Ohio cabinet all-white for the first time since 1962! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:25:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ohio cabinet all-white for the first time since 1962! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ohio cabinet all-white for the first time since 1962!  (Read 4326 times)
Zarn
YaBB God

« on: January 18, 2011, 11:48:50 AM »

I think it's a sign of racism on the parts of people that criticize Kasich that they pay attention to race enough to complain about this.

That's a cop-out. Politics isn't color-blind; it's still hard for minorities to get elected or achieve prominent positions in statewide politics. Obama and Patrick are the exceptions that prove the rule. As long as the majority can blithely pretend race doesn't matter when they benefit, and that it does matter when they are threatened, it's not the obligation of the minority to unilaterally disarm. Also, I'm totally convinced that the people who think Kasich is doing the right thing here would not see anything wrong if Obama had appointed a cabinet entirely composed of African-American men and said they were each one the best and only possible candidate for each post.

I was worried that when this happened, some people would see it as a good thing and a sign of meritocracy, when it's a sign of many other factors, some neutral, some with bad consequences.

Stop insulting minorities! You're the type who keeps making an issue out of race.

-Minority
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 10:10:49 PM »

Again, it does not matter. As long as people make race an issue, it will be an issue.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 11:09:39 PM »

It's not about diversity for diversity's sake or race at all, it just is very odd that not one person of color made it into the cabinet for the first time almost 50 years. Was the pool of qualified candidates really that racially homogeneous?

It's about who is best for the job, not who is qualified or race.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 12:03:31 AM »

It's not about diversity for diversity's sake or race at all, it just is very odd that not one person of color made it into the cabinet for the first time almost 50 years. Was the pool of qualified candidates really that racially homogeneous?

It's about who is best for the job, not who is qualified or race.

I didn't say anything about it being about race, that's your fiction. What I said was it was odd that for the cabinet ended up being so racially homogeneous after decades.

And I do think these positions are based on qualifications, it's very silly to suggest otherwise. Best for the job includes qualifications.

You mention race, so it now about race.

Of course, but it is not like you just pick a random person from a pool of qualified people. Some are more qualified than others.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies