Teacher Strikes (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 10:38:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Teacher Strikes (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Teacher Strikes  (Read 3634 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
« on: September 26, 2005, 08:55:37 AM »

Well, I don't exaclty have a great opinion of them since it screws over the students really bad, but I could see them as sometimes being needed, so they should only be used as a last resort.

funny you should type something like that.  I was thinking, when I read the thread, that I'm usually of a low opinion of unions, but I have a soft spot for public school teachers.  I agree with their general rants (underpaid, underrespected, undervalued, losing their authority to take control of their classrooms by PC government types, etc.) 

I really don't know.  I know all workers can and should have the right to strike for any reason.  And that all companies ought to have the right to fire their sorry asses and replace them with (not scabs) but permanent, but more grateful, employees.  But the public High isn't a company, is it?  and, no matter what H. Ross Perot says, it's goal isn't to make money.  So it's a little hard to apply antiunion bigotry to teachers. 

I totally disagree with the statement that schools underperforming is good.  Presumably Bono thinks that this would create more incentive for voucher programs, and the possible eventual eradication of all state funding of schools.  But one doesn't necessarily follow the other, and anyway a state that neglects the minds of future citizens is a doomed state. 

But, yeah, striking teacher screw those young minds as well.  I'm on a fence about my opinion regarding these teachers.  I'll have a Rod Paige moment here.  Not because I'm trying, but just because it spontaneously occurred to me to make the analogy that sometimes, even though I agree with the goals of freedom fighters, I do not approve of their tactics.  (wow, I just had a little epiphany.  a little insight into Paige's head.  that was kinda cool.)  anyway, it's possible to agree with their motivation but to disagree with their strikes.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies