Post Random Maps Here 2.0.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 12:22:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Post Random Maps Here 2.0.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 80
Author Topic: Post Random Maps Here 2.0.  (Read 209924 times)
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: December 08, 2017, 08:06:05 PM »

It's oddly satisfying to see a blue-Democrat red-Republican map on this forum for once

I mean I get why Dems are Red and GOP are Blue here, due to pre-2000 conventional standards that red = leftism, blue = conservatism, but why hasn't Atlas modernized and changed it. It'll be much easier to analyze maps.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #626 on: December 08, 2017, 08:08:19 PM »

It's oddly satisfying to see a blue-Democrat red-Republican map on this forum for once

Blame wikipedia, and how they use that color scheme, and people are using wikipedia stuff as baselines.  I wish wikipedia would switch to Red=Dem and Blue=Pub.

Red for a GOP and Blue for DEM predates Wikipedia by 1 year, and Wikipedia isn't driving the color conventions, parties, media, and culture dictates that red=gop, blue=dems.
BigVic
Australia

« Reply #627 on: December 08, 2017, 09:47:38 PM »
« Edited: December 08, 2017, 11:29:19 PM by BigVic »

2016 - A close shave. After recounts in PA, NH with MI undecided for more than 3 weeks, Hillary Clinton wins the state by just over 800 votes and a narrow electoral college victory. Trump concedes after the Michigan recount, protests break out  with Trump supporters calling the Michigan results "rigged"

Earned Electoral College votes
Fmr. Sec of State Hillary Clinton (D-NY)/Sen. Timothy M. Kaine (D-VA) 278 47.5%
Businessman Donald J. Trump (R-NY)/Gov. Michael R. Pence (R-IN) 260 43.8%
Fmr Gov. Gary E. Johnson (L-NM)/Fmr. Gov. William F. Weld (L-MA) 0 4.1%
Ms. Jill E. Stein (G-MA)/Mr. Amaju E. Baraka (G-IL) 2.1% 0
CIA Dir. D. Evan McMullin (I-UT)/Ms. Mindy Finn (I-TX) 1.6% 0
Others 0.9%

The Electoral College vote
Clinton - 274
Trump - 255
Sanders - 3
Romney -2
Kasich - 2
Cruz - 1
Spotted Eagle - 1
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #628 on: December 09, 2017, 05:46:57 PM »

Alternate 1916

President Wilson - 266 votes, 48.3%
Justice Hughes - 265 votes, 47.7%

(Actual result)

Wilson - 277 votes, 49.2%
Hughes - 254 votes, 46.1%
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #629 on: December 09, 2017, 08:37:31 PM »

Barack Obama/Blanche Lincoln - 376 Electoral Votes

John McCain/Sarah Palin - 162 Electoral Votes

Do you guys think Obama would carry Arkansas if he had Arkansas Sen. Blanche Lincoln as his running mate? I think no, but it would push him to win Missouri since it was so close in '08.
The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -5.30

« Reply #630 on: December 09, 2017, 11:04:00 PM »

Its pretty easy actually. For the actual infobox, go to wikipedia and get a account and go to sandbox. Then go to a type of infobox you want on a certain page (Example: I want a alternate New York Governor's race for 2014 so i go to the actual 2014 results page) and go to the edit section and copy the code for that actual election infobox. Then past it into sandbox and you can edit the names and change it at will. To make the maps and add them i suggest to use Svg maps. Copy the svg map you want and download inkscape or something like it like Gimp. From there (at least in inkscape) go to XML editor and all you do from there is fill in the map at your will. When your done, export the file as a png and upload it to wikipedia commons. From there copy the thumbnail link to the picture once your down unloading it and past it into the map section of the infobox which should be there for any infoboxes with maps. Change the thumbnail part to the size of the thumbnail you want. I suggest 300px
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #631 on: December 10, 2017, 04:30:34 PM »

This is a map I made based on a playthrough of a browser game called Win the White House... and as you can see it's a mess.

I played as a Dem from Texas, and I won a bunch of states but lost of a bunch of states in weird ass ways. Like... losing VT and MA and DC but winning NY, GA, and SC. I supported standard dem issues like pro-choice, pro-LGBTQ, healthcare reform, public education, etc.

Sen. Steven Smith/Sen. Ana Mendez - 382 Electoral Votes

Gov. Melinda Rose/Sen. Michael Hew - 156 Electoral Votes

Swing states at the end were Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Nevada, and North Carolina. I was initially on track to win all four but Rose took NC by a hair.
WestVegeta
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -2.43

« Reply #632 on: December 10, 2017, 06:11:17 PM »

Kirsten Gillibrand/Martin Heinrich 297 EVs and ~51% popular vote

Donald Trump/Mike Pence 188 EVs and ~48% popular vote

53 toss-up EVs

I would nut over that ticket
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #633 on: December 10, 2017, 07:03:23 PM »

Sen. Samuel Smith (D-Missouri) // Fmr. Sec. Danica Roem (D-Virginia) - ~400 votes, 52.0%
Pres. Bailey Vigil (R-Pennsylvania) // Vice Pres. Francis Suarez (R-Florida) - ~350 votes, 46.6%
WestVegeta
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #634 on: December 10, 2017, 07:47:12 PM »

Here's my iCivics run.

The winner was Senator Nathan W. Blair (me), a Moderate Democrat from West Virginia whose populist-ish positions on retirement security, fiscal responsibility (with regard to large corporations), healthcare access (by way of a public option system, billed as "BlairCare"), and government transparency shot him to victory by taking the Rust Belt. Sizable turnouts in minority communities in Florida and (especially the Hispanic population) in Texas led to shocking gains there, as well.

Meanwhile, the Republican candidate ran on a fiscally-conservative but socially-moderate platform a la Mitt Romney, which, while praised for sticking to his guns, led to the dwindling population of conservative boomers to vote for the Democrat, who begrudgingly supported the legal right to abortion but advocated for "giving you every reason not to that the government can."

The selection of Sarah Patel, a former senator and Iraq vet-turned-UN Ambassador, as Blair's VP was credited with shoring support in minorities and a decent fraction of veterans.

Sen. Nathan Blair/Amb. Sarah Patel (D-WV/MO): 340 EVs
Gov. Steven Fisher/Sen. Maria Ramirez (R-VT/NV): 198 EVs
WestVegeta
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #635 on: December 10, 2017, 07:52:38 PM »

Also, considering this is more or less how I'd expect my run for President against a moderate Republican to go before I played the game, I'm going to blame my shocking loss in CA for my (irl) criticism of Los Angeles for having oil rigs in McDonald's parking lots, yet having the nerve to rag on the Rust Belt for fracking (which I support)
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #636 on: December 10, 2017, 07:54:02 PM »

Here's my iCivics run.

The winner was Senator Nathan W. Blair (me), a Moderate Democrat from West Virginia whose populist-ish positions on retirement security, fiscal responsibility (with regard to large corporations), healthcare access (by way of a public option system, billed as "BlairCare"), and government transparency shot him to victory by taking the Rust Belt. Sizable turnouts in minority communities in Florida and (especially the Hispanic population) in Texas led to shocking gains there, as well.

Meanwhile, the Republican candidate ran on a fiscally-conservative but socially-moderate platform a la Mitt Romney, which, while praised for sticking to his guns, led to the dwindling population of conservative boomers to vote for the Democrat, who begrudgingly supported the legal right to abortion but advocated for "giving you every reason not to that the government can."

The selection of Sarah Patel, a former senator and Iraq vet-turned-UN Ambassador, as Blair's VP was credited with shoring support in minorities and a decent fraction of veterans.

Wait, why do you get >60% in Kentucky but only >50% in your home state?
WestVegeta
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #637 on: December 10, 2017, 08:06:05 PM »

In real life, it's because I forgot to toggle the vote margins in KY, and in the game, I polled WV two weeks before the election (and it was trending R pretty hard before my media blitz), whereas with Kentucky, I was in the same situation but I polled it about five weeks before the election.

In the TL, I'm going to say that it was because I'd pissed off the (albeit a little smaller than now) coal miner demographic due to my co-sponsorship of a revenue-neutral carbon tax bill. However, this would take place in the 2020's or 2030's, so natural gas is (mostly, they'd learned from their mistakes and decided to use their gas revenue to diversify) what's driving KY, WV, TN, and rural PA and OH by that point, and the "revenue-neutral" part was being used to subsidize other aspects of those states economies, so they saw the (positive) results.
The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix

« Reply #638 on: December 10, 2017, 09:10:18 PM »

Here's my iCivics run.

I can see that game is not very fond of creating electorally sane maps.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #639 on: December 10, 2017, 09:47:10 PM »

Here's my iCivics run.

CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #640 on: December 10, 2017, 10:07:38 PM »

I love the game every once in a while but holy  it's not very detailed or sensible. The way the game works is that a player picks either a Dem or a GOPer and assigns them standard liberal or conservative partisan issues to campaign on (you have the choice to pick a "maverick" issue to reach across the aisle).

When you play the game, you have the choice to fundraise, poll states, launch ads in states, and make appearances to raise your momentum and chances in the state. The issue is is that instead of states having predictable stances on issues, like California supporting abortion, LGBTQ rights, and gun control, you have states like New York supporting big oil and family values and Albama supporting abortion and fiscal responsibility.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #641 on: December 11, 2017, 01:09:46 AM »

United States Presidential Election, 2000:

Vice President Al Gore (D-TN) / Senator Joseph Lieberman (D-CT)
57,531,364 | 54.3% | 533 EVs

Governor George W. Bush (R-TX) / Governor Tom Ridge (R-PA)
33,225,034 | 31.3% | 0 EVs

Fmr. WH Communications Director Pat Buchanan (RF-VA) / Activist Ezola Foster (RF-CA)
12,060,608 | 11.4% | 5 EVs

Ralph Nader (G-CT) / Winona LaDuke (G-MN)
3,204,579 | 3.0% | 0 EVs
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #642 on: December 11, 2017, 02:17:51 AM »

Democratic nomination, 2032

Fmr. Sen. Beto O'Rourke, Texas
Sen. Crisanta Duran, Colorado
Gov. Nan Whaley, Ohio
Sen. Kaniela Ing, Hawaii
Sen. Andrew Gillum, Florida
Fmr. Gov. Justin Fairfax, Virginia
Gov. Pete Buttigieg, Indiana

Republican nomination, 2032

Sen. Joni Ernst, Iowa
Sen. Raúl Labrador, Idaho
Sen. Phil Christofanelli, Missouri
Sen. Francis X. Suárez, Florida
Fmr. Gov. Cam Ward, Alabama
Fmr. Vice Pres. Nikki Haley, South Carolina

General election, 2032

Fmr. Sen. Beto O'Rourke (Texas) / Gov. Pete Buttigieg (Indiana) - 426 votes, 52.8% (3.8%)
Sen. Joni Ernst (Iowa) / Sen. Raúl Labrador (Idaho) - 117 votes, 45.4% (2.8%)
WestVegeta
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #643 on: December 11, 2017, 01:17:37 PM »

Here's my iCivics run.

No, no it is not. CA started out polling 60/40 Republican.
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #644 on: December 11, 2017, 07:49:37 PM »

The 2020 Election in The World Turned Upside Down

President Donald Trump/Secretary of State Michael Pence: 36.09%, 476 electoral votes.
Senator Mitt Romney/Vice President Tim Kaine: 31.90%, 62 electoral votes
Senator Elizabeth Warren/Senator Tammy Baldwin: 32.02%, 0 electoral votes
Anybody want to guess what happened here?
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #645 on: December 11, 2017, 09:40:53 PM »

United States Presidential Election, 2000:

Vice President Al Gore (D-TN) / Senator Joseph Lieberman (D-CT)
57,531,364 | 54.3% | 533 EVs

Governor George W. Bush (R-TX) / Governor Tom Ridge (R-PA)
33,225,034 | 31.3% | 0 EVs

Fmr. WH Communications Director Pat Buchanan (RF-VA) / Activist Ezola Foster (RF-CA)
12,060,608 | 11.4% | 5 EVs

Ralph Nader (G-CT) / Winona LaDuke (G-MN)
3,204,579 | 3.0% | 0 EVs

Stop... I can only get so erect
The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix

« Reply #646 on: December 11, 2017, 09:44:32 PM »

Here's my iCivics run.

Vermont is a glaring example as well. No "Moderate Republican" versus "populist democrat" scenario would result in Vermont going Republican.
WestVegeta
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #647 on: December 11, 2017, 09:46:17 PM »

Here's my iCivics run.

Vermont is a glaring example as well. No "Moderate Republican" versus "populist democrat" scenario would result in Vermont going Republican.

The game set my opponent as a Republican for Vermont, I tried to makes as much sense out of it story-wise as I could.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #648 on: December 12, 2017, 11:52:22 AM »

The 2020 Election in The World Turned Upside Down

President Donald Trump/Secretary of State Michael Pence: 36.09%, 476 electoral votes.
Senator Mitt Romney/Vice President Tim Kaine: 31.90%, 62 electoral votes
Senator Elizabeth Warren/Senator Tammy Baldwin: 32.02%, 0 electoral votes
Anybody want to guess what happened here?

In 2016, the electoral college is tied. The Republican House selects Trump, the Democratic Senate selects Kaine. Trump chooses his running mate as Secretary of State as compensation. In 2020, Senator Mitt Romney declares an independent campaign and is joined by the Vice President, who adds an even higher profile to the ticket. The dems nominate Progressives Warren and Baldwin, who alienate many moderates who go for Romney. Many independents and moderate Republicans vote for Romney as well (though more dems than reps) and it results in a three-way split, with Trump gathering his loyal base, as well as most evangelicals and strong conservatives, resulting in a weak plurality but a huge electoral college victory.
Obviously though, you way underestimated the democrats. Trump would never win D.C. or Massachussetts in this scenario, and Warren would likely win the pacific coast, Hawaii and most of the northeast at the very least.
ScottieF

« Reply #649 on: December 12, 2017, 02:45:19 PM »
« Edited: December 12, 2017, 02:50:34 PM by ScottieF »

1968: It Can Happen Here

37 EV: Sen. George McGovern (D-SD)/Sen. Ed Muskie (D-ME) - 27.66%
210 EV: Gov. Nelson Rockefeller (R-NY)/Gov. George Romney (R-MI) - 30.60%
291 EV: Gov. George Wallace (I-AL)/Gen. Curtis LeMay (R-CA) - 41.49%

'68 is just as chaotic as IRL, but things are compounded by a huge economic crisis. Nixon sits out the race; McGovern is nominated due to a discredited and disorganized Democratic establishment. The result is a perfect storm that allows Wallace to easily sweep the South against two horrible fits for it, and eke out a narrow EC victory by consolidating enough support from western conservatives and northern white ethnics.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies