Labour Party (UK) Leadership Election, 2016 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:14:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Labour Party (UK) Leadership Election, 2016 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Labour Party (UK) Leadership Election, 2016  (Read 57503 times)
joevsimp

Political Matrix
E: -5.95, S: -4.00

« on: July 12, 2016, 03:49:55 PM »

Yeah, he had 49% of members and 56% of unions and affiliated groups. 

I expected them to raise the amount for registered supporters although maybe not as much as £25: I didn't expect a six-month membership freeze and that's something that I think is incredibly unfair; its normal to have a cut-off point but that's just obscene.

well to benchmark it, its "twice as long as the Tory party's" (not that they even got as far as having a members' ballot anyway, has anyone suggested going back to the leader being elected solely bt the PLP?)
joevsimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 12:50:27 AM »

Come on guys, there's no need to lose your heads over this. I don't think running on a policy of "IF everything has gone to pot and Britain is a dystopian wasteland in 2020 because of Brexit THEN we should try to rejoin the EU" is going to guarantee a landslide for the tories. Smith is by no means a great candidate, but it's not like he just announced Labour should campaign in favour of murdering kittens.

Anyway this pretty sums up my view of this election:

I really Don't understand why Smith (or Tim Farron for that matter) thinks that doubling down on Europe is a good move.  Fair enough that 75% of Labour voters voted Remain, but what about the millions that they've lost to Ukip, the Tories and not voting in the GE that (according to the media narrative at least) were the bedrock of the Leave vote?

slightly off topic but I think that the various tattered parts of the Remain camp need to put the Referendum firmly behind them and the parties on the centre left need to set out how we'll protect the economy/ environment/human rights/workers' rights better and what we'll do differently from the right with the powers being repatriated, rather than just trying to convince people that they were wrong. If Scotland had voted for Independence, I doubt that any Scots Conservative, Labour or LibDem leadership contenders would be proposing that Scotland rejoins the UK after another referendum. 
joevsimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 11:16:34 AM »
« Edited: September 22, 2016, 11:20:01 AM by joevsimp »

Quality trolling by parts of the PLP here...

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cs8Y2VkXgAAAXuv.jpg[/img

Because Israel is suchan excellent and potentially damage-free choice of political football to start kicking about...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies