If Pennsylvania had passed the Maine/Nebraska plan (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 05:45:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  If Pennsylvania had passed the Maine/Nebraska plan (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Pennsylvania had passed the Maine/Nebraska plan  (Read 1407 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
« on: September 27, 2016, 07:36:08 PM »

More states should adopt electoral vote allocation by CD. Makes things interesting.

I agree with you.  In fact, I'd go further, but this would be a step in the right direction.  

Among other things, it would increase the likelihood that elections would be decided in the US House of Representatives, which I've always thought was the intention of many of the Framers, and which would be particularly useful in this general election.  

Some authors have also claimed that it would increase independent and alternate-party candidate participation in presidential elections, and some have even made the case that it would increase voter turnout.  

All are good reasons to support your idea, in my humble opinion.  The horribly-drawn districts in places like Pennsylvania (and Maryland) are irksome, but they are fodder for a different debate--one worth having, to be sure--but don't let any of these posters bully you or your excellent idea just because the Pennsylvania legislature has its head up its ass.  
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 05:42:43 PM »
« Edited: October 02, 2016, 05:45:59 PM by angus »

What if Pennsylvania rewarded electoral votes based on the percentage of the popular vote? For example, if Hillary Clinton won the state with sixty percent of the vote, she would get two for winning the state and sixty percent of the rest of the electoral votes.

I support that plan.  Ultimately, it remains the right of each state to delegate its votes, but I think that it's a good idea, and not just for Pennsylvania.  It maintains the Founders' idea that state legislatures should, collectively, decide the president, but it also gives us a finer-grained, more democratic process by which the states choose the president.  It would not have changed the outcome in most elections, but it might have given alternate parties and their candidates more press.

To be sure, if we value democracy above all else then we should move to amend the constitution to require the popular vote winner to become the president.  If we feel that democracy is over-rated, or are originalists, then we should just accept the legality and legitimacy of the status quo.  I think I fall somewhere in between those extremes; I really like your idea.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies