CA GOV 2021 - 2022 megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 12:36:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CA GOV 2021 - 2022 megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 100
Author Topic: CA GOV 2021 - 2022 megathread  (Read 126515 times)
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #750 on: July 19, 2021, 05:32:00 PM »

The deadline to file was today we officially have all our candidates I went to each website and not a big fan of any of em John Drake is the closest to me policy-wise but I'm not in favor of electing a completely inexperienced college student so I guess I'm gonna have to vote for Faulconer on question 2 ugh.. Faulconer was a decent mayor of San Diego and he's not completely nuts and of all the candidates running I trust him the most to not run the state into the ground but this is a pretty horrible bunch of candidates.
https://www.politico.com/states/california/story/2021/07/18/california-has-41-candidates-for-september-recall-election-1388537
List of all the candidates their party affiliation and websites for yall to look at
https://www.reddit.com/r/California_Politics/comments/onepr4/california_has_41_candidates_for_september_recall/h5rgt28?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #751 on: July 19, 2021, 06:10:02 PM »

I don't know why the legislature simply did not refuse to fund this recall based on the grounds that it is too expensive. If Republicans in GOP states can ignore Medicaid expansion that voted approved then California Democrats could have pulled the plug on the recall for fiscal reasons.
sparkey

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: -7.30

« Reply #752 on: July 20, 2021, 10:14:07 AM »

I don't know why the legislature simply did not refuse to fund this recall based on the grounds that it is too expensive. If Republicans in GOP states can ignore Medicaid expansion that voted approved then California Democrats could have pulled the plug on the recall for fiscal reasons.

There's no such "fiscal reasons" so drastic to circumvent the CA constitution. Besides, the legislature's fingerprints already are all over the process, specifically to speed it up.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #753 on: July 20, 2021, 10:15:53 AM »

Newsom cancels regularly-scheduled 2022 election on the grounds that "it's too expensive" and "I'm gonna win anyway."
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #754 on: July 20, 2021, 12:14:04 PM »

There's no such "fiscal reasons" so drastic to circumvent the CA constitution. Besides, the legislature's fingerprints already are all over the process, specifically to speed it up.

We live in an era where elected officials don't need real reasons to circumvent anything. Like I said if Republicans can ignore Medicaid expansion, Democrats could have ignored this recall and let the GOP cry about it.

Newsom cancels regularly-scheduled 2022 election on the grounds that "it's too expensive" and "I'm gonna win anyway."

Not even the same thing, but you mentioning that a regularly scheduled election is right around the corner proves that this recall is unnecessary. $200 million is far too much to spend on a frivolous rehash of the presidential race (and that is exactly what this is). Republicans having a mental breakdown over not being in control is not a valid reason for a recall and Democrats should have had the guts to refuse to fund it.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #755 on: July 20, 2021, 12:41:52 PM »

Both the Medicaid expansion along with recalls should have gone through. The current Federal system is not built up to actually let necessary changes democratically decided by the people to go through.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #756 on: July 20, 2021, 01:20:24 PM »

We live in an era where elected officials don't need real reasons to circumvent anything. Like I said if Republicans can ignore Medicaid expansion, Democrats could have ignored this recall and let the GOP cry about it.

Not even the same thing, but you mentioning that a regularly scheduled election is right around the corner proves that this recall is unnecessary. $200 million is far too much to spend on a frivolous rehash of the presidential race (and that is exactly what this is). Republicans having a mental breakdown over not being in control is not a valid reason for a recall and Democrats should have had the guts to refuse to fund it.

Yeah, I don't think that you'll find much support for your view that the government of California should have ignored the state constitution and illegally refused to hold an election.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #757 on: July 20, 2021, 01:33:10 PM »

Yeah, I don't think that you'll find much support for your view that the government of California should have ignored the state constitution and illegally refused to hold an election.

I wasn't looking for support, just stating an opinion. After this recall fails another will be filed and another $200 million will be flushed down the toilet so the law needs to be changed or the legislature needs to find loopholes to stop this nonsense.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #758 on: July 20, 2021, 01:33:55 PM »

They wouldn't "cry," they'd sue and win. Now you have to pay the same amount to hold a recall, and you have to pay legal bills. Congratulations?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #759 on: July 20, 2021, 01:43:47 PM »

They wouldn't "cry," they'd sue and win. Now you have to pay the same amount to hold a recall, and you have to pay legal bills. Congratulations?

That just goes to show how fiscally irresponsible the GOP is, but really this is all a moot point since the recall is happening. But I'm pretty sure the GOP will be filing lawsuits when the recall fails based nothing but conspiracies.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #760 on: July 20, 2021, 10:58:06 PM »

Issa goes nuclear on Cox, in support of fellow San Diego republican Faulconer.
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.05, S: -1.13

P P
« Reply #761 on: July 21, 2021, 07:46:58 PM »

Issa goes nuclear on Cox, in support of fellow San Diego republican Faulconer.
I don’t know much about Cox, but he seems like a joke. I’d definitely go for Faulconer instead.
sparkey

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: -7.30

« Reply #762 on: July 21, 2021, 10:36:00 PM »

Elder is on. The judge didn't even think tax returns were necessary at all.
Crogers
Rookie
United States

« Reply #763 on: July 22, 2021, 12:42:01 AM »

We’ve got a state to save.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #764 on: July 22, 2021, 02:14:43 AM »

Who's "we," Michigan boy?
Crogers
Rookie
United States

« Reply #765 on: July 22, 2021, 02:18:55 AM »

Larry Elder’s catchphrase on his Epoch channel is “We’ve got a country to save.”

On his Twitter account, he now has “We’ve got a state to save.”
Crogers
Rookie
United States

« Reply #766 on: July 22, 2021, 07:05:20 AM »

Key endorsement for Larry Elder

I must say, I LOVE Markham’s views on anti Vaxers.
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #767 on: July 22, 2021, 06:52:51 PM »

Since I'm backing Elder, may as well kinda shill for him too. Here's some polling data from emmerson released yesterday.

https://twitter.com/stella2020woof/status/1418020006445600771

https://www.kron4.com/news/politics/inside-california-politics/larry-elder-leads-race-to-replace-newsom-in-recall-election-new-poll-reveals/

Larry at good ol 16%. Recall had 43% support to 48% oppose, 9% undecided.
Such an unsurmountable lead /s

Flyersfan232

« Reply #768 on: July 22, 2021, 07:05:57 PM »

this would be a prefect chance for the rock to get in to politics still time
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #769 on: July 22, 2021, 07:11:45 PM »

The only CA Republican who could have won is actors Patricia Heaton, John Hurley and Wayne Gretzky. Add Tom Selleck on there as well. They could have won because they are noncontroversial conservatives and they could have appealed to Latino voters and take back Orange County, plus appeal to blue collar Democrats.

Still Safe D.

CAGOP needs a complete makeover, and McCarthy and Nunes being the face of the party doesn't help, they need to make inroads into LA and SF...

Unbeatable Titan Susan Collins
johnzaharoff

« Reply #770 on: July 22, 2021, 07:31:23 PM »

So who are partisan Democrats going to back on the 2nd question?Huh

Seems like a poor idea to not have some sort of stalking horse.
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #771 on: July 22, 2021, 07:59:39 PM »

think they'll pick whoever has the best title on the ballot
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #772 on: July 23, 2021, 02:21:24 AM »

Issa writing that letter indicates that there's serious concern about the viability of the Faulconer campaign, which fits with what the race looks like to me. I'm not exactly the target audience of Republican campaign material, but I wouldn't even know Faulconer was in the race if I weren't the sort of person who posts on this forum. All Cox has really had in this campaign is the bear stunt, but Faulconer has had nothing at all. I wouldn't necessarily read too much into polling numbers even now, but his numbers are atrocious. It's debatable if anyone outside San Diego knows he's running, and nobody seems to care. If I had to guess at this point, my guess would be that Cox will win the recall vote based on name recognition.

The timing of this whole thing has been lousy for Faulconer. I haven't looked at his fundraising, but I can't imagine the numbers are good. He's not a billionaire, so in order to run a credible campaign he needed to rely on donations from others; unfortunately for him, there's no way that the California Republican Party can scrounge up enough money to run a competitive campaign in both 2021 and 2022. His best bet was to challenge Newsom next year, but once this recall came along to drain the pockets of his potential 2022 donors, he had no real choice but to throw his hat into the ring. If he were to pull out a first-place finish after all this, it'd make him the Republican nominee next year if he wanted it, but I think an embarrassing showing (the likely outcome) will kill his 2022 campaign before it starts.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #773 on: July 23, 2021, 12:30:28 PM »

Elder is on. The judge didn't even think tax returns were necessary at all.
The statute is quite clear. It says tax returns are necessary to be on a *primary* ballot. Moreover, it is in a Division of the code that says "this does not apply to recall elections".

The statute requires a candidate to submit two sets of tax forms, one the original and one with redactions - including some redactions that must be made, and some that may be made.

If a candidate redacts too much, the SOS makes a copy of the original and redacts the required information.

Apparently, Elder redacted too little, and the SOS interpreted that as being non-compliant.

Hopefully, Weber will be sued for publishing individual tax forms while acting outside the law.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #774 on: July 23, 2021, 12:50:43 PM »

The theory is that in the Gray Davis recall, some Democrats decided they liked Bustamante more than Davis and went ahead and voted for the recall as well.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 100  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies