Pence signed it: Add Indiana to the list of states with "religious freedom" laws (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 05:25:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Pence signed it: Add Indiana to the list of states with "religious freedom" laws (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pence signed it: Add Indiana to the list of states with "religious freedom" laws  (Read 21442 times)
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: March 27, 2015, 05:18:27 PM »

What a wonderful fantasy world some posters live in where anti-discrimination laws are no longer needed! If only the real world were so perfect!

"Discrimination is over, therefore it's fine for me to support these discriminatory laws" is my favorite Republican explanation.

Racism no longer exists, therefore it's fine for me dismantle the VRA.
Women are now equal to men, so I don't see the point in this bill that equalizes pay.
Homophobia is a thing of the past, therefore it's time to empower homophobes.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 06:43:04 PM »

I think anyone should be able to refuse service to anyone, for any reason, when it comes to a business they own. The Libertarians have that one right.

So you're saying you support this:

Good to know.

I don't support it, I just don't think it should be criminalized.
See, here is where I diverge from this type of thinking. I think a company has the right to refuse service to anyone, but if they accept customers, they shouldn't than relegate them to a second class status. So segregated drinking fountains are wrong, if you allow the person in the door and accept their business. Does this make sense to everybody? I feel my logic here is a tad bit zig-zaggy.

So you're saying a business that refuses to serve black people would in theory be better than a business that served black people, but treated them worse than white customers?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 06:00:35 PM »

Indiana House Speaker is "disappointed" in the way Pence has defended the bill to the public.

If this bill is just a bit of red meat to the base in order to get Pence something to talk about for a future election (President or just re-election), I think it's backfired at this point. The left was always going to hate this bill, but a lot of moderates are coming out against the bill as well, and I can't imagine the right thinks any more highly of Pence than before; after seeing him refusing to answer straight yes or no questions about the bill.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies