personal experience, this has absolutely been the case. Everyone I've ever come across that refused to vote for a women (on those grounds) are all hardline conservatives--not saying all conservatives have this mindset mind you. And bear in mind there were many who voted for her as well solely on those grounds. And are you, a Republican, actually going to take the side of Dems playing the sexism card because their side didn't win?

Tom voted for Clinton, so his preferred candidate didn't win. I agree with his claim, although conversely, people who cared enough about electing a woman president to the point that they voted for Clinton are unlikely to have voted for a Republican otherwise.

Anyways, to the original question posed, Yes. Many of you may think she's overly ambitious, but she's not stupid. She knows she won't win. The people who want her to run again badly are ones who want Trump to win again.

My "nobody" is a generalization and going on personal experience. But given the people that voted for Clinton because she was a woman (people who may not have voted otherwise) offset any who may have voted Dem but didn't because they won't vote for a woman--the main point of my earlier post is we can't keep removing the blame for losing from the candidate themselves--all the reasons why they lost need to be looked into, and one of the major ones was her apparent desire to expand the map outweighing the need to defend "blue wall" states where she was failing to make 50% in the polls.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 05:27:30 PM »

I'll just go on record now: if Clinton runs again, I'm voting for Stein.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 12:42:01 PM »

It would be a lot of fun to nominate and why the Bernieflakes melt, but there are stronger candidates out there.

Pure Trumpist logic here. Vote a certain way just to piss off a segment of the population.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies