NH GOP "Voters First Forum" **live commentary thread** (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 02:56:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  NH GOP "Voters First Forum" **live commentary thread** (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NH GOP "Voters First Forum" **live commentary thread**  (Read 19176 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« on: August 03, 2015, 06:35:58 PM »

Christie best so far, Carson worst. Bush struggled with his first answer, about internal security, because it really isn't that much of an issue, and he had no good answer, so he reverted to ISIS.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 06:39:47 PM »

Hundreds of billions Carly, not millions. Too bad your questions are no good, but you need to do better with what you get. But now you get you a question to attack Hillary. And that is your forte. But do Pub voters really want a cat fight? Oh dear, "moral fiber," the most overused and inapt cliche in the English language. Carly might as well stayed home.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 06:41:18 PM »

Why are they giving Fiorina these fluffy biographical questions, rather than the issue questions that the others got?

Because of misogyny. Really. Not intentional, but the questioner is just that way.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 06:43:55 PM »

Now the big issue of whether army base etc guys should have guns. How Presidential.  Iran deal bad. We need a nuke deal where Iran becomes just like Jordan. OK. Send in Trump, the master negotiator, Bobby. Right?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 06:44:38 PM »

Eh. A lot of debaters speak fast. You learn it in high school or college.

Plus the 5 minute time limit thing. Get your stuff out ASAP.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 06:48:24 PM »

The moderator clearly loves Walker. Hey, governor, tell us why you are so great? What have you done for Wisconsin, like on those evil unions, and so forth? Now third Wisconsin question, hey governor, how did you tame the Wisconsin budget? Thanks, I tamed it, I slashed waste. LOL.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 06:49:20 PM »

Walker is crushing this. Best so far.

I think he must have written the questions out for the moderator.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 07:54:10 PM »

'We all benefit when the government shrinks."

You know, except the millions who depend on government, and the millions more who work for it.

Gotta wean the former

Why?

Letting people who can work depend on the government, especially welfare, when they could do otherwise is too expensive, creates a culture of laziness, and wastes potential tax revenue.

People are always going to be dependent on something, hon.

I thought the idea of being able to deduct principal repayments from taxable income for student debt an interesting one. It creates the right incentives.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 07:56:40 PM »

Now I see why Rubio has lost over half his support...

Clearly. He's done. Sad really. He's way too immature and shallow.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 07:57:48 PM »

Jeb was a mess at the end. Ouch!
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 08:03:00 PM »

Kasich, Paul and Walker did best IMO.

Yes, in the sense they accomplished the most for themselves. Christie was good, but I don't think he branched out, and took a risk anywhere.

Bush and Rubio were the big losers in the top tier I think. Fortunately for them, this event does not matter much. But it suggests the limits of their abilities.

I wonder if Kasich will start eating into the Jeb vote.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 08:04:29 PM »

As a Democrat, I thought the strongest overall was Graham.

You want to conquer Syria too on the ground, with the US leading a coalition? Graham knows what he's talking about, as far as depth, but his delivery was unfortunate.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 08:47:40 PM »

Pedestrian write up, but then not much time to write it up.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 08:50:48 PM »

I'm sure dudeabides would be happy to PM it to you.

I am thankful to the posters here who have respectfully disagreed with me, and I am thankful to the posters who clearly are my allies. Some like to attack me for my support of Governor Bush, they call me a troll or say that I’m delusional. That’s fine, I can take the heat. But, I think my critics should at least understand where I come from and why I support Jeb Bush for President.

I am optimistic about the future of America, but Barack Obama’s policies have failed us, and he would rather divide people than appeal to our hopes and dreams. I believe in the principles of limited government, free markets, and a foreign policy where America is a leader in the world, but not the police of the world, and where we always protect our security interests. In January, I researched several prospective presidential candidates, their values, and their records. I’ve admired Jeb Bush’s leadership for years and found that on the economy and reforming government, he’s the candidate with the best track record. He also has diversity of experience, isn’t afraid to make decisions, and he appeals to people’s hopes in an era when we have a President who wants people to vote based on their fears. I also happen to agree with Jeb Bush on the issues.

I knew going into this process I could not support Rand Paul because of his opposition to Iranian sanctions, the Patriot Act, and his lack of judgement in foreign affairs. I knew going in that Ted Cruz can’t win and is too inexperienced. Donald Trump is to the left of Hillary Clinton and is clueless on the economy and foreign policy. I like and admire Scott Walker, John Kasich, Bobby Jindal, Carly Fiorina, Mike Huckabee, Marco Rubio, Lindsey Graham, and I’ve gained respect for Rick Perry. But, simply put, Jeb Bush is the best qualified, he’s got the best record, I agree with his vision, and he is the best able to defeat the Democrats and lead this country.

So, for the last time. I do not profit from supporting Jeb Bush. I do not volunteer for Bush's campaign, though I will in due time. I am not with Jeb Bush on 100% of the issues, but I am on most things. I don't think his father and brother were great Presidents, I think they were good, and I'm not judging Jeb on George H.W. or George W's record, that wouldn't be fair. I see the candidate's flaws - he has embraced common core and I get that the fact that he had investments in companies that benefited from Obamacare could cause problems for him. But I will defend facts AND my opinions, and the rights of others to express their opinions. 

That's a nice statement, but this chit chat here is more about debate performance, and less about who the Pubs should nominate, and who would make the best POTUS out of the bunch. I am open to Jeb, but thought his performance was undisciplined and lacking. He needs to get his act together, and soon, or he's going to fall by the way side imo.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 07:19:00 AM »
« Edited: August 04, 2015, 07:24:14 AM by Torie »

This is a snarky - and thus entertaining - review of last night's performance.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2015, 06:19:21 PM »

This is a snarky - and thus entertaining - review of last night's performance.

The part of that article that says that Rand Paul said that we should collection information more on terrorists than civilians "without explaining how one does that" is bizarre to me. Paul clearly discussed the warrant process and historical examples of failure to follow up on leads, and spent enough time on it to almost belabor the point.

Fair point. The guy was an a mission other than hewing slavishly to absolute accuracy. He was availing himself of his literary license.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies