SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 12:39:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 113
Author Topic: SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)  (Read 102887 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: May 03, 2022, 12:18:02 AM »

Thanks!
I'm the one millionth visitor!
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #476 on: May 03, 2022, 12:18:54 AM »

I’m overjoyed for the millions of unborn that will be spared in the coming years, at least in certain states.  Im also disappointed to think how this will cause further division and hatred in our country.  The only solution is to better educate folks that life is precious.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #477 on: May 03, 2022, 12:27:16 AM »

Will this accelerate the population’s migration away from religion, as more and more people get fed up with these people shoving their religious beliefs down our throats?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #478 on: May 03, 2022, 12:30:15 AM »

Will this accelerate the population’s migration away from religion, as more and more people get fed up with these people shoving their religious beliefs down our throats?

Lol. Christians have been against killing the unborn since i was unborn and im 30.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #479 on: May 03, 2022, 12:35:34 AM »

Lol. Christians have been against killing the unborn since i was unborn and im 30.

I will repeat this.

Catholics have always been the ones against abortion, evangelical christians didn't care that much for it until the civil rights movement ended and they needed a new bogeyman to replace civil rights.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #480 on: May 03, 2022, 12:39:17 AM »

I will repeat this.

Catholics have always been the ones against abortion, evangelical christians didn't care that much for it until the civil rights movement ended and they needed a new bogeyman to replace civil rights.

I'll happily take our brothers in Christ willing to stand on the right side of an important issue, even if they are late to the party.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #481 on: May 03, 2022, 12:40:06 AM »

https://dailycaller.com/2022/05/03/justice-roberts-fbi-investigation-scotus-leak/

FBI will be involved to determine who the leaker was, and that person may be targeted criminally. Rumor is apparently "a Sotomayor clerk", though that might be several individuals.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #482 on: May 03, 2022, 12:40:33 AM »

I will repeat this.

While I dispute this talking point that means by your argument the evangelicals still opposed roe what within 5 years of the decision. Thats still 90% of the decisions existence.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #483 on: May 03, 2022, 12:41:25 AM »

Pro-life isn't a generic "Christian" issue. It's specific to certain denominations and interpretations, but if you've read the Bible then you know there's nothing in there to clearly and definitively get one to the anti-abortion position. That's not to say it's necessarily an unbiblical position to be against abortion, but you have to stretch some verses to get there.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #484 on: May 03, 2022, 12:48:06 AM »

I for one, find it disgusting that it's even possible to "leak" a future SC decision in order to intimidate the court into doing exactly what they want (which is what this is, no doubt). The court's integrity is on the line, not because they might overrule Roe, but if they buckle to social/political pressure in response to this leak.

Has it been established that this was leaked by a pro-choicer, and what the motivations were? Or are you just assuming? It's very easy to see the argument that this was releasing by a supporter of ending Roe v. Wade to make sure those 5 stay in line, because if one of them flips now, everyone will know about it.

Do you really think with the amount of media and activism the left has in their favor that the conservative justices are going to be pressured to stay in place? Barrett and Kavanaugh have been notoriously flaky over the past 2 years, and complained about the court's "image".

If it was a pro-life person who leaked, why would they leak a victory for them potentially two months in advance? It makes much more sense to me that a pro-choicer would've leaked, as a panic mechanism to turn up the heat on the court (and the issue in general) to gain favorability for their side.

To your first question: many (including justices like Kavanaugh) would see the court’s image as tarnished if they were perceived as changing sides over public pressure against the leaked opinion. If Kavanaugh for instance had any doubts about the opinion or even hadn’t committed to joining it yet, he now has no choice but to do so; otherwise he would face literally the exact criticism that you gave: that he was caving to ‘mob pressure” or whatever. So even if he genuinely wasn’t sure about the decision his hand is now forced.

To your second question: the political choice here is obvious; shocking people with an outcome that is at least on its face unpopular (and even more granular polling shows people seem to very broadly support a Roe-type blanket protection for at least the first trimester) is going to generate backlash. And even if court-watchers and the politically inclined have been expecting this for a few months, this decision would have shocked people coming out in June. But now if it comes out in April while there are lingering doubts if it’s actually going to be official, and then becomes official in June when a lot of people would have already expected it or filed it away then backlash becomes a lot less focused and clear. Once you look at it from a political perspective it actually makes no sense for a pro-choice leaner to leak this. If it’s going to happen, you want it to come out of left field for most people and shock them completely. It could still be a liberal leaking it because they’re just stupid but I think it’s less likely.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #485 on: May 03, 2022, 12:49:59 AM »

Our nation is moving backwards, while the rest of the world moves forward.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #486 on: May 03, 2022, 12:56:20 AM »

This is the boldest claim that's been made in 20 pages, and we've seen a lot of very bold claims.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #487 on: May 03, 2022, 12:57:54 AM »

https://dailycaller.com/2022/05/03/justice-roberts-fbi-investigation-scotus-leak/

FBI will be involved to determine who the leaker was, and that person may be targeted criminally. Rumor is apparently "a Sotomayor clerk", though that might be several individuals.

I think for the sake of national unity, he shouldn't have clerks be charged for this if it was just them. We are already split enough, especially on this divisive issue that causes high emotions to come out.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #488 on: May 03, 2022, 01:01:19 AM »

This is the boldest claim that's been made in 20 pages, and we've seen a lot of very bold claims.
Countries that I would describe as "moving forward"...uh I suppose Canada very slowly and I guess New Zealand? I guess Saudi Arabia technically is in comparison that where it was like 20 years ago but that's basically a dead cat bounce.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #489 on: May 03, 2022, 01:01:32 AM »
« Edited: May 03, 2022, 01:05:32 AM by Horus »

Pretty sure the Ukrainians getting murdered by imperialists and the Shanghainese cemented inside their tenements would disagree with your statement.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #490 on: May 03, 2022, 01:05:08 AM »

I think for the sake of national unity, he shouldn't have clerks be charged for this if it was just them. We are already split enough, especially on this divisive issue that causes high emotions to come out.
LOL that's like the same logic some centrist blowhards said as to why Biden should pardon the Capitol rioters.

I'm not really opposed to the leak, but this is the dumbest reason ever to oppose prosecuting something.
MiddleRoad
« Reply #491 on: May 03, 2022, 01:06:30 AM »

Not sure how I feel about this, living in a deeply blue state. Abortion laws won’t change at all here. I can understand how those in red states would be upset. Abortion should be “legal and rare.” 
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #492 on: May 03, 2022, 01:06:49 AM »

After decades of misleading and broken promises, strategic politicization to milk pro-lifers for votes, and judicial disappointments on this front, it’s hard to resist the urge to react with anything but "too good to be true" here — call me when there’s an actual ruling.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #493 on: May 03, 2022, 01:08:34 AM »

At the end of the day, this is why I vote for Democrats, regardless of how much I loathe the party.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #494 on: May 03, 2022, 01:11:52 AM »

I'm starting to change my mind on the leak, what's with the opposition to this? SCOTUS is the least accountable institution in the country, and I understand that's by design, but why are they entitled to strategically withholding information from the public? If they're too weak to make decisions and face the backlash, then they're too weak to be in this business. Americans have a right to know which rights are going to be taken away by unelected officials.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #495 on: May 03, 2022, 01:14:46 AM »

A constitutional right is taken away from all women (and to a certain extent all men who aren't careful) and people are focusing on the leak. SMH. It's the internet age. Leaks happen all of the time.

As for the ruling, it is terrible by itself, but having this question ultimately decided by the political system and not the courts, could end up being a good thing. Now, if just people in general would wake up to the fact that they need to vote for democrats to achieve any progress whatsoever. The GOP wants to turn the USA into Gilead and yet some people think that democrats are the extremists.
Astatine

Political Matrix
E: -0.72, S: -5.90

« Reply #496 on: May 03, 2022, 01:15:37 AM »

so I guess that's the legacy of an old lady with cancer deeming herself too important to retire in Obama's term huh
Pulaski

« Reply #497 on: May 03, 2022, 01:30:07 AM »

so I guess that's the legacy of an old lady with cancer deeming herself too important to retire in Obama's term huh

Didn't RBG object to Roe and think abortion was an Equal Protection thing?

Either way it might not have mattered, depending on when she retired; look at Garland.
BGBC
joshva
Rookie

« Reply #498 on: May 03, 2022, 01:33:25 AM »

I'm starting to change my mind on the leak, what's with the opposition to this? SCOTUS is the least accountable institution in the country, and I understand that's by design, but why are they entitled to strategically withholding information from the public? If they're too weak to make decisions and face the backlash, then they're too weak to be in this business. Americans have a right to know which rights are going to be taken away by unelected officials.

This is a cameras-in-courts level take.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #499 on: May 03, 2022, 01:35:38 AM »

Then it's time to stick cameras in the Supreme Court.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 113  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies